the way covid spreads

by stan livedeath 15 Replies latest social humour

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

well--the shit has really hit the fan now in the UK. highest figures since it began--only now the really cold weather ( for the UK ) is just starting--not getting warmer like at the start last spring..

ive got a feeling its going to go from bad to a lot worse. i hope i'm wrong.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Simon-Quote: "There are strong correlations with vitamin D deficiency that indicate that governments could have done a lot just by handing out cheap supplements to at-risk people. Just one of the many simple basic things they could do but don't, preferring instead to expand their powers of control over people."

I agree, I noted early in this epidemic, that some med/sci info about Vitamin D indicated that it may help/prevent Covid19. According to an Aust.Dr (John Campbell) only two small specific trials (one Spanish, on Indian have been run in 2020. You can see Campbell's comments (he's somewhat tedious to listen to, but his info is OK) in this Youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCSXNGc7pfs&t=567s.

I should point out that Vit. D is a problem because people spend less time in the open (sunshine)

The other health aid that may help is zinc - some trials are being run/ See:

Quote:

Can Zinc fight COVID-19?

The Department of Surgery at Austin Health have started recruitment on a world-first trial to investigate whether intravenous zinc can assist in the fight against coronavirus (COVID-19).

... The trial will be led by A/Prof Joseph Ischia, along with Prof Damien Bolton and Dr Oneel Patel from the Department of Surgery at the University of Melbourne. They have a long and successful history of investigating the protective effects of intravenous zinc against organ damage induced by lack of oxygen.

https://medicine.unimelb.edu.au/school-structure/surgery/news-and-events/can-zinc-fight-coronavirus-covid-19

-----------------

And a paper posted on the web-site of Frontiers of Immunoloogy (July 10, 2020) titled,

Described the importance of Zinc in the Abstract.

Abstract (Summary)

During the current corona pandemic, new therapeutic options against this viral disease are urgently desired. Due to the rapid spread and immense number of affected individuals worldwide, cost-effective, globally available, and safe options with minimal side effects and simple application are extremely warranted. This review will therefore discuss the potential of zinc as preventive and therapeutic agent alone or in combination with other strategies, as zinc meets all the above described criteria. While a variety of data on the association of the individual zinc status with viral and respiratory tract infections are available, study evidence regarding COVID-19 is so far missing but can be assumed as was indicated by others and is detailed in this perspective, focusing on re-balancing of the immune response by zinc supplementation. Especially, the role of zinc in viral-induced vascular complications has barely been discussed, so far. Interestingly, most of the risk groups described for COVID-19 are at the same time groups that were associated with zinc deficiency. As zinc is essential to preserve natural tissue barriers such as the respiratory epithelium, preventing pathogen entry, for a balanced function of the immune system and the redox system, zinc deficiency can probably be added to the factors predisposing individuals to infection and detrimental progression of COVID-19. Finally, due to its direct antiviral properties, it can be assumed that zinc administration is beneficial for most of the population, especially those with suboptimal zinc status."

Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7365891/

Likely (as suggested by Simon) if governments had just provided these two supplements to the general population, man deaths may have been prevented

• Simon
    Simon
    highest figures since it began

Doesn't appear so, or are you going off "cases"?

Note some key points:

The number of deaths is not exploding, whatever the media is telling you.

The number of deaths is "flattered" by more testing - some people could happen to have Covid but it have nothing whatsoever todo with their death

The figures are further inflated because the high false-positive rate for tests could include more people than really even have it at all

Are things really worse, or at they in fact better?

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

• Simon
    Simon
    Yes, Zinc combined with Vitamin D work together to boost your immunity.

It's ridiculous that we're a year in and only now are trials starting to test how effective it is in measurable clinical terms although the anecdotal evidence is already pretty overwhelming. Some places giving them had ~40% fewer deaths than comparable benchmarks.

But why would healthcare providers give you cheap vitamins when they can stick you on a ventilator and get a cash windfall for your death? Don't think it doesn't happen. Throwing money at something always results in corruption and healthcare is already one of the leading causes of death and all about the money.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I guess I was lucky, I was already taking Vitamin D3 with zinc and some other minerals before this outbreak. The Dr whose surgeries I attend, looks after my health quite well. He'd already noticed my D3 levels were low and prescribed the tablets I take. Also, This month i have an annual wide-ranging blood test, and a CT scan costing zero$.

So, I don't think that a profit motive applies as much in Australia, as it may in the USA. All Australians are covered by a basic level of medical assistance and hospital care. Its paid for through a levy, as part of your income tax. The only things I pay for are prescribed medicines and these are usually deeply discounted, Most hospital services are also paid for in the previously mentioned levy, So I don't think the comment, "But why would healthcare providers give you cheap vitamins when they can stick you on a ventilator and get a cash windfall for your death?"

The official Australian death rate from Covid 19 at present is slightly more than 900 - is there a relationship between that data and the Australian system?

If anyone cares, that can be compared to some 800 deaths (in 2019 - the worst death rate for years) caused by influenza virus. Presently there are no cases requiring intensive care.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

much worse here now, Simon. even where i live--the isle of wight; which had got away lightly before. now in lockdown again. But the vaccine programme is underway--so hopefully things will get better by the spring time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit