So who attended the memorial and why?

by atomant 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

The unwitness needs to watch his manners when visiting others. He is a guest and as such needs to curb his verbally disrespectful antics. If I were awarding marks out of 10 on the effectiveness scale, he'd get 0. I'd say everyone in attendance would be thinking, "What a jerk!" - and I would agree.

I have no brief to defend the Witnesses, but I'd react the same if any Witness behaved this way in someone else's meeting place.

• Rather Be the Hammer
    Rather Be the Hammer

I went for the same reason I attend the meetings: out of respect for my husband. However, I very much dislike memorial evening. It's like alle crap packed together in one stupid puppetshow. Crap: Jesus only mediator for 144000. Paradise on earth (where does the bible speak of this?) 144.000. Annointed. FDS. Partakers Numbers going up and they still believe their own prophecies.

Attending was down, I think. 74. (Some years we had 110!). The brother who did the talk said: nobody here is going to partake, we all have a hope for paradise. HOW WOULD HE KNOW?

• Zana
    Zana

I (UBM) went to accompany my wife. No big deal. Same way I go to church with my mother (a Lutheran) once a year on Christmas.

The talk this year actually was not too bad, if you can ignore the rubbish with regards to content of course. We had the CO present who gave the talk, and he can be quite a funny guy with good illustrations and stories.

Being there helps me in my discussions about religion with my wife, when I can slip in a thought provoking idea here or a little seed there. She herself sees some discrepancy there with the occasion being someones imminent death but many JWs only thinking about their new dresses and the nice restaurant food afterwards.

Now I am looking forward to our easter egg hunt on sunday where everybody is going to have a lot more fun than we had yesterday. What do you think will our children remember better? ;-)
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    The last memorial I went to was decades ago. The 'anointed' brother who gave the talk spoke more about Jesus than I have ever seen in any JW gathering. I think he was secret apostate and a Christian. He was so much the exception to EVERY JW meeting/speaker I've ever been to that it seemed wise to leave on a positive note. No one has invited me in decades, though I have been overtly informed by JWs about it.
  • Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Gorby and his family went to the memorial. Just for family reasons. To keep the communication lines open.

I have to say, I don't like to go but has to do it for the good sake.

Some were happy to see us, some talked to us, and most of them didn't show any interest.

Because of our fade I can see them now from more distance and have to say how overdone the JW

behavior is during the memorial. They look uber people, gods personal selected people on earth with their "kingdom smile". It feels that they have no respect for people who make other choices.

The memorial ritual is weird when you look at it from more distance. Paying respect to the bread and wine,

knowing that it's not for you.

When it was over, I did a little chat with some with real interest, about his electric bike, speeding

every day through our street. Fun.

And then we made the long walk from our chairs to our jackets and entrance through a mass of people watching you with a grimace, knowing that most of them don't give a sh*t about you and talk behind you're back when you left the building.

Gorby

• pixel
    pixel
    Me. I had to passed the wine + bread. I know it sucks. Plus because of family.
  • Irish Dame
    Irish Dame

I did not attend! I last entered a kh April 3 2015 when I took my elderly mother to the memorial dispite awakening to TTATT about two months previous to that date. This 2016 is first memorial I've not attended. What a relief!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Wasn't invited. Will never ever go again. I'd sooner die in pain in a lonely room with things shoved so far up my bum that I can't even scream for the agony. I think I made my point.

I really feel sorry for those that had to attend to keep peace with family. Why any ex-JW would attend for any other reason is beyond me

• baker
    baker
    It had the look of Easter on it with all the new dresses and bow ties and new hair-do,s. So much love bombing, just to tell you that you can't have any, so glad they told all to leave quickly so the next group could come in. Didn't have to tell me twice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit