People Are Starting To Get Cabin Fever!!!

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We've got Beer on the go, 40 pints ready in about a fortnight, lots of seeds got planted, other jobs got done, but saved a few jobs, because boredom can be a problem.

What helped me pass the time a bit, and we have been voluntarily isolating since 12th March, was going outside for a smoke, but seeing as I have Asthma, and smoking makes you more likely to catch this thing, I gave up last Wednesday, I still wander outside, but with even less reason than before.

I think I will start one of the bigger jobs that I have put off for ages, the only problem is, with lockdown, if you haven't got everything you need, you can't just buzz down the nearest supplier, they are shut. Have to order On-line, still getting deliveries O.K, food, Bird Seed, Wine etc. Looking forward to when it all gets rolling again....one day.

• Biahi
    Biahi

My husband and I are both working, considered โ€˜essentialโ€™. My daughter and husband are locked down with the 2 kids. I was wondering, if after all this family โ€˜togethernessโ€™, she ends up pregnant. Lol

• minimus
    minimus

A lot of babies 9 months from now ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿฝ

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Simon we offen wonder if our youngest sons family will have to move in with us. He has a great job building nuclear submarines and his wife is a teacher. Sounds like they have it made but you never know. Now the kicker is our oldest sons family who are shunning us has a job of repairing air conditioners and his wife does not work. I wonder if they would call to live with us if things got real bad. Again you never know. Still Totally ADD

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

BTW: If you want something to do, I can recommend buying a home wine-making kit.

Simon, great idea.

I actually used to brew beer a lot when in lived north of New York City. It is not that difficult and you can practice with different malts, hops and yeasts and come up with some very good tasting beer. Even I do drink the watery stuff when I am thirsty (Bud, Coors, Molson), I much prefer a beer with some body and flavor. When you homebrew, you get beer comparable or better than even some of the craft brews and get it for a fraction of the price.

Regarding wine, I was friends with an old Italian brother in the next congregation near to us and he was quite the wine-maker. The only problem was that the grapes that were grown closer to us in New York State are much cheaper (Finger Lakes region) but tend to be very sweet. I'm not into sweet wine at all. I did once get a few cases of grapes from California but the shipping cost was quite high at the time. But as you say, the kits they have today are a lot easier to use.

As an aside, I once tried making a couple of cases of "Guinness Stout." It was fine and tasted great after the main fermentation. When ready to bottle, you pour the beer into each bottle and add just a pinch of sugar prior to sealing the cap on. This secondary fermentation is what creates pressure and CO2 in the bottle after a few days so that you get the nice head on the beer.

Anyway, I guess my "pinch" of sugar was more than a pinch. I went into our garage about a week later to check on it and most of the caps had blown off due to the pressure and "Guiness" was everywhere. You can only image what the cleanup was like trying get the stains off the concrete blocks on the sides and floor of the garage.

We live and learn.

Rub a Dub

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

If you are an introvert like me, you will get this! lol

" According to Google Trends, โ€œSearches for #SocialDistancing are at an all-time high in the US.โ€ Social distancing refers to measures that health officials recommend in a time of outbreak: avoiding physical contact, staying home, and canceling big gatherings โ€” or as an introvert would put it, a perfect week."

• Simon
    Simon

I think home winemaking makes way more sense than home beer-making. Beer is OK, but to make the equivalent to a Heineken is going to take a lot of equipment, it's usually not as good as the beer you buy and beer isn't that expensive anyway. But wine comes out as good if not better very easily and the price difference is much greater.

One other thing I was wondering the other day is whether people should start planting some vegetables in their garden. We don't know what is going to happen and how long a lock-down may last or what supply chains may be affected.

Maybe a small supply of fresh produce would be a good idea and even if not, it gives people something else to do with their time and energy (kids included).

• Angharad
    Angharad

A lot of babies 9 months from now ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿฝ

And they shall be known as coronnials

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Cabin fever? What cabin fever? I actually work at a supermarket, and I see firsthand what goes on therein. I have to work nights, when the place is closed, stocking the shelves. (That is, if anything comes in to stock the shelves with--often little to nothing comes in in key sections, and it sells out in 15 minutes.) (I also see how little they actually sanitize--they do a lousy job cleaning the floors, store shelves are as filthy dirty as always, and the shopping cart handles never get touched except the cart(s) I use for damaged or misplaced items.)

In addition, I usually shop at a different supermarket. There, they have hand sanitizer for people to use, and they expect people to use it before entering the store. (I doubt it will stop coronavirus, but if I avoid catching the flu beforehand, I have a better chance with just the coronavirus and of having a wimpy case instead of a whopper.) I get to see firsthand the product shortages and limits. Where I work, "Limit 4" means total in that category. Where I shop, it may be "Limit 1 of each item per visit".

Besides that, I have the Internet (at least for now--they could take it away from us at any time). For now, I can view (and download--they don't like it, but the way YouTube keeps locking my computer with their rubbish cookies and then hounding me to use their malware browser, that is what they deserve) videos on countries that are too expensive to visit. I get to see Italy without paying the plane fare (and cancer scanners) to get there. I can see different countries through the world--the good (New Zealand, Germany, Italy, Britain, Paris--even though they are ruined now, I can see how they were before 2015), and the ugly (Nigeria, Israel, and the third world countries).

Cabin fever sets in for real when only Walmart is open, the whole Internet gets taken away, and Noahide Laws come in. I do not like the garbage Walmart sells or pushes, and I am expecting an easier time with coronavirus itself (and even with the panic and shortages that ensue) than with Noahide Law.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'm currently building and lighting a 1:1000-scale model of this:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit