Not sure if this is the right area

by Zoewrex 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• outnfree
    outnfree

Hi, Zoewrex! (interesting screen name, btw)

I'm with Valis, too. Just tell your dad and step mom that you appreciate the positive changes their new religion has made in their lives, but that after reading CofC (which you said you're buying, right?), you feel very concerned about what they've gotten into. Nonetheless, if they're happy, fine, but you, too, are happy with your religion, therefore you think it's best for all concerned if religion is not discussed whenever you're together, as it will only lead to hard feelings, etc., etc. (in that same vein).

This way, you MAY make them curious about Crisis of Conscience and what an ex-Governing Body member has to say, but at least you and your child won't be the object of their proselytizing when you're trying to DEstress!

Welcome to the Board!

outnfree

• sezuhoo
    sezuhoo

Zoe - while I am new to this particular forum, I have been "in discussions" with the Witness' for a couple of years now, both over the 'net and in person. I would suggest anything by Ron Carlson - he is a well respected author on cults in general and (for a more Christian apologetic approach) www.carm.org. They also have a wealth of knowledge on cults and their effects on people.

Good luck and God bless. You are in my prayers.

sezuhoo

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

All - I'm SO glad this board is here! Thank you for replying and for all of your personal insights. With help I'll have more than enough courage, and ammo to discuss my concern with my parents and present a case. Last year they borowed a book that compairs many different religions and cults to Christianity and I gave it to my parents to peruse. They wrote notes, prayed (I'm sure) and said they understood my concerns. However, I really don't think that would have been the book to start off with. (The Encyclopedia of Cults and New Religions) I'm ordering C of C today and will go with any/all other recommendations.

The rest of my family (grandparents / aunts/ uncles) have all ignored this situation and my husband seems to be willing to do that as well. However I know someday I would have to explain this to our children and I want all my facts before doing that. I don't want to have to deny them our company, but will if it should ever come down to that. We have all been very respectful with and towards them...gone to meetings ... listened to 'Bible' studies and have watched this group embrace my parents with 'open' arms. Our daughter Racahel is 1 1/2 years and Dad has sent us JW Childrens books for her (aaahhhhummmmmm).

For their first year I was pretty happy for them - I got a break on Christmas etc...then the next year they sent me their pagen Christmas items :) {hey, it's all about me} Then I got angry the next year b/c they would email me all the pagen holiday information. Now I just feel sorry for them at times because they can't celebrate the Holidays or other special occassions with our daughter - it's their loss I know. You are all right and I need to protect her from their theology.

Zoewrex / alter ego thing...our cat Zoe is old and cranky...Wrex is not as old and isn't too bright.

Once again THANK YOU and I'll be searching the board as often as I can!

Tracy

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Zoewrex,

I was a dub for about 20 years during most of my youth.

Seems to me you want to dispute JW (and perhaps other flavors of) apocalypicism with your parents. Here are two good sites for info:

http://vvv.com/~csnobelen/witnes3.html - This site discusses fairly recent JW eschatological dogma.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/9941/ - This is a GREAT site that discusses the human fascination with "The End Of The World" throughout history.

Best wishes,

- NN

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I don't know if this would be feasible in your situation, but, you could just tell them that your spirituality is your business, as is that of your daughter. Family visits therefore, need stay on enjoying one another, not talking religion.

• datsdethspicable
    datsdethspicable

My family tried to study with my kids every time they went to visit to where my kids just didn't want to go anymore. They always come home confused or upset. I had to console my kids that they were not going to be destroyed or miss out on the paradise because we believe different from them.

I had to set my foot down with my paernts and family that religion is a personal matter that belongs only in my household. That is a subject not to be discussed with me or my kids.

• DJ
    DJ

Hi tracey,

I'm glad that you found this site too. Remember to check out www.freeminds.org and www.towertotruth.net I am a Christian too now but I was raised as a jw and my parents and siblings are still in it. It is a very difficult thing to have to live with. I jus twanted to let you know that my heart goes out to you. They will treat you differently now because they see you as a follower of satan. Please try not to be too downhearted but remember that they will always try to convert you and your little girl. Their goal is to hurt your spirit but stand firm in the word and use your spiritual armor to protect yourself from doubts and fears. I wish that I knew more to do to help but I don't..... just pray for them and do the research for your own well-being. They are in a manipulative mind control group and nothing would surprise me anymore. If you have any particular teachings of their's that you'd like to discuss for your own sanity you can private message me anytime. Just click on my name and send me a message or write it here!! I'll check back here tomorrow. Love in Christ, dj

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

Had a birthday yesterday - hurt when my Father didn't call...I'm 34 and crying like a baby...this sucks!

Thank You all for your Posts they have really helped. I ordered CofC and am awaiting it's arrival. My brain is on overload and so I've been going through threads jotting down passages I can work on while I'm with my parents - tomorrow. With everyone's help, I've got a great list to start with!

Will try to check in while I'm with them.

• Swan
    Swan

Welcome Zoewrex!

• Angharad
    Angharad

Welcome Zoewrex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit