Drinking during Prohibition

by Davros 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Booze and JWS go hand in hand, its the fun sin they can participate in

• Davros
    Davros
    Booze and JWS go hand in hand, its the fun sin they can participate in

Absolutely correct Rocketman. As long as it's in "moderation".

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

I can see a lucrative business opportunity for an unscrupulous MD to "authorize" the use of "medical marijuana" for JWs.

From what I understand it isn't difficult to get a doctor to write a prescription for medicinal marijuana. And "God Bless Them" is what I say. If reefer seems to ease somebody's migraines or back pain or stress or whatever else, who am I or anyone else to judge.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Rutherford got Bible students to smuggle booze over the border for him...so yes, well, they drank at Bethel for sure.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I was so intrigued by the quotes from the 1929 Watchtower that I went to a site and found the text of the article to read it in context.

It was a discussion of Romans 13, subjection to superior authority. Perhaps this was new light then as they carefully laid the argument to say that those authorities were Christ in heaven, not the worldly governments. Indeed the government's are here described as Satanic to which they owed no obedience, save for Christian principles of behaviour.

With that view they could choose not to obey if they wished. I dare say some still imbibed alcahol. Particularly given the encouragement in that article.

Nb. Dont you see the false reasoning in the article , comparing booze with bread , which are not the same at all. That is a "slippery slope" argument if ever I saw one

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Interesting "Earnest" they are still calling marijuana addictive. Even when I was a hardcore jw their changing the definition of addictive to include pot bothered me.

And as we all know alcohol isn't the least bit additive.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

This image says all you need to know.

• Earnest
    Earnest

mynameislame : And as we all know alcohol isn't the least bit addictive.

I expect alcohol would also be included if it weren't mentioned in the Bible. You can hardly make the use of alcohol a disfellowshipping offence when Jesus turned water into wine and commanded his followers to keep drinking it (at the Lord's evening meal - 1 Cor.11:25).

• TD
    TD

The 18th Amendment forbade the manufacture, sale, importation and transportation of intoxicating liquors.

It did not forbid their consumption and it was actually still legal to make wine at home for your own personal use

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Judge Rutherford condemned prohibition at the time and smuggled illegal booze for himself while he lived at the luxury home called Beth Sarim.

He always drove a extremely high priced Cadillac too just like Anthony Morris the noted boozer in today's GB members.

What about obeying Caesars laws as the bible says.

There are many elements of hypocrisy in the JWS from the top down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit