Martha Stewart Indicted ! What do you think of her now ?

by xjw_b12 42 Replies latest social current

• Shakita
    Shakita

Sorry if I upset you, Aztec.

Mrs. Shakita

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

SeaWolf has got it right. Keep everybody distracted while the big boys play and take away from the common folk.

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

I have to agree with those who say she wouldn't be getting this degree of attention if she were a man. Remember when former Cincinnati Reds owner Marge Schott made remarks that were taken as pro-Hitler and was raked over the coals for it? The same point was made then. That MS was called a bit*h too and wasn't popular in Cincinnati, especially for using racial slurs about some of the players.

The fact she is a woman makes it different from the people at Enron, Worldcom, and all the rest. They're mostly faceless entities, with as much personality as a lamppost. You couldn't identify with them. (And brainless sometimes--their wives anyway--like when Linda Lay, wife of Enron CEO Ken Lay, said they'd been "wiped out" because of having "only" $8 million left out of $33 million previously. .) In a past column, US News & World Report's Gloria Borger said many women weren't supporting Stewart because she made her business empire in the kitchen--the same one most feminists had abandoned--and they hated her for that.

And Stewart should be treated as innocent unless (I always hated the word "until" because to me it made it sound like a guilty verdict was a foregone conclusion) proven guilty.

• plmkrzy
  • 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

I think she's innocent until proven guilty. Assuming she is guilty, the crime she's charged with is insignificant when contrasted with the Enron scandal and other recent corporate scandals. But Martha makes a good scapegoat and distraction from Enron and other scandals that are too close to Dubya for comfort.

• Jayson
    Jayson

I'm waiting for the our fellow Americans crying out for the erosion of civil rights to cry out for her. I mean she is not being charged with the origonal crimes she was accused of. She is being charged with obstruction of justice regarding the crimes she was not charged with due to lack of evidence. She had the nerve to say that she was not guilty of what the government said she was. Oh ya, and her broker used two different pens. ON THE SAME DAY MIND YOU!

Such shady evidence to bring someone up on charges. Amazing...Enron, WorldCom, Quest, they [CEO's] all fleeced billions from the average person with the help of Wall Street and nothing has been really been done to change it. But Martha is crucified? Well, I feel safer about investing my money now. My faith in the system is restored.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I had read in Newseek that she did what she did to prevent losing 45,000 bucks, and now she stands to lose a lot more, and has already lost a lot more.

• shamus
    shamus

Martha Stewart is boring.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    I simply returned a call from my stockbroker

and we all know how straightforward and honest most stockbrokers are, right? poor thing

she knew what she was doing. now she must pay the price.

• heathen
    heathen

I think if they arrested every white collar theif who sold stock prior to the bottom falling out , we would have more people in jail than we can afford to have .I think it will be hard to convict . I feel sorry for the people who are investing in 401 k stock option plans who may have lost their retirement due to corporate greed .Shame on people who do this kind of thing .I do think she is guilty myself .I don't understand why the feds didn't put a hold on the stock so it couldn't be traded since they apparently knew they were going to shut down the research center . Sounds like it may have been leaked deliberately in order to entrap Stewart or other investers . I have heard that other people found out and sold their stock but nothing much else was being said about that .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit