Roadside Assistance?

by outnfree 17 Replies latest jw friends

• outnfree
    outnfree

I think I remember reading somewhere here about how some poor DF'd sister's car broke down on the way home from a meeting once and none of the brothers would stop to help. It made somebody ashamed, as well it should have!

Here's a twist: The son of the local P.O. is DF'd but working toward reinstatement. So he was at the meeting the other day and, on leaving the Kingdom Hall, saw a fellow witness stranded alongside the road. The stranded witness is an MS in good standing. The P.O.'s son stopped his car and walked up to the vehicle to offer assistance. The MS refused to even look at him at first. Just kept his window closed and eyes straight ahead. The P.O.'s son remained there a few more minutes, willing to help. Finally, the MS rolled down the window and said, "We're okay. It's taken care of." No, thanks, no way, because, of course, the DF'd one should not have put the MS in a position to compromise his "loyalty to Jehovah".

Now, who had the Christlike personality here?

Ludicrous. Simply ludicrous.

outnfree

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

I've often wondered what they might do if I stopped to help a JW in need. That is truly disgusting. It reminds me of a redneck racist who refuses a life saving transfusion from a black person. They should be ashamed. I used to run a movie theater, and would often let JW's in for free if I knew them. Most of them smiled and said thank you. But there was one who refused my generousity, and looked the other way. Gotta love these people, huh.

"Forget the tribe, my pants have spoken."

• JAVA
    JAVA

outnfree,

Stories like this abound in the JW community. The Tower’s brotherly love is perverted as demonstrated by your account. Were you around when the Society relaxed the ban on talking (not fellowshipping) to disfellowshipped Witnesses for a short period of time? That ended a little after their 1975 failure when they looked for others to take the blame.

--JAVA
    ...counting time at the Coffee Shop

• bajarama
    bajarama

Don't forget these are the same people who would watch their child die, rather than let their child have a blood tranfussion to save the child's life.

If I saw a witness stranded that I knew was an jackass like that guy. I would drive by real slow honking and waving, and I hope I would have someone else in the car who would drop his doors and stick his arse out the window and give that self rightous ms witness the full moon treatment.

DOWN WITH THE WATCHTOWER[>:(]

bajarama

• Jang
    Jang

One I know about was about a Dfd sister and her children who had walked 2 miles to the
    meeting one night.

When she was of good standing they never wanted for rides to the KH for meetings. Her husband
    left them when she became a Jehovah's Witnesses and she had been raising 4 children aged
    4 - 11 by herself since the little one was born.

This particlar night it was pouring with rain when the meeting finished and no one offered them a
    ride home. They had to walk the whole way - not even the children were considered!!!!!

I might add this was in winter so the rain was bl.......dy cold!!!!!

JanG

• hippikon
    hippikon

Bajarama: You mean like this

• outnfree
    outnfree

JAVA,

The Tower's brotherly love is perverted as demonstrated by your account

In this case, perhaps thank goodness! Because the DF'd brother is more and more seriously asking himself WHY he should bother to be reinstated with these people whom he really, really dislikes! Maybe this will be THE incident that makes him realize that "The Tower" is NOT where he wants to be.

(And no, I wasn't around for the relaxed ban. I strangely missed the events of 1975 -- studied during '72/'73, left off studying in '74, and wasn't really AWARE of the debacle. If I had been, I'd never have taken up with the Witnesses again ten years later, I think. Oh, well!)

All,

Y'know the SAD thing is that this incident makes me rethink entirely my former relationship with Brother MS. Could it be that when this brother volunteered his family to come along with me & my children in service it wasn't REALLY because he wanted to help a "spiritual widow" or that he really liked kids, but rather because that's what good MS's were SUPPOSED to do?

If a STRANGER had walked up to the car and offered assistance, they would have gotten a more polite response. (Even if only to hear "Thank you, but my brothers and sisters from the Kingdom Hall down the road are already coming to my aid." -- Good witness, dontcha know?)

I never would have classified this brother as "self-righteous," baja, but I am certainly pained at his reaction to the loving-kindness extended which shows exactly how much control the Organization exercises over its members. Bah!

And this deluded MS and his family think they honored Jehovah the other night!

outnfree

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

OutnFree,

You'd think in the parable of the Good Samaritan, that if told today and the Samaritan was a DF'd person the man beaten by robbers would say, "leave me here to die from my wounds, I don't need your help you despicable disfellowshipped person."

It makes you wonder what value or that Bible reading does or all that supposed application of Christian principles.

I remember the relaxing of the rules about DF's person in the late 70's. What I do remember is that the same people who said how good the new relaxed rules are, were the same people 5 years later (or less) who said how good the higher standards are. I never commented in that Watchtower study as I didn't like the reversal. How sad, it would take another 10 years or more before I acted on my feelings.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• patio34
    patio34

OutnFree,

Your point about the MS helping you in door-to-door struck a nerve with me.

In a way, jws could be viewed like salesmen (not original, I know). But in the way that they do EVERYTHNG in order to 'make the sale.' Nothing seems genuine or heartfelt, but it's all because they are SUPPOSED to do it or they're trying to 'sell you something.'

When I was sick, the congregation was so attentive and concerned. But they were doing their Christian duty, it seems. Because when I was well, I rarely heard from anyone. It hurt because it seemed to me the kind acts weren't done because anyone liked me, but because that's what you're SUPPOSED to do.

The 'worldly' folks from work followed up much more afterwards.

I know this sounds mean and like being ungrateful, but it is what it seemed to be at the time. It seems a fair assessment. I'm speaking in generalities, because there was one 'sister' who gave her all and repeatedly for a long time.

Patio

• neyank
    neyank

I remember when I was just studying to become a JW,
    that there was a df'd person attending the meetings
    trying to get reinstated.
    One night his car broke down.
    Well as you know the "brothers" would not give this person
    a ride home as that would be going against the rules.

But because I was not yet baptised, I was allowed to give him a ride.
    I got dirty looks for doing it though.

Talk about being legalistic.
    Wasn't that one of the things Jesus put the Pharrasies down about?
    Being legalistic?

Oh yes. The "brothers"and "sisters" really know how to be true Christians.
    Don't they?

neyank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit