Using Watchtowers Own Reasoning Against Them RE: The Governing Body

by pale.emperor 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Something occurred to me today. Quite randomly as i was working away at my desk i remembered an illustration from the Bible Teach book in which Satan claimed he knew better than Jehovah about ruling mankind. Here's the illustration from Chapter 11 of that book:

12 Let us consider an illustration. Imagine that a teacher is telling his students how to solve a difficult problem. A clever but rebellious student claims that the teacher’s way of solving the problem is wrong. Implying that the teacher is not capable, this rebel insists that he knows a much better way to solve the problem. Some students think that he is right, and they also become rebellious. What should the teacher do? If he throws the rebels out of the class, what will be the effect on the other students? Will they not believe that their fellow student and those who joined him are right? All the other students in the class might lose respect for the teacher, thinking that he is afraid of being proved wrong. But suppose that the teacher allows the rebel to show the class how he would solve the problem.

13 Jehovah has done something similar to what the teacher does. Remember that the rebels in Eden were not the only ones involved. Millions of angels were watching. (Job 38:7; Daniel 7:10) How Jehovah handled the rebellion would greatly affect all those angels and eventually all intelligent creation. So, what has Jehovah done? He has allowed Satan to show how he would rule mankind. God has also allowed humans to govern themselves under Satan’s guidance.

14 The teacher in our illustration knows that the rebel and the students on his side are wrong. But he also knows that allowing them the opportunity to try to prove their point will benefit the whole class. When the rebels fail, all honest students will see that the teacher is the only one qualified to lead the class. They will understand why the teacher thereafter removes any rebels from the class. Similarly, Jehovah knows that all honesthearted humans and angels will benefit from seeing that Satan and his fellow rebels have failed and that humans cannot govern themselves. Like Jeremiah of old, they will learn this vital truth: “I well know, O Jehovah, that man’s way does not belong to him. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.”​—Jeremiah 10:23.

Now lets try this in reverse. Suppose the Governing Body come out with some new shite light. Brother Jones doesn't agree with the new light and claims he knows better. What would the Governing Body do? Would they, like the wise teacher in this illustration, imitate Jehovah and allow Brother Jones to get up in front of the class and explain why? Or would they dismiss him from the class and tell the other students not to listen to him?

What would you think of a teacher that did that? Even the Governing Body claim that for Jehovah to do this would cast doubt on his wisdom and make it look like he doesn't really know what he's doing. And yet it's exactly what the GB do.

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

Brother Jones would be kicked out for questioning them and coz they know he's right. They wouldn't want little brother Jones telling others and making the teachers (GB) look stupid or look like they don't know what they're talking about.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Thanks for sharing this one. Copied into my WTS hypocrisy file

• cha ching
    cha ching

Good one, PE! perfect for cart witnessing!

Lately, the scripture "Always learning, yet never coming to an accurate knowledge of truth" keeps appealing to me, especially in reference to this 'new generation' thing.

• zeb
    zeb

This reminds me of the wt 'studies' of yore. where everyone quoted almost to the letter the para in front of them. I thought (Yah!) this is stupid so I began putting in my own experiences. It was some months later the wts then asked people to do the same. But toward the end of my wt time I noticed as the society was cramping down on all things that people were back quoting just the 'party line'..

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

More to your point like Live Forever book mentioned on why has God permitted wickedness and God "universal sovereignty" being challenged it mentioned that God has allowed mankind all these years to rule himself without God being involved to settle the issue. However that is a lie because he stepped in during Noah's time regarding the flood, during Nimrod's time during the tower of Babel and during Lot's time during the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah to name a few examples.

LRG

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Interesting point, and great observation. That reinforces their attitude that they are to be trusted and believed in without any questioning.

• steve2
    steve2

Surely the book's illustration contradicts Jesus words: "Out of the mouths of babes..."

And what about the young Jesus who castigated the learned pharisees for their teachings and practices? According to the JW book, young ones should humbly follow their elders....

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    Brilliant! This is a very valuable reasoning point, but it will get harder to use seeing as the Bible Teach book is now out of print. At the Annual Meeting they announced that it is now fully replaced by the 'simplified' Teach Us book, the chapter 11 of which completely eliminates this illustration.
  • days of future passed
    days of future passed

When I read that section from the bible teach book, I realize that once again the WT skews the perception of any that question and labels them as "rebels" Korah the rebel, students as rebels. What if the student was a genius and did have a better answer?

Of course the WT wouldn't let anyone question them. They yearn for the days of the Israelites when you could stone someone.

Funny tho, I placed that book with a teacher. Never found her at home again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit