Patriot Act reaches out and touches ME !!!

by Amazing 28 Replies latest social current

• Amazing
    Amazing

Yes, folks ... I was shocked, horrified, and dumbfounded by what took place this evening. A chapter right out of George Orwell's 1984 ... Big Brother listens in for quality assurance. Even my radical right-wing conservative Republican sensibilities were shaken to the ground. What happened?

I used a pay phone to make a call. As I picked up the receiver, I saw a government sticker on it warning users that the phone is monitored by the FBI under the 2002 Patriot Act ... and as such any conversation I engage in I am presumed to have given consent to the FBI to listen in, record, and use any information against me in a court of law. They even stated the web site I could go to for more information, or call a toll free line to discuss any concerns with the FBI.

Am I crazy, or have we as Americans allowed our government a little too much control here? Yes, we all want the FBI, NSA, DIA, CIA, and other similar law enforcement to catch the bastards who might slam planes into buildings, or who might set off a dirty bomb at a ball game or shopping center ... but ... something about this just seems a little more security than we really need. Maybe some of you can explain this better and help me get it. - Jim W.

• Aztec
    Aztec
    Am I crazy, or have we as Americans allowed our government a little too much control here?

Nope, you're not crazy at all.

~Aztec

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Amazing:

If people read the wording of the Patriot Act, they would not be surprised at *anything* the government can get away with in the next years... Here is a link to the ACLU site involving the Patriot Act which will help you to better understand what we, as an American people, are up against:

http://www.ala.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Our_Association/Offices/Intellectual_Freedom3/Intellectual_Freedom_Issues/USA_Patriot_Act.htm

It's pretty frightening.

CG

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

No problem. If this was the old Soviet style authoritarianism there would be no warning sticker on the phone. Any person not wanting his conversation monitored would surely not use that phone – assuming he/she had even half a brain.

• Swan
    Swan

Am I crazy, or have we as Americans allowed our government a little too much control here?

Yes, we have, and you are one of the small group of sane ones to question it.

Tammy

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Unfortunately, when drastic things happen (Sept 11) people are desperate to do anything to make sure it doesn't happen again. That law was snuck in when people were vulnerable.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

But surely we can have implict trust in those who are fairly elected to govern with truth and integrity?

... on the other hand... be worried. Be very, very worried.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Yes. Our government has found the 'right' way to control us. I'm afraid that we have already started on the slippery slope and there's not much time for our freedom left, unless the patriot act is repealed when the next pres. comes in.....if he or she doesn't repeal it, I think that American freedom goes the way of the american dream....right in the shitter.

ash

• dubla
    dubla

i for one am completely terrified......any minute now there are going to be governement officials breaking down my door and carting me away....for no good reason! the entire u.s. is going to be one big concentration camp before its all over! what are we to do????

aa

• Realist
    Realist

dubla,

you or me are not gonna be the target...but independant journalists (of which there are not too many anyway) for instance could very well suffer from this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit