How many children is too many today?

by JH 34 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Years ago, families were huge. It wasn't rare to see families of 9 or 10 children. Today things are so different. My sister has 4 children, and that is alot for today's standards.

How many children do you have, and would you have liked to have more?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

My folks had 8 kids, and we were a big family back then. My wife and I have 6 kids between us, and when the five were with us (we've not had all six live together) we were an enormous family. Right now we have three at home, and are considered about average.

How many is too many? How many do you have the love and finances to support? Money, though a concern, isn't near as important as the love and attention kids demand. When I first married my wife I was making $10 an hour, working 48 hours a week, she stayed home and took care of the kids. We were buying a house, a car, giving aout 10% to the church, and putting back about 10% in savings, and we were making a go of it. Mind you, we bought our clothes at the thrift shop, and our favorite meal was what was on sale, but we could have gone on for quite a while like that.

Life is more comfortable now to be sure, but life was simplier back in 1995 for us. We didn't worry about money. We paid the bills, no more money, so why worry.

• Simon
    Simon

We have two ... we're happy with two ... damn Dedalus posting his cute pics !

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

My grandmother had 16 pregnancies and 11 survived childhood - 10 are still alive. That was the norm for a french Catholic family in northern Ontario

My mother and father had 4 and then my mother had 1 more with her common law husband That was pretty normal when I was a kid

I had two. i didn't want anymore and couldn't have anymore either. Two was plenty and was common. Most of our friends had two kids.

My daughter has one. She would like another and is remarrying next year so it might happen but it seems to me that more people are opting for one or two

Other daughter doesn't have any and isn't interested - that seems pretty normal too

• teejay
    teejay

How much do you make? How much in your bank account? How big is your house? What do you do for a living? How old are you? Do you even like / want kids?

Answer these and you're on your way toward answering: how many is too many.

• shera
    shera

I have 3 children, girl-15/ boy-8/ girl-2/ (and a stepson- 7 but doesn't live with us)

I find it can be hard at times but glad to have them all,but I had my tubes done and I don't reget it at all. No more kiddies comming out of this oven.

• termite 35
    termite 35

Today ?? One

I have two teenage daughters in constant danger of spotty boys and bed sores...

and a boy of 9 that keeps firing screaming penalties past (and occasionally in contact with ) my head when i'm trying to read in the garden.......

• breal
    breal

I think it is a personal decision. We hope to have 1 (or 2 max) as we want to make sure we can afford to provide them with a good life, help them with university, sports etc.

• freedom96
    freedom96

As many as you can afford.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Thunder and I made the mistake of only having twoThey grow up so fast and we made two wonderful human beings. To me that is my greatest accomplishment. If I never do anything else but raise them that is all I need to be complete. I would love to have two more we have tossed it around we will see how it goes. If not I have my two kids one girl almost 21 and one boy 18 and the grandbaby.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit