Patriot Act reaches out and touches ME !!!

by Amazing 28 Replies latest social current

• manon
    manon

I've always believed "big brother" hard at work gathering information in the D epartment of Motor Vehicles Bureu since a persons drivers license is worth its weight in gold rich in personal information and most valued form of identification. Or perhaps even on some street corner where cameras flash motorist in the midst of almost running through a red light so as now you can recieve a moving violation via mail picture all included. I guess I was wrong "big brother" has infiltrated the public library system in the name of {"peace & security"catch phrase in everything Orwellian including the WTsociety} this one is a eye popper for me, who would've thought? Should the new line of thinking for the librarian be raise your voices in protest inorder to protect and defend the back bone of a free society? I was particularly impressed by these words in the article *If information is not collected it cannot be released* movement is essential. This was an interesting and infomative piece thanks for posting.

• dubla
    dubla

realist-

out of all these "patriot act" threads, ive yet to hear anyone worrying about the poor journalists.......most of what ive read is posters worrying about how this is going to adversly affect them, so i thought id share my incredible fear about possibly being carted off to a concentration camp sometime in the near future.

aa

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Here's a link to the Patriot act, I recommend reading it.

http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Surveillance/Terrorism_militias/20011025_hr3162_usa_patriot_bill.html

All wire taps are done by

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I suggest that we *all* move to an island that isn't under American control. It's scary what is going on right now, and the average American doesn't even think twice about it. They are so apathetic it's sickening.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

So, the sticker on the phone was a hoax, right? Probably a bunch of red diaper doper babies spreading untruth.....

Even if it were true, my question would be: Can you have a reasonable expectation of privacy using a public phone as opposed a private phone? Who knows?

The real danger has already been with us many years: Asset Forfeiture and Income Tax

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Thi Chi,

Considering the Patriot Act was passed in OCT 2001 I suspect this is a fraud from the Fear Factor Neo Nazi's.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The patriot act has a sunset clause in it. Unless it is amended or extended, it is supposed to end in 2005, i believe.

SS

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

SS,

I'd have to look again, however, my point is, the little red sticker said "The Patriot Act of 2002" whereas the Patriot act was passed in 2001. Somehow I suspect the sticker is fraudulent. Again, the FBI can't just tap a phone, they still have to get a warrant, what's changed is where they get the warrant, and what the justification for it is. Had the FBI had this power before, perhaps we would have got the 9-11 info from Moussai off his lap top before it ever happened.

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

DEA Uses RAVE Act to Shut Down Fundraiser

By Drug Policy Alliance
    June 10, 2003

Only two months after the RAVE Act was passed by Congress it has been used by the federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to intimidate the owners of a Billings, Montana, venue into canceling a combined benefit for the Montana chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) and Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP). One of the biggest reasons activists waged a national campaign to stop the RAVE Act was the fear that it would be used to shut down political events like this.

On the day the fundraiser was set to take place a Billings-based DEA agent presented the venue owners with a copy of the RAVE Act warning them that they could face a fine of $250,000 if illicit drugs were found in the premises. The bands – most of which regularly played at the venue – were also approached and warned that their participation in the event could result in a fine.

Rather than risk the possibility of enormous fines, the venue decided to cancel the event. This blatant intimidation by the DEA was obviously designed to shut down the marijuana reform fundraiser. Unless the American people speak out against this attack on free speech, the DEA will be emboldened to use the law against other events they do not like, such as all-night dance parties, hip hop concerts, hemp festivals, and circuit parties.

Sponsored by Senator Biden (D-DE), the RAVE Act (also known as the Illicit Drug Anti-Proliferation Act) was first introduced last year. It proved so controversial then that two of its original co-sponsors withdrew their support because they feared it would send innocent business owners to jail. Business owners collected over 20,000 signatures in opposition to the bill. Protests against it were held around the country and tens of thousands of voters urged their elected official to oppose it. Controversy over the bill stalled it last year, but Senator Biden attached it to the popular "Amber Alert" bill without public debate or a vote of Congress earlier this year and sneaked it into law.

The RAVE Act expands federal law to make it easier to jail and imprison event organizers and property owners that fail to stop drug offenses from occurring on their property – even in cases when they take serious steps to reduce drug offenses. It applies to "any place", including bars and nightclubs, hotels, apartment buildings, and homes. Legal experts warned that the law was so broad that it could be used to shut down not only raves and electronic music events, but also Hip Hop, rock, and country music concerts, sporting events, gay and lesbian fundraisers, political protests, and any other event federal agents do not like.

On May 30th an agent of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) told managers of the Eagle Lodge in Billings, Montana that the Lodge could be fined $250,000 if anyone smoked marijuana during a planned benefit to raise money for a campaign to change Montana's medical marijuana law. After consulting their attorneys, the Eagle Lodge canceled the event.

The Drug Policy Alliance, National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, Students for Sensible Drug Policy, and numerous other organizations have begun a campaign to pressure the DEA to stop using the RAVE Act to shut down political events.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=16134

• waiting
    waiting
    I suggest that we *all* move to an island that isn't under American control. It's scary what is going on right now, and the average American doesn't even think twice about it. They are so apathetic it's sickening. - country girl

This is THE best post! we *all* can't even get along on this forum............and *we* really don't even know each other! What would we *all* do on an island...........just kick each other into the water? yeah...................... lol.............good one! waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit