What Is The Most Popular Belief That Suckers People To Become JW's?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

NO HELL

does it get any better than that?

• wednesday
    wednesday

yes living forever is the number 1 belief that draws people in. followed closely by being a "special" people/having all the answers to all lifes problmems.

• minimus
    minimus

So, if it can shown that a person will not live forever on an earthly paradise, then, maybe, they won't stay suckered.

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

I think it's the whole concept of: 'We're better, we're special,' the 'Us' against 'Them' mentality. Also the thought that Almighty God chose them, called them as individuals to serve him. Must make a person feel pretty good. I walked around feeling superior for years and I was miserable as a JW. I'm so much happier being a sinful human!!! - Victorian Sky

• minimus
    minimus

People LOVE to be coddled and told how great they are. When new ones get "love bombed" they may begin to believe that JW's are actually the nicest, most loving people on earth.

• cornish
    cornish

Yes

Agreement with other posters,You dont need an ounce of spiritual longing to be a potential JW recruit,the JW literature emphasises fine homes in parklike surroundings prominently,with perfect health and looks,things that millionairs today would give their fortune for,if they could do it with surgery or buy pills for it,it all emphasises material longing.

I can remember calling on peoples doors and if they had nice homes and displayed a lack of interest we would sometimes consol ourselves by joking saying,'Oh well it will be ours for the taking after Armageddon.'

I'm Ashamed,but I wasnt the only one by far.

• mikelites
    mikelites

For me & my family it was the promise of seeing loved ones again ...not in heaven but here on earth ! i know that its what keeps my mother in the the Borg just waiting for the big A to see my Dad and her sisiter again ...SICK EH!

• Mulan
    Mulan

Being raised in it, I can't speak for what attracted me to it, but what kept me in was TRULY believing it was THE TRUTH and that we had something no one else had.

We were better than everyone else. Sickening isn't it?

• MrsQ
    MrsQ

Hi all--

I'm a brand new member--this is my first post! I was raised a JW and left around the age of 18 after I was seduced by an apostate elder...I was messed up for many years, but I am happy to say I've got my sh*t together these days. Both me, my brother, and my mom are out. Mom and Dad are divorced. Dad is an elder, (remarried, of course) and still tries to get us back...

ANYWAY--I thought I'd respond to this post as my first one:

I think what draws people to that organization is one of two things--characterized by the two major types of Witnesses:

1. The poor, unfortunate, and downtrodden who want to believe there is something better. They hate their miserable lives, so they live for the promise of a better one. One where they don't wear second-hand clothes, rent shoddy apartments, and live uneducated, hand-to-mouth existences. Or where they find the perfect husband. Or whatever else they are miserable about gets magically fixed for them. This is why the countries where there is so much growth are usually the poor "third world" countries. Whoever posted about the 'paradise propaganda pictures' was right on.

2. The elitists--either wealthy, or part of a Witness Dynasty (the type where every member of the family is either a pioneer or elder--usually owning a family business--rules of conduct don't apply to them). They are simply thrilled to be better than the rest of the world, and enjoy the feelings of superiority, knowing that they will have their mini-empires secured in the 'new world'.

There is also smaller factions--the 'nuts', the 'inactive', etc. They are there just out of habit, I think.

Glad to meet you all!

Peace!

Q

• ballistic
    ballistic

Hello and welcome MrsQ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit