If you were gay would you...

by Swan 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Me being me, if I were gay, I'd be open about it.

I can really understand that some people who are gay would be put off coming out in a forum where they will be labelled by some purely 'cause of their sexuality.

It's almost like;

Fred: "Yes, I'm Fred, I'm gay, I'm a rocket scientist, I have a Nobel Peace Prize for developing a cure for cancer, and I'm gay."

Other person: Oh, you're gay, that's abnormal...

*smacks head in despair*

I think some people are fantastic in the way that they seek to overcome the programming they have received.

Others struggle.

Some wallow.

• Sono
    Sono

I hid my sexuality from the age of 14 to the age of 22.

Not a day went by that I didn't want to die.

Nothing anyone could say to me about being gay could inflict as much pain as I was forced to endure during my time in the Borg and through the process of being disfellowshipped.

Since that time I have always without fail been totally open about the subject. In the 11 years since, I have never ever been harrassed or ridiculed or discriminated against. I think one of the reasons for that is my openness.

So, if here I found the reaction to my sexuality to be a negative one, I would, after letting you all know what I thought of you, simply leave never return.

My motto now is "Enjoy each day." How could I live that if I were hiding who I was? (Been there. Done that.)

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hi Sono, I wondered what had happened to you. Glad to see you here, and of course, posting.

This thread, thus far....calm (2 pages) - taking a deep breath.

Whew!

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Wow a nice gay thread !

Well here is my two pence worth. I am open on the forum about being gay - thus far have had no probs whatsoever. There are a few ignorant people on here who have posted some things that have p*ssed me off and I seriously thought about leaving the forum but there are too many cool people here to do that !

I dont in anyway feel ridiculed I just put the comments down to misinformation or education on the matter. I feel that I have been supported and I think there are some really great people in this forum and feel priveledged that people have accepted me for who I am.

I feel safe here, to be honest if it all went tits up and people turned nasty, I wouldnt really care, would just leave and keep in touch with my old pals. Would be dissapointed though.

I am quite happy talking about my partner, but dont like to shove it in peoples faces, at the end of the day I am who I am (as my old friend shirl said in one of her songs lol) but I understand that its not everyones cup of tea and I dont feel it should be forced on anyone. I am just a normal bloke (as is my bloke) and get on happily with life.

So there yua go - btw girls - can i join in on the hottub lol !

• Sono
    Sono

I've visited occasionally but I've just been reading. Things are really a lot better in my life now. Reading through a lot of the posts here has really been therapeutic. I'm still gobsmacked at the number of people who post here. It's really great knowing I'm far from being alone.

• Swan
    Swan

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who answered. I really enjoyed your many individual perspectives and answers. Hopefully some have read this thread, thought about the questions, and saw a different perspective than one they had. Hopefully some will bookmark this thread and return to it when the flames get high. It is proof that there are some here who care and that they are working on accepting, or have learned to accept, people's diversity.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit