can Satan read your mind?

by doodle-v 36 Replies latest jw friends

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

I talked to my brother today who is still a practicing JW (I've managed to fade)

we were talking and suddenly he asked me if I thought Satan could read my mind. I said "no"

and he said "yeah I though the answer was yes and then I found out that Satan cant read my mind"

I was a bit puzzled so I said, "well, how do you know that?"

he said "because I read it in the magazine"

I said, "you mean the watchtower?" and he said yes. I said, well how do they know that?

and he looked at me like i was crazy and said "because Jehovah told them, of course!"

I wanted to bust out laughing, but i kept my composer and simply said, "well if it's in the watchtower, it must be true" (he didnt realize i was being sarcastic)

I guess this goes to show how most JW's dont question anything the watchtower says and simply view it as fact.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I remember being taught that God can see my thoughts. So I always assumed that Satan could see my thoughts as well. Then I heard a circuit overseer give an in depth talk about Satan and the demons and he said Satan could not read your mind. He gave no scriptural support. No evidence or reasoning. He just stated it as fact. I wondered about it, but simply accepted it and my mind was a bit more at ease about that particular irrational fear that I had at the time. Of course, now that I have broken free from the religion and no longer see evidence of any supernatural being, I don't have any of that irrational fear. But if someone knows the Society's scriptural basis for that reasoning, I'd be interested to know.

• Francois
    Francois

Satan is no longer a present reality on this planet, IMHO.

francois

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Nowhere does scripture support that Satan can read the minds of human beings. So if scripture doesn't say he can read minds, therefore he cannot.

By the way, if any believes he is real and if you don't want Satan to know what you're up to, don't think it outloud! **ZIPS LIPS**

Or in my case, I don't think it outloud in sign language either, he does know ASL.

Yizuman

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

my point exactly ..... there isnt any scripture that I know of that says satan cant read your mind, however my brother simply accepted this information as fact just because he read it in the watchtower.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I think the concept of Satan being able to read your thoughts is a big concept for a dub to deal with. If Satan can read your thoughts then hes got to have access into your thought stream, and if hes got that....well, its only a short step to posession. When I was a teenage dub my view was that Satan, while unable to actually enter inside my mind, could read my body signals. twitches, eye movements, breathing, sweating, etc and from these he could deduce where I was at and what I was feeling.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    "my point exactly ..... there isnt any scripture that I know of that says satan cant read your mind, however my brother simply accepted this information as fact just because he read it in the watchtower."

Facts? WTS actually prints facts???

Yizuman

• ballistic
    ballistic

I remember feeling paranoid that he was a master of observing your intentions through your body language and eye movement. That came from the platform in the form that if human experts can work out your intentions from eye movement, how much more can wicked angels know us. Evil, that's all I can say.

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

OK,

I was raised a witless, all I heard as a child was not to say what you fear the most out loud, because Satan and the demuzs would hear it.

You are telling me this is all false???

Ok, I covet Tom Selleck!

he he

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    When I was a teenage dub my view was that Satan, while unable to actually enter inside my mind, could read my body signals. twitches, eye movements, breathing, sweating, etc and from these he could deduce where I was at and what I was feeling.

You mean like this guy? The Negotiator Yizuman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit