Separated from a loveless Marriage

by PLAYGROUND 54 Replies latest social relationships

• PLAYGROUND
    PLAYGROUND

I don't know where to start. I got married a year and half ago. Some months into the marriage things where discovered. lies were told. Things I thought I knew about the person was a lie. In fact, their true personality/behavior came to the front. I truly believe they hate me. I feel like they use me for personal gain, and trust me it wasn't for sex, they really wasn't interested in that. There were physical, emotional and mental abuse. They threaten to leave once before but after we spoke to the Elders they decided not too. This conversation with them only made things worse.

When we were in the same house there was no conversation at all. In fact we didn't talk. And when we did talk they always managed to turn it into an argument and now its my fault. By the time we spoke to the Elders it was all me. At some point you realize you cannot compete with a liar. It feels that you both are telling a side of a story hoping someone believes you. In addition, they choose to discuss things with certain people within the congregation, lies of course. It became too much, the verbal, emotional and mental abusive wouldn't let up, so we separated after threats was cited.

Now months later, the elders told us they wanted to meet with us, I was like okay.  I met with the elders the first time after we separated, (Spouse did not). So this was my second time since the separation.

Now my spouse had not spoken to me in months not from my lack of trying. When we met with the elders they said we      "are mocking Jehovah" they even said "we could love to learn one another". 

I tried I really did. When I discussed the abuse they act like I'm lying or that I'm saying this as an excuse. Do you know how many counselors I have spoken with?

It obvious my spouse doesn't love nor care for me. And truth be told, I don't love them at all anymore and I have explained why so many times. I know this is hurting Jehovah and I am truly sorry. However, I know who this person really is and they are not nice at all. I can't live in that situation again. Do you know I was truly sick every day we was together. I cried everyday and still am.

Do I just go back and live separate lives, sort like we were doing. Do I stay separated and take the stares and smart comments. Oh yeah the Watchtower studies for March and the special talk, all about marriage/family. How do I endure that? I am torn, do I fake it and live in that condition?

What do you do when there is no love, trust, loyalty? What do you do when the thought make you physically sick?

Don't say divorce, I am already in enough trouble with Jehovah. I know I made a mistake marrying this person. When I think back they really never said they love me. I'm tired, I'm so tired. My spouse doesn't want me but cannot be honest with the elders themselves. But because they have no place else to go they lie and say "Yeah I want to work this out".

There are days I just wish I was dead to be out of this misery.

I'm stuck, I know......Just feeling sad.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Do you still believe that the Witnesses are the truth? If you do that will affect your decision.
  • PLAYGROUND
    PLAYGROUND
    I do believe it is the truth. I'm torn, how do you force something that isn't there? How do you fake it? How do you stay with someone when you know who they really are?
  • Blackfalcon98
    Blackfalcon98

If you still believe the JW religion is the way to Jehovah God, well.....you should read your bible more. (and not the NWT) I am so sorry for your pain, and I hope for the best. Perhaps you can persue a marriage counselor or even a personal counselor. You mention being used. If you are a man, I'd recommend getting legal help to ensure that your spouse doesn't bankrupt you following a potential divorce. Please understand that the elders are simply WT company men, and as such they must repeat what they hear from higher ups. Jehovah God see's your efforts to improve your relationship with your spouse, and in due time things will become clear to all parties involved. You can PM me anytime. 

Warm Wishes, 

BF98

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"Oh yeah the Watchtower studies for March and the special talk, all about marriage/family. How do I endure that? I am torn, do I fake it and live in that condition?"

I suggest you try to minimize your torture by not attending that meeting. Short of a divorce I would simply suggest you stay separated but that will remove your chance of remarriage.

• millie210
    millie210
    I am sorry for your pain.
  • Gone and forgotten
    Gone and forgotten

I am going to assume you are female...one thing that kept me in  an emotionally abusive marriage was that the elders wouldn't believe me, said I was exaggerating, and wouldn't talk to me without the presence of my "head."  When we finally moved back to my original congregation, the brothers talked with me once, and again told me they couldn't give me counsel without his consent and presence.  These were men who loved me dearly, and we're weeping as they said this.  That was 10 years into the marriage...took another 10 for me to completely walk away from all of it. 

Don't do what I did...wasted 20 years of my life.  You can't be disfellowshipped for separating, and yes, people will take sides.  IMO stay separated, move to a different congregation, and get on with your own life. 

Make sure you speak with a good lawyer to keep your interests protected. If he has lied to the elders and others don't trust him about anything.

• Stirred
    Stirred

I am so sorry to hear of the pain you are going through.

i read you have been to counselors.  Have you tried group therapy for abuse victims? Not sure where you live.  I had experience with abuse and found support and help via Haven House.  It was free and very helpful for my mental and emotional state at time. There is likely also online help forums for victim support.

Once you get a bit stronger, I urge you to get more strategic: record conversations, video if possible or have witnesses. Keep email file. Document. If this person is abusing you, Jehovah will understand.  A liar is being aggressively strategic and you must be fully prepared to defend and protect yourself. If you are not strong enough to do this on your own, get good help.

You must guard your wellness on all levels.  Work on rebuilding your healthy life. You already stated that you cannot live in same situation again.....so decision made.  Now you must adapt best you can to new circumstances. Be prepared for more changes to come as the situation unfolds.

You are valuable and worthy of being treated with dignity and repect.  Love is just the other side of respect in my book.  Synonymous to different degrees.

It's okay to visit other halls during those or any talks....less eyes on you.  Jehovah knows your heart and the situation even if elders (only humans).  This is a shocking reality for you and you need to process.  

Build support system of ones who believe in you, value you, cherish you, will be there for you.  Learn to tolerate the rest and not be too concerned.

Take care.  Don't be afraid to read by the way.  Truth can withstand any challenge.

Peace

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

Learn TTATT and RUN!!!! I have been marriage for 24 years, get got involved in this cult 6 years ago and now it' s destroying my marriage. my wife is in full cult mode and obviously your wife is too and possibly you are partially awake (no pun intended). 

be happy you haven't wasted 20, 30 years in a loveless marriage. you can't make someone love you, that plan and simple. go see and cult counselor and get out of the beast.

the worse mistake of my life was joining this cult.....if i could turn back time!

shalom

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

As a born-in who believed that only 2 virgins should marry in a perpetually blissful state, I now say that that is shat.

Met a very old longtime JW acquaintance last week - who ended his first marriage in a most horrible way.

He just remarried, but made a point that they had done a trial run of several YEARS first.

The two-virgin rule DOES NOT work!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit