The Danger of Settlements

by Tech49 182 Replies latest jw friends

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll
    I find it hard to believe anyone would write that. It's a civil case - it's only about money.

Let me rephrase that: why settle for a civil suit in the first place? The WT didn't spill hot coffee on their victim's crotches, they are fucking criminals who aided and abetted other criminals. This isn't a civil matter, it's a criminal one.

If someone raped me, I wouldn't want their money. I'd want their cock floating in a pickle jar.

• dozy
    dozy

I would imagine the WTBTS would look at these by a case-by-case basis - they will either settle before going to court or give it some court time if they feel they have a reasonable case. The Society lawyers are in-house and work ( effectively ) for free so their legal costs aren't really an issue - the only factors to consider are the level of damages , legal fees for the other side and collateral damage to the Society "brand". They know very few JWs will be hear about it or be bothered ( and will dismiss anything negative they might hear as from Satan ) so it's more the general perception in the community.

Reading through the reports on the Fessler case on www.jwsurvey.org , it must have been very quickly apparent that this was a train wreck in progress - the Society was obviously culpable in this instance as they hadn't informed the authorities which they were mandated to do in that state. The elders & Society representatives were torn apart by the counsel & the judge clearly had lost her patience. Given that scenario , it was always likely that the Society would settle.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

Thought just occurred to me...all witnesses know Michael Jackson....well everyone knows him....when all these cases came against him...he settled....so everyone said, he had to...he did it...because if he didn't do it he would not have paid the victims...this is what everyone thought....in and out of the org...I have a different opinion...anyway...if it ever leaks out that the org. paid these settlements...I think a light bulb will go off in the heads of the friends...now, I didn't say they would leave or think anything is wrong with that....but that'll start the ball rolling in their heads... their brains will begin to short circuit...because it will be hard for them to process this....some will put 2 and 2 together and think about fading, others will stay because of family, some don't care, they are secure in the org...

Again, if these settlements get to the friends, it ain't going to be pretty....I don't think the org. can keep this quiet for long.

Tor

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

A settlement is dangerous. A legal precedence is even worse.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    It's a civil case - it's only about money.

The statement is false.

For example:

Metropoiltan life vs Watchtower

Roe vs Wade

To name two. There must be millions of others, like wt vs village of Stratton. This case was decided by the US Supreme Court. Nobody prevents a plaintiff to appeal or at least to try to appeal to a higher court vs settling a case out of court for only money.

A plaintiff could ask for injunctionary relief so civil cases are not only about money.

In the Conti case, for the thousandth time, the appeals court found that watchtower did not have a duty to protect or to warn. The appeals Court also found enough evidence to find WT negligent in the supervision of Candance during a church sponsored activity, field service and that is all. This case was decided by the Courts, it was not settled out of Court but never did court rule that wt did not report child abuse to the police. In fact, US law finds abortions legal and protects the confidentiality of communications of a spiritual context in a spiritual setting as defined by the related law.

• kpop
    kpop

All I know, there more cases against the WT cult the better. Drain their resources, make their scandals known and eventually their members will know about it and start to question, "why didn't the GB say anything about this. I thought Stepehen Lett said it was all apostate lies..."

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    make their scandals known.....,

What scandals?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What Scandals ?

As in purposefully hiding instances of sexual abuse of children when it was known to be a criminal act, in similar fashion to what the Catholics were also doing for many years.

Christ Fisherman pull your head out your ass, you might see things with a brighter light and view.

http://erikanapoletano.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Head-Out-of-Ass.jpg

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Fin, the Courts decide what is legal and what is not, regardless of the view of a case , Fin.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

the Courts decide what is legal and what is not, regardless of the view of a case

Yes they do in review of the damage this behavior causes children for years after and the fact these perpetrators victimize other children even after they have been caught, makes for most of the reason why the courts have determined how to handle pedophilia within the population of which they govern over.

As in recent times the courts have determined that an organization, religious or otherwise does not have the legal right to conceal acts of pedophilia within their established organizations, when the intent was to uphold that organization's outside public image..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit