How To Become Who You Are

by Brokeback Watchtower 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• venus
    venus

JW_Rogue

I do not agree with what you said: “Perhaps there is no true self and self actualization is just a grandiose myth.”

Your true self is more meaningful (like the software of your computer) than your body (like hardware of your computer). Bringing home computer hardware, and dispensing with the software as unwanted makes no sense. I too used to think like you before. But once I tried to go beyond thoughts and asked the question who is creating these thoughts, it made a big difference, as Tolle puts it. The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter — beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace — arise from beyond the mind. You begin to awaken.” (The Power of Now, Ekhart Tolle) It is from this “vast realm of intelligence” that dreams are designed. Many scientific discoveries (such as Periodic Table, Aromatic Chemistry, Insulin …) have their roots in dreams. (http://dreamtraining.blogspot.com/2010/12/inventions-that-came-in-dreams-largest.html) Even Einstein’s great invention of Theory of Relativity is connected with two dreams he had. (Einstein: A Life by Denis Brian p.159)

When I was taught in the school that the left side of the brain performs tasks that have to do with logic, such as in science and mathematics whereas the right hemisphere performs tasks that have do with creativity and the arts, I was convinced that brain activity is much more than its material components called 100 billion neurons, and man is made in the image of God which explains why we have a subjective experience and why we love truth, benevolence and beauty….etc.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The problem with being a JW is that you must set aside your true feelings or skills or even doing non JW approved research because as Eric Hoffer noted:

It is thus with most of us; we are what other people say we are. We know ourselves chiefly by hearsay.

For an uber JW their standing in the eyes of the congregation is worth giving up their life over a false blood transfusion doctrine. That's a big ditch to dig yourself out of.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    But I'm thinking that to become who you are you need to know history, you need to know your basic drives without a whole lot of moralizing about good and bad you need knowledge of your evolutionary history and the challenges all your generations faced and survived long enough to share DNA to understand some of your basic drives. I can go on and on about this. Very few people have plummeted the depths of their psyche like Nietzsche, and perhaps that is what led to him going mad at such a young age.

How can you really be in touch with all those things without experimenting with socially unacceptable behavior?

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

2 hours ago
    Perhaps there is no "true self" and self actualization is just a grandiose myth.

I tend to agree with you.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    How can you really be in touch with all those things without experimenting with socially unacceptable behavior?

Looking within, some understanding of human nature, being honest to one self to help uncover one's shadow, study of history, and I'm sure their are many ways, read some good books on psychology.

To be sure it is not a easy process to find and be your authentic self, in fact I would say that one never will do it 100%, but the farther you go the better IMO.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Becoming familiar with our more destructive drives is indeed a challenge, I prefer these days to live some what in the past, it seems that my brain is doing a sweep of my past and bringing up things from around 1 years old,, listening to a lot of music every day about 2 or 3 hours and taking some cannabis, kratom, wine, seems to be the culprit, and the fact that I'm get old and it is probably very natural.

Anyway being honest about our past the good and the bad takes some courage and by this one can get to know some of ones destructive drives as well as the more benevolent ones, the thing is IMO is to harness them, ying and yang to balance a person and make him more harmonious because he is aware or more aware of both drives. I see that as the goal. Of course the deeper we plummet the unconscious and the bigger fish we pull out of it and make conscious the more our chances to dip down into it and never come out, like a never ending samadhi, or consciousness gets so submerged into the unconscious that it is trapped forever.

• Brokeback Watchtower
  • Brokeback Watchtower
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The problem with being JW is that they take normal feelings, and turn them against you and make you feel bad for feeling them. They strip you of your normal feelings and identity, they dehumanize you.

• Brokeback Watchtower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit