UPDATE on moving in with 4 guys

by Terry 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• Terry
    Terry
    LIVING WITH 4 OTHER GUYS

I recently found new living arrangements.

I had been living with my daughter. Her family bought an Airstream trailer so they could travel all over the U.S. and be Gypsies.

I searched and searched for new living quarters and finally found a huge 5 bedroom house with a bedroom to rent.

So, for the first time in many decades, I have roommates: ALL GUYS.
    What is that like?
    (Whatever you are thinking, you are probably correct.)

Who do we have in this Cast of Characters? Meet the fellows:

First, we have Sana, an Iranian, born in the U.S.A. He is well-educated, calm, polite, industrious, quiet and the owner of the house. (Sort of. His family has turned it over to him.) Sana is a person who 'cares.' That's a mighty fine trait to have in a landlord. He is low-key and 'dry' with his humor. He exudes reasonableness. Sana works nights at U.P.S. and is working on a degree so he can rise in management. He leaves for work at 5 in the afternoon.

Next, we have Andrew. (It does no good to call him Andy. He looks back at you as though you've made a mistake of some sort.) Andrew is quiet, owns a terrific cat with an exhibitionistic fetish for showing its tummy. Not-Andy loves to watch sports while sipping a light beer. He tends to chuckle. He does it alot. He's not much on conversation, but not rude about it. On the other hand, Andrew's brother is some kind of wild and crazy guy who has only been to visit once, reeking of weed and--let me tell you--he is the happiest guy on Earth (judging from the giggling.) Last night, the chuckling and giggling seemed rather festive. Andrew is gone from 8 in the morning till 6 in the afternoon.

Third among the fellows is Richard. Somehow I manage to scare the crap out of Richard inadvertently each time I see him. (I see these guys very seldom, by the way.) The first time I saw him, he was washing dishes. I walked up behind him and said, "Hi, you must be Richard." He practically jumped out of his skin! The second time I saw him was at 5:30 a.m. the other morning. I was waiting for my friend Bob to drop something off for me on his way to work. I was standing in the dark when Richard came downstairs and walked right past me. "Good Morning, Richard!" I said. He gave a little, terrified scream. It was slightly difficult to make him believe I 'just happened' to be there waiting on a friend in pitch blackness. I tried anyway. As Richard was exiting the house, simultaneously, Bob shows up and I start walking behind Richard, quietly. I guess he didn't know I was back there! As he reached his car, I said: "Have a great workout!" Yes, it startled the hell out of him once again! Richard is almost never in the house. Except when I'm frightening.

Fourth among the clan is Marc. I have never seen Marc. He just managed to move in yesterday without me seeing him. He must have moved his stuff while I was asleep. I heard him in the bathroom this morning. He showered and left whiskers in the sink. I'm not thrilled. Since he left early this morning and today is Saturday, I really don't have a feel for his schedule yet.

I am, of course, the 5th Beatle. I am quiet, neat, polite and usually gone by early morning. I return from my bike ride as darkness settles in. The only person I might chance to see would be not-Andy. I always see the cat (and it's famous white belly.)

All these roommates are under 30. I am 68. Do I fit in? Sure I do! I can ramp up the power on my personality enough to erase the age gap. Age is very much a product of ATTITUDE. Most old people have a terrible, crabby attitude. Young people don't like that. I am always happy and outgoing. So, that makes me fit in. I'm pleasant to be around. Except when I'm scaring the be-jeezus out of you. Also, I do NOT COMPLAIN. Old people complain all the time about every damn thing that happens. Who wants to hear that? Not me.

So, yesterday I decided to heat up a can of Chili. The stove top looks like Hiroshima after the blast! It has never occurred to the boys it might be a good idea to clean up whatever detritus spills into the areas around the burners. I sighed and ignored it. I refuse to set a precedent of cleaning up after the others. No way! Ain't uh gonna happen.
    We all have access to the kitchen and the high-speed washer dryer. I haven't done any laundry yet, so whatever overlap might happen isn't a problem yet.

Richard, I've learned, is a graduate student who works full time and still manages to take classes at college (as well as going to the gym for a workout at five in the morning.) He reminds me of Bluto in the Popeye cartoons. I think he has some sort of Medical Technician career going. Don't know for sure.

All in all, I mostly have the very large house to myself. Mostly.
    The schedules of the various Bro's is offset to my own. That is just fine and dandy with me.

There are 2 living rooms on the lower level (where I reside) and the kitchen is convenient to both. Floors are polished hard wood. (Sana is fastidious about using the Swiffer!) The sink area has marble flashing and the stove is gas. On the plus side, with no ladies around, the room temperature is the RIGHT temperature. If you are a guy, you already know what I mean. If you are a lady, let's just leave it at that:)

Every night, except last night, has been 'vewwy vewwy quiet'. I shall assume the arrival of Marc the Mystery Man as well as not-Andy's brother the Weed-wacker, had something to do with that.
    I do NOT mind 'noise.' This is a personal quirk of mine. I watch TV in my room with my headphones on (attached to the Roku.) The only disturbance comes from the cat who, if I close my door, 'knocks' to gain entrance so she can expose her belly on my bed. She needs therapy!

As various and colorful incidents occur I'll post them here.
    That's the situation as it now stands.
    WATCH THIS SPACE.

• Terry
    Terry

One big benefit in living on a different side of Fort Worth, is my access to a lot more interesting and varied places.

Instead of being stuck at the same old coffee shop, I now am within biking distance of two Starbucks.

Today my old ex-JW friend of 40+ years, Quincy Robberts, came by to see me from Weatherford.

I hadn't seen him in person for about a year because of his health problems.

• cognac
    cognac
    Yes, it startled the hell out of him once again! Richard is almost never in the house. Except when I'm frightening.

This made me giggle.

• cognac
    cognac
    Btw, you are handsome! If you lived closer, I'd be introducing you to my aunt, lol
  • imdone
    imdone
    Such a creative and lovely writer!..i enjoy your posts, you got a lot of wit in your writ as they say...i hope it all works out for you..
  • freddo
    freddo
    You certainly look a healthy guy - especially for 68. Hats off to you.
  • disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy
    Good for you matey, say hi to Richard for me (gently does it..)
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    So, how many loads on tha back of your bike did it take to move all your stuff? ;)
  • clarity
    clarity

Lookin good Terry!

clarity

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

TERRY!!!! You're the 5th Beatle, i love it! Yes I will sure watch for the updates of your cool rooming house and hope it works out well so you can be comfortable and live there as long as you want to.

Thanks for posting and also like your photos!

Marina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit