Notes from the Convention

by Gadget 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Gadget
    Gadget

I was at the convention today, and noticed a number of interesting points in the program.

1Cor 10:31; "Therefore, whatever you are eating and drinking or doing anything else, do all things to gods glory." They said that everything that we do is up to our conscience, but how would what we are doing reflect on Jehovah. At the same time they said Jehovah is not a dictator...

"Pay more than the usual attention." They said if taking notes helped you to pay attention, take brief ones but it is not necesary because you can remember the principles. I always remember being told from the platform to take copius notes in order to review them at a later time. Is this to stop people looking at them later and realising how little sense it makes?

"Walk in the way of integrity." This talk was based on Psalm 26 and really laid down heavy on doing every single thing you can to stay faithful. Verse 4 talks about men of untruth in the congregation, and the speaker warned about watching those in the congregation for signs of apostacy and to keep away from such ones. Are they getting worried about it?

Keynote Address-Glorius Phrophetic Visions Spur Us On." This was mainly about the Transfigaration, although there was quite a bit about the annointed on the earth today being the 'John class', and as such having understanding of prophecy that no-one else did. Matt 16:28 says "Truly I say to you that there are some of those standing here that will not taste death at all until first they see the son of man coming in his kingdom." Sounds like 1914 generation to me.... They explained it by saying that they saw him coming in the transfiguration so this was how they fulfilled it. Sounds bit fishy to me.

There was also a lot of things said about accepting 'New light', saying that we had to be humble to be acceptable to Jehovah, and being humble meant accepting new information without kicking up a fuss. Basically, accept what we tell you or die at armagedon. Nice peoiple, eh.

Interesting point from the symposium on Amos. I didn't know that in Bible times Bethel was a centre of false worship, where on of the golden calfs was located! Not much has changed...Amos 7:13

In the talk on "Jehovah, our fortress in times of need", they stressed the need to keep associating with the congregation, and that this was essential to keeping strong. That must be unless your having doubts, in which case kick you as far away as you can(See above).

And in talking about paradise, did you know we're already there? Spiritually speaking of course. We've been healed of all our spiritual ailments, brought back to life spiritually, and being given an abundance of spiritual food! Sounds like heaven... They still spoke of the earthly paradise, but only in passing compared to going on and on about spiritual paradise. Is this going to be new light on what the paradise actually means? Is that why theres been so much emphasis lately on blindly accepting new light and they know people aren't going to like it? If so, I hope Simon has plenty of space for new members!

• Hamas
    Hamas

Nice work, keep it up man we're relying on you

• gumby
    gumby
    but how would what we are doing reflect on Jehovah.

So the dubs can eat and drink what they like........but also remember......"how would it reflect on Jehovah"?

That pretty much leaves out everything.

That question is almost as unreasonable as is the saying...."What would Jesus do"? It pretty much rules out being a human.

Gumby

• Gadget
    Gadget

Just remembered, in the talk on the perils of alcohol abuse, they gave advice on how much to drink. A person has drunk too much when the drink has any affect on their behavior. For some people this could be just one drink. And you should avoid alcohol altogether if your going to drive a car, operate machinary, go to meeting or doing any study ect. This just about covers most times!!

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

"Pay more than the usual attention." They said if taking notes helped you to pay attention, take brief ones but it is not necesary because you can remember the principles. I always remember being told from the platform to take copius notes in order to review them at a later time. Is this to stop people looking at them later and realising how little sense it makes?

There was also a lot of things said about accepting 'New light', saying that we had to be humble to be acceptable to Jehovah, and being humble meant accepting new information without kicking up a fuss. Basically, accept what we tell you or die at armagedon. Nice peoiple, eh.

And in talking about paradise, did you know we're already there? Spiritually speaking of course. We've been healed of all our spiritual ailments, brought back to life spiritually, and being given an abundance of spiritual food! Sounds like heaven... They still spoke of the earthly paradise, but only in passing compared to going on and on about spiritual paradise. Is this going to be new light on what the paradise actually means? Is that why theres been so much emphasis lately on blindly accepting new light and they know people aren't going to like it? If so, I hope Simon has plenty of space for new members!

Taking notes not necessary? Translation: "Leave your pens and paper at home, just sit and listen". Used to be that you were considered "more spiritual" when you took notes.

Accept "New Light" humbly without putting anything in writing. Sounds like they don't want to leave a paper trail. Translation: "During those boring hours in between meetings, field service, and your job as a window-washer don't go on the internet or read through all the notes you took at the convention or you'll start to question the latest 'New Light'".

Ok, here's some "New Light". Jesus' return in 1874 1899 1925 1914 was invisible, the definition of "generation" is like Bill Clinton's definition of "is", so get ready for some new light on Armageddon and the New System. Armageddon has already happened......invisibly like Christ's presence. This IS the New System. Satan and his demons and all the worldly people around you are dead.....spiritually. Sorry for the big letdown folks Aren't we so happy to receive our spiritual food at the proper time? Now keep those tithes contributions rolling in!

Mike.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    In Bible times Bethel was a centre of false worship

That is a mouthful isn't it? I wonder if they actually think about that comment. That is one thing they said I can agree with,............the modern day parallel of course.

• minimus
    minimus

I'm not going again this year. Going to a few meetings per month is hard enough! The obvious truth is that there are no changes in the manuscripts. They are a simple repetition of the last 50 years....And how grateful we can be that Jehovah has chosen US as his people!

• basics-for-me
    basics-for-me

"Pay more than the usual attention"

They always say that!

I am so glad that I don't have to sit through that anymore.

Regurgitated bollocks etc, etc, etc.

Bay64me.

• basics-for-me
    basics-for-me

P.S.

Don't tell me they spoke about the table of demons blah, blah, blah!

I think I'm post traumatic stressing!

Bay64me.

• gumby
    gumby
    "Pay more than the usual attention"

Ya know why they say that? Cuz nobody usually is paying attention.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit