Bring to ruin those ruining the earth, but what if we change.

by pleaseresearch 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pleaseresearch
    pleaseresearch

This has come up recently with two family members who are JWs. If they are talking about this you can bet that others are too. They seem to be all excited that a lot of attention in the news right now is about climate change, Greta, Extinction rebellion etc... As you can image they are very smug saying see. The bible was right.

I don't agree with what Extinction rebellion are proposing. But I do hope for massive changes to how we view our planet. I really would love governments around the world to make some incredible changes and show that we can clean up our act and pretty much destroy this scripture which is being read a lot right now on the ministry i bet.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

You may have read the recent thread on this Rev 11:18 verse. The verse is only recently being reinterpreted as referring to some type of literal ruining through pollution. For 1900 years the passage was read in context as referring to the "spiritual" and "moral" ruining/corruption perceived as happening by the author. Rev 19:1,2 clearly shows the author was concerned about such religious matters and not about recycling plastics and CO2 emissions when he said :

....He has judged the great harlot who ruined the earth with her fornication;...

The same Greek word for "ruin" was used by the LXX (Septuagint) at Genesis 6:11 as justification for a flood. Again, the concern was religious issues not literal pollution:

....But the earth was ruined before God, and the earth was filled with iniquity...

It's likely the Revelation author had this Genesis passage in mind. Also note the Genesis flood stories depict God as killing every living thing on the earth outside the ark and causing the worst environment catastrophe this planet would have ever experienced. This should put to rest the idea that the authors of the Bible thought of their God as an environmentalist.

But, I agree it would be wonderful if the world would take more seriously the need for improving our handling of energy needs. Whether the worst case scenarios prove to be true or a more modest but still significant change takes place, is yet to be seen. Either way the transition to more sustainable energy production would have been constructive.

• pleaseresearch
    pleaseresearch
    Nice response Pete
  • jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

I would like citable, photographic proof that the JWs aren't contributing to climate change. I remember a lot of gas guzzling cars going out in service all week long. JWs spend way more time in their cars then regular people. I bet their carbon footprint is pretty heavy.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Watchtower and JWs do absolutely nothing toward saving our planet or being more environmentally friendly.

Those who drive around needlessly in the ministry must have a huge carbon footprint. At least in the UK JWs walk in the ministry, usually.

So they are among those “ ruining the earth” if that’s the way they want to interpret it.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Pretty sure that millions of trees have laid down their lives for all the orgs publications since the late 1800s.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Peaceful Pete's comment is spot on.

Once again the WTS exploits the bible to support their theology that mankind if living in the last days or end times.

Cant get it out their heads because of the 1914 doctrine.

It just goes to show the disingenuous of this organization where trite corruption is complacent.

What was really a commercialization strategy (1914) has overtime turned into crippling anchor for the WTS/JWS .

• Listener
    Listener

They presented an amusing article in the Awake 1971 1/8 headed "Spaceship Earth in Deep Trouble"

It talks about Genesis 6:12 and those ruining the Earth.

The article says this (after explaining how the atmosphere is becoming loaded with poisonous gases causing eye irritation and infection.

No wonder Life magazine of January 3, 1970, stated: “Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support . . . predictions” such as: “In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution,” and “increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will affect earth’s temperature, leading to mass flooding or a new ice age.”

The Life Magazine article that they quote has been noted as one of the most ridiculous predictions in modern times. The Watchtower was responsible for pointing to this false prediction and it wasn't even in the Bible. They go to any length to make JWs feel Armageddon is coming any day. Climate change is just another method they are using.

FYI, you might be wondering what was the advice given to Wordly people (since it was written in the Awake). They wisely said

Farmers and gardeners can remember that there is nothing wrong with compost or other organic fertilizers or the use of crop rotation to build up the soil. And could it be that you do not need to use your car as much as you do, or could you walk to a nearby store? Is it possible to curb water waste in your home? As housewives, can you use good old laundry soap instead of water-polluting phosphate detergents?

Obviously, this was just all talk and they didn't take any of this seriously.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

It's very interesting that neither Jesus nor Paul mentioned man-made eco-disasters in their lengthy discussions of the times of the end.

Seems like they weren't aware anything like that could happen. They only mentioned things they had already seen in their own lives.

Almost as if they didn't have any divine insights.

Luckily the Bible contains plenty of oddly worded verses that can be beat to say anything you want.

And thus we can boldly proclaim the Bible already foretold the current environmental predicament, even though it really is completely silent on the topic.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    You may have read the recent thread on this Rev 11:18 verse. The verse is only recently being reinterpreted as referring to some type of literal ruining through pollution.

I used to use this on the ministry to highlight the literal pollution and dirt,garbage problems and show them this verse that god will destroy those destroying the world. we need to look after at least where we live/ our surroundings etc.

Guess I was one of the anointed without knowing then!! Guess I was way ahead of the anointed themselves if this is a new reasoning.

Zing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit