How many children is too many today?

by JH 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I was 11 when my baby brothers were born. I helped feed, diaper, cuddle, potty-train, discipline...I babysat almost my entire teenage hood. I've never been that adamant or excited about having children. I realized at a young age that babies aren't as romantic as most young women think. I've never been in a rush.

Mozzer and I want one child. We also want to adopt. A part of me is curious about what our blood child might look like, but we are also aware of so many children that need good homes. Usually when I get into those "maternal" modes, I'll visit with a friend that has a child or Mozzer's nephews. It's usually enough to keep my maternal instincts at bay. LOL! We just feel way too selfish with our time and money right now to even consider having a child. And since we're pretty serious about the adoption thing, there's no biological clock ticking.

Life is good!

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I don't have any, and I don't want any.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Big Tex and I have two, ages 9 and 7, and at our ages that's probably enough. If I'd started childbearing earlier (delivered Jackson when I was 40) I would have liked to have a couple more, but I make do with the bassets, who are perpetual 2-year-olds. There are enough disagreements between the two human children that I think two are ENOUGH, and "rock, paper, scissors" is starting to NOT work as a means of settling who gets what first.

I'm an only child and BT is oldest of three. I didn't want to have an only child, though sometimes Jennie wishes she were, because I'd like them to be a support to one another when they and we get older. Jennie will be the responsible one and Jackson will have all the money (for someone off in his own world most of the time, he does manage to hang onto his money). If we can keep them liking each other into adulthood, I'll be happy.

And when the maternal urge hits again, I'll get another puppy.

Nina

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I have one sister. I raised her, then went on to cousins, then in teens and twenties I did the whole JW babysitting thing, in my 30's raised 2 foster kids(troubled JW teens) and now I have one niece by marriage that is a crime waiting to happen(and coming for a visit in 2 weeks --can I run away?) and two nephews who are late teens and glad they don't dont live with me. I have a god daughter, and am the 'aunt' to a few friends children. Just had a visit for 2 days with a 2 yr old and a 10 month old.

I have three cats and a dog and a husband and no regrets about no children and no intention of ever regretting it. not only do I see children hurt by economics of today but I cannot see how it is possible for a parent today to give the care and attention and education that I had as a kid and I could not do that personally. I see way too many people having children today to fulfill their own needs above that of the child and it is not fair or right. On the other hand I see this lack being overcompensated for by 'child-worshipping'.

Ravyn

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Billygoat you and Mozzer take all the time you need, I am going thru my self proclaimed "selfish" phase right now and I have a built in babysitter, my 16 yr old son who does a better job at keeping the little monsters ,8 and 10 in line......lol.

He likes to babysit cause he gets to get his favorite clothes and other in style things , that you can't get at Walmart.......the boy would not be caught dead in a pair of Rustlers from walmart so we make him work for those Gap, Old Navy, Abercombie clothes.

Lol @ Cruzan I have a little pug dog that is my baby,,,,,,,,,,so when I want to snuggle he is always there. I also have a mama cat with three new kittens,,,,,,good lord like we need more souls in this house,,,,,,,,anyone want a kitten?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit