What Should I Say?

by cookiemaster 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kairos
    kairos

Wouldn't it be fun to ask them point blank:
    " When did this organization have the truth?"

1874, 194, 1918-19, 1925, 1975, 1999, 2014...
    When?

I always get a kick out of:
    "Show me from the bible alone the overlapping generation concept..."

Of course you will need to do what is necessary to maintain your life.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Use the typical that life has been super busy and stressing.

Things at work.

Health considerations.

When they press, say you don't want to discuss it, because it's personal and you know how gossip spreads.

Smile. Thank them.

DO NOT SAY ANYTING NEGATIVE.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

The Gestapo were intimidating in their jodhpurs. symbolism and swastika branding. Its the power all that symbolized that made them so intimidating. With the Org. their authority comes from your willingness to be intimidated by the "titles" they don't have, right? Elder? CO? Its fascinating how we were trained to demure to them. Take hold and look at them as any other person you interact with in daily life. They may have more responsibility but you are NOT their responsibility. Take the power away from them by treating them as equals. Tell them "Sorry, I'm not up to a visit, maybe next time round." They can't kick you out for being dismissive.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

From my own experience I'd try not to meet with him if possible but if you do, say as little as possible so you don't incriminate yourself.

I got a lot of advice from everyone on this forum when I left. When the elders came after me, I basically thanked them for their concern and told them I was fine but had some issues I was dealing with and I'd call them if I needed their help and then I avoided them.

We also had a gestapo elder. The kind that got brothers to confide in them and then used that info to get them removed as ministerial servants or whatever. The kind that when you let him into the house his eyes are darting everywhere looking for something to get you on.

You just have to keep a low profile, your mouth shut as much as possible and when you do speak, as DOC says above - do not say anything negative.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Oh yea that is a little different.... but in the end not really. Your busy. Love to talk but perhaps some other time! All the best to you bro nosey...

it works. Even if they KNOW your ducking them it dosent change the reality: they cant make you talk. They cant make you meet with them and they cant df you for being busy.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

"Thanks for your concern, but I'm doing just fine and I'm very busy this week".

Or tell them you're going on holiday - then actually have a holiday from "the truth", they'll think you're out of town or something.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

I had the same scenario when the CO came to visit me when I was just turning up and never participating.

I just told him the truth. I told him I don't believe it any more but only go for family.

I certainly wasn't going to lie.

He was fine about it and said it was good that at least I still go to meetings with wife and kids.

End of.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Seriously, NEVER meet elders/CO at your home. It's too hard to get rid of them. Better to talk at the Hall where you can say "I gotta go now."

"I am far too busy to schedule a meeting that week. If he wants to talk, I can spare some time after the mid-week meeting." If they keep you waiting too long, say you have to leave AND LEAVE. If they meet you right away, look for the opportunity to say, "Oh, all is good with me, gotta go now, BYE."

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

You know, here's an idea.

If they really press as to why you're not participating any longer, just say, "Well, I was quite discouraged that you keep accusing me of being an apostate, so I lost joy. But I'm still here, however, I would appreciate it if you gave me some space and time to get over your betrayal instead of continuing to harp on me like the FBI."

• freddo
    freddo

CoBE: "So Freddo, the Circuit Overseer and I would like to visit you to offer some encouragement."

Freddo: "How very thoughtful! But I think I will decline your kind offer as I already had Brothers Hopkins and Stearne come round only a few months ago. They told me all I need to know."

CoBE: "Who? Who are they? We don't have a Brother Hopkins or a Brother Stearne on the body of elders, Freddo."

Freddo: "You think not?"

CoBE: ????? (Then he goes and looks up the names.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit