What Is The Most Popular Belief That Suckers People To Become JW's?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Mini, as you suggest. yes. A reader of the history of Jim Jones will discover that he was a deeply moral man in pursuit of a loving utopia, a man obsessed with eradicating suffering. Very many cult founders are like this. I think CT Russell was of a similar bent, a pursuer of holiness. And the followers are motivated by the same thing.

• Matty
    Matty

Most Popular Belief? Well, I personally think they manage to sell the uniqueness of their product particularly well. Generations of Witnesses like to believe that they are the happiest, most successful, most blessed people on planet Earth and that the Witness teachings, Bible chronology & interpretation of scripture right through to their style of ministry is particularly distinctive and unique from all the other thousands of religions in this world.

• hippikon
    hippikon
    Re: What Is The Most Popular Belief That Suckers People To Become JW's?

They want it to be true. Resurrection, Paradise, Escape from poverty - Doesn’t matter what. As soon as they want something (anything) to be true it is only a short step to start to believe it.

Example: If I told some grieving relatives that nobody actually died in the twin towers collapse 9/11- they were actually beamed of by aliens milliseconds before and are safe an well on an alien planet. Many would want to believe it - Not all but some would start considering the possibility and from there it is only a short step to believing it.

Because they want to.

(Not refering to those raised in the borg - they had no choice

• Matty
    Matty

That is so true. Sometimes people so desperately want comfort away from this tough ol' world they're prepared to believe pretty much anything other than face reality.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Re: comments about new house etc in new order:

While I was a JW child, I was a bit of a martyr, and I knew deep down that the "new system" was as a carrot on a stick to some JWs, but I was determined to serve Jehovah even if it required death without resurrection . I kept reassuring myself of this. I suppose I learnt very well the process of self hypnosis, society style. Praying to God and telling him you'll serve him no matter what, even without a reward made me the ultimate JW fanatic (a.k.a. pioneer but bethelite wannabe).

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

I think it WAS (not anymore), the 1914 thing, that generation will not pass away.

The Watchtower played on this one for decades, making everyone believe the end of this system would come in their lifetime, and that they would SEE the end of the world. Boy they suckered people REALLY GOOD on this one, you have to give them a "little" bit of credit.

It is amazing how they keep it going.

So, what great calculation will they come up with next ??????

• Francois
    Francois

The same thing that appeals to ALL people who join cults, no matter if that cult is religious, political, social, or what have you.

1. There is an infallible leader answering all questions and offering an extravagant hope.
    2. There is a "higher calling" for a great cause the hopeless, worthless self may subsume itself.
    3. There is also an elitism which makes the worthless self worth something.
    4. There exists a powerful unifying force: hate, which justifies the animus to all who are "other."
    5. The organization takes over all decision-making, releasing members to concentrate on the great goal.

Actually, there are about 15 or 20 of these reasons, however my ancient brain can't come up with them all. You may find them all for yourself in Eric Hoffer's The True Believer.

Try it, you'll like it.

francois

• Scully
    Scully

I think a great deal depends on the circumstances that make someone vulnerable to the JWs' message at the time that they are contacted.

We've probably all noticed that presentations in the ministry are tailored toward triggering people who are emotionally vulnerable or in a transitional phase in their lives.

? Having a Happy Family Life - geared toward people with marital problems, or recently divorced people, or people with young children.
    ? When Someone You Love Dies - geared toward people who have been bereaved and they get sucked in by the hope of seeing them again in the resurrection.
    ? Does God Care about Us? - geared toward people who are troubled with depression or weighed down by problems in their lives.
    ? Why Is There So Much Wickedness in the World? - geared toward people who are victims of crime or violence, or who experience injustices, etc.

Did you ever notice that when someone started to study with the JWs, it usually coincided with a particularly troubling point of their lives?

It's also been noted that people who are happy and secure in their lives are less likely to get ensnared by JWs or other cults. We used to talk about that in service when going to lovely homes that belonged to happy people, who had good jobs, good marriages and good families. One pioneer I used to know would say these people "didn't need The Truth™ because they already had their own little paradise".

Love, Scully

• minimus
    minimus

These are excellent comments! My wife just mentioned to me that one of her friends said to her yesterday that it has dawned on her that "she is depressed because of being a Witness"! She is now talking to her df'd daughter and son because she realizes that they are not "wicked". Another stated that for the first time she has begun to read the Bible on her own and doesn't understand many of the explanations of the Society. I am appreciating that soooo many Witnesses really DO NOT BELIEVE in everything anymore.

• blondie
    blondie

I have pointed out that the "carrot" is in almost every WT study article: everlasting life on a paradise earth. The topic is in the title of the last 3 books used to study with new people.

A history of WT publications

1924, The Way to Paradise

1950, "This Means Everlasting Life":

1950, Can You Live Forever in Happiness on Earth?:

1958, From Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained:

1966, Life Everlasting—In Freedom of the Sons of God:

1968, The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life

1972, Paradise Restored to Mankind—By Theocracy!:

1982, You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth

1982, Enjoy Life on Earth Forever!:

1985, The Government That Will Bring Paradise

1989, You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth (revised):