Using your anger to make positive changes

by Lady Lee 32 Replies latest jw friends

• ESTEE
    ESTEE
    My absolutely favorite self-help book is Harriet Lerner's "Dance of Anger."

Yes!...I read this book years ago when I separated from my husband (now ex)...An excellent read!! Went soooo well with my hundred years of therapy!!! I learned to direct my anger and deal with it in healthy ways....I felt a lot of anger when I discovered that my then-husband had been cheating on me. Getting in touch with my anger helped me find the strength to leave a very abusive situation. I look back now and value that very human emotion.

Lady Lee, I'm going to be reading "Course In Miracles"...it is in my book "cue"...I read "Return to Love" which discussed Course in Miracles, and is another excellent book.

Excellent thread!!!

((((Hugs))))

ESTEE

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

bttt for those who have told me they need it

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

bttt

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

This is brilliant Lady Lee! Thanks for bumping it.

It's helping me to make more sense of why I'm feeling like I do. I suffered physical and emotional abuse well into adulthood until I could afford to leave home, but I recognise most of the reactions outlined in feelings of powerlesness and psychic death, they are reactions that I've never been able to adequately explain to myself or others, perhaps because I've remained in that 'dead' state - maybe it feels 'safer' there because the dead feel no pain.

thanks again

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Glad if it was helpful to you

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Thanks Lady Lee for bringing this to the top. Anger is a tough thing for me. I have always been the sponge for other people's emotions, taking them on so they didn't have to hurt anymore. My mother taught me to do this well, since she suffered from anxiety and depression my whole life. My earliest memories are of me wandering into her room (or being sent in by my father to "see how your mother is doing") and seeing her laying across the bed crying and wanting so much to make it better for her.
    I have never felt like I was a child. I was very acutely aware of the feelings of adults around me and I wondered constantly, "Are other kids thinking about the stuff I'm thinking about?"
    I worried about my mother. Then my brother got added to the list as he entered a deep depression once my mom became a jw. I was constantly worried that either one of them was going to commit suicide.
    And with my dad, I walked on eggshells, his passive-aggression leaving me unsettled, never knowing how he'd respond to me. And at some point I developed my own death wish, just wanting so much to go to sleep and never wake. I remember so many nights praying to God to not let me wake the next day. He didn't answer such prayers. I wondered which ones he did answer.
    I can relate to the concept of a "psychic death." I don't know if the child I was ever lived in the first place. I actually have come to loathe the little girl I was. She was so vulnerable and open and she didn't speak up for herself when people took advantage of that openness. I hate that she didn't have the courage to express herself. I'm angry that she didn't know any better. Although a child, I judged myself through the eyes of an adult.
    One of the reasons I've been so afraid of having a child is the fear that I might have a girl. Being raised by a passively misogynistic mother it has always been a challenge to relate to females even though I am one. My mother used to say that women were boring to talk to. She had very few female friends, very few friends in general. Even in the congregation, my mother keeps everyone at arm's length. No one really knows her. Those female friends she did have while I was growing up were mostly much older than she--kind of mother figures, women who needed her care.
    And although I was "Daddy's girl" I never felt truly valued by him. They say, "No man is an island." My father appears to be the exception to that rule. He's never had any close friends. His motto in life is, "Expect nothing from no one." He's told me many times that he doesn't need anyone.
    There's so much to work through here.
    Anyhow, the more I heal the little girl I once was and attempt to find something in her to love, the more I love the woman she's become. Not an easy journey by any means. Yet every day it gets better.
    tp

• jgnat
    jgnat

Lady Lee, this is so very timely with so many young newbies fresh out of the woodwork, feeling betrayed by the WTBTS.

Tall Penguin, you articulate your anguish very well. Some children end up becoming adults to their immature parents. I am one, as is a friend at work. My friend has turned her talent to good use, she is a born peacemaker. She can calm a room full of entrenched bureaucrats faster than anyone I know. She is heavily in to her second pregnancy and I just KNOW she will be a great mother. She is nothing like her parents.

I hope you get the same peace, Tall Penguin, that there is no need to pass on the dysfunction.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

tp

Except for a few details I could have written your post.

Early on I learned to be my mother's caretaker. And then the caretaker for my 3 brothers and 1 sister. Being the oldest sucked. I got all the blamed because I should have been watching them.

My father was, quite simply, a psychopath who hurt everyone who came close to him. In comparison my mother was what we though, a saint. But having one crazy parent was terrible. It was my job to take care of my mother because without her we were at the mercy of our father.

Children get so sucked into the caretaking role. It is survival.

But the odd thing was, once I stopped caretaking my mother, (I was in my late 30's) I discovered she was more than capable of taking care of herself. She either learned on her own or found someone else to take care of her. She survived. She is still a JW, and probably stronger now than she has ever been.

My parents were always telling me to grow up but they refused to. At some point we just have to say "Grow up Mom"

We had to grow up very early. I spent time just being a kid. At 36 I was in the park at midnight having a watermelon fight with a girlfriend of mine - until the cops came and told us the park was closed after 11 pm. I felt like such and kid and it was great.

Stop and think about the things you needed as a child and find ways to give some of those things to that little girl who had to grow up way too soon. It isn't her fault her parents shifted the burdens of the family on her. She did the very best she could. I'm actually proud of some of the things I learned. I may have learned them way to young and I might have to change some of those things but I survived and so will you. That little girl has become a pretty awesome woman who is willing to take a look at the past and find ways to make it better

(((Tall Penguin))) STAND TALL

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Thanks Lady Lee. Your comments brought tears to my eyes.
    It's a hard road. I'm actually amazed though at how well I'm doing with things since I left the organization. The fall-out isn't as bad as I imagined it would be. I've been doing healing work in varying degrees over the past decade and I believe it has helped me to deal rather well with all of the change I'm going through now.
    And it's funny...even though I've left "God's organization" I feel an ever stronger presence of God and Christ in my life now than I ever did. Each day there's a calm voice in the back of my head saying "You're doing good. Keep going. Everything is going to be okay. I'm here to support you." It's a nice feeling.
    tp

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Thanks Lady Lee. Your comments brought tears to my eyes.
    That's your healing happening and it is good

It's a hard road. I'm actually amazed though at how well I'm doing with things since I left the organization. The fall-out isn't as bad as I imagined it would be. I've been doing healing work in varying degrees over the past decade and I believe it has helped me to deal rather well with all of the change I'm going through now.

As much as we believe we are weak the reality is that that little kid was pretty damned tough and smart. I often liken healing to peeling an onion. Each layer has its own set of tears or anger, or other feeling. But each layer we go through forms the basis for the next.

And it's funny...even though I've left "God's organization" I feel an ever stronger presence of God and Christ in my life now than I ever did. Each day there's a calm voice in the back of my head saying "You're doing good. Keep going. Everything is going to be okay. I'm here to support you". It's a nice feeling.

Well for one thing you don't have a man-made organization standing between God and you. I recall one prof I had telling me I was one of the most spiritual persons she knew. It surprised me a lot. But I was most in touch with myself at that time.

Listen toi that voince. It won't ever led you wrong. When I stop listening I get myself into hot water so now my goal is to keep on listening

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit