How To Become Who You Are

by Brokeback Watchtower 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Being a Jehovah's Witness for many years has a very damaging effect on becoming who he really are, many of the drives we were born with get subverted to corporation's directives, and we stuff lots of ourselves into our shadow(Jungian), as we take on the "new personality" we become an easy to manipulate corporate drone. In other words we really loose contact with authentic Self, and to some extent a little hollow.

A search for our true self will require some alone time and can be scary and filled with some perils. I did it for some time and it can make you a little odd, and you could wind up doing some crazy shit but over all I will say it was necessary and eventually rewarding, and I gotten quite used to it and now a days I have people around but value my time alone when every I can get it.

Anyway this video interest me and I thought I would share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfyCzLbcAvk

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

BTW I view my use of social media as about 60% alone time or perhaps as high as 90% because I'm in control of whether I want to respond or remain silent much more a lurker and free to read what interest me. The internet has helped me in my alone time as it is information at my finger tips, and a way to help answer questions I have that come up all the time.

• Perry
    Perry

"if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Nietzsche

He was a nihilist, meaning that he believed in the meaninglessness of life, the world, and he rejected moral standards.....a predictable conclusion when exploring the deep recesses of the self.

He eventually went insane.

Poor man.

• Ireneus
    Ireneus

Happiness is your decision. Mind is such a wonderful instrument that if you think you have never been a JW, then you are not. If you think, you have been a victim, then you are a victim. What is gone is gone and what is to come will come. Life is the moment between those two. There is no difficulty to take control of that moment and to get involved in what we are doing now.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Perhaps there is no "true self" and self actualization is just a grandiose myth. A lofty goal that no one can ever really reach. We all make ourselves in to what we wish to be, what we wish to be though is influenced by many different factors. Many of which we have little control over. Instead of thinking in terms of "finding yourself" or "becoming who you are," it is better to explore what makes you happy and satisfied with life.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

According to Maslow self actualization is at the top of the hierarchy of needs and is reaching one full potential which is only rarely reached, but I think it is a worthy goal to strive for which leads to happiness and self fulfillment.

I think exploring what makes you happy and satisfied with life is also finding your true self that is hiding behind the persona for I think knowing yourself is intrinsically linked to the above.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

But I'm thinking that to become who you are you need to know history, you need to know your basic drives without a whole lot of moralizing about good and bad you need knowledge of your evolutionary history and the challenges all your generations faced and survived long enough to share DNA to understand some of your basic drives. I can go on and on about this. Very few people have plummeted the depths of their psyche like Nietzsche, and perhaps that is what led to him going mad at such a young age.

Jung's was surprised that the Buddha was able to make so much of his unconscious conscious and not go insane.

https://wenshuchan-online.weebly.com/carl-jung--buddhism-part-ii.html

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Perhaps there is no "true self" and self actualization is just a grandiose myth. A lofty goal that no one can ever really reach.

I tend to agree.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    According to Maslow self actualization is at the top of the hierarchy of needs and is reaching one full potential which is only rarely reached

I was talking to my daughter about this and she pointed out that physical needs are at the bottom of Maslow's hierarchy of needs and yet many artists living in poverty produced beautiful works of art.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

"our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness" - Nabokov

And Perry you are an A-Hole.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit