Another Hollywood Memory

by TerryWalstrom 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Why didn't I keep up with Marta and find out how she was doing? I guess my own life was just too much in my face. The excuse doesn't change the fact she is out of reach.

I can see how you would feel this way but on the other hand, it's a two way street. Marta didn't keep up with you either.

Just because she happened to be the first one to go, doesn't mean you bear most of the blame.

From one well trained JW boy to another, I'm guessing you are being far more conscientious about this than you need to be.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Thanks, Pete.
    I think I shouldn't have sat around after writing about her listening to Michael Franks music for the last twenty-four hours :)

I honestly hardly knew her in the grand scheme of things. She was just so special it pisses me off how she died so young. DEATH is the enemy nobody conquers except delusionally by "belief."

I'm getting older than old. At Seventy, I'm in the killing fields and in the crosshairs.
    Everything suddenly has "final value". It's a going-out-of-business sale on APPRECIATION.

I need to pace myself...

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I honestly hardly knew her in the grand scheme of things. She was just so special it pisses me off how she died so young. DEATH is the enemy nobody conquers except delusionally by "belief."

Not to say that it wouldn't have been nice if you two would have kept in touch but I'm guessing that if you'd have known her for an extended period of time and had come to know her faults, you may not have such a rose colored image of her and maybe you wouldn't feel so much to blame.

I'm getting older than old. At Seventy, I'm in the killing fields and in the crosshairs.
    Everything suddenly has "final value". It's a going-out-of-business sale on APPRECIATION.

It's natural to take stock once in awhile and adjust ourselves to the changes time brings. Hopefully you won't hang onto this "older than old" thought for too long. That way when you are 80 you'll be glad that when you were 70 you didn't miss out on anything or start limiting yourself, just because you began to think of yourself as old. I'm sure there are plenty of 80 year olds who would love to be only 70 years old again.

Remember, anyone who is alive, no matter how young or old they may be, is in the "crosshairs" and can wind up not alive at any moment. Make up your mind that you're going to do your seventies with the same style, grace and humor you've shown thus far in your life. Be and inspiration to those who are coming up behind you, (me included) show how em' how it's done.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I'm devoting much of my writing time to capturing moments which include people I've known and interacted with significant to my "journey" through life. Just getting it down on a page makes it seem "archived" in some small sense.
    I've been working on turning all this into my next book. I've wanted to steal the title to humorist Jack Douglas' book: "A Funny Thing Happened to Me on my way to the grave."

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

This morning a coda!

5:30AM

Terry, this Christie Adams in Honolulu, Hawaii.
    Marta Boutel was one of my dear friends. We met here in Honolulu in the sixties when Marta and her family vacationed here in the summer. I just found your article about Marta on the Internet.
    When Marta was about 19 she had a skin cancer removed from her back. Years later, according to her brother, Jeff, Marta developed melanoma and, very tragically, died of it. Jeff later recounted to me that he flew in to see her and that she died in his arms.
    He said her body turned gray. I'm so sorry to tell you of Marta's very sad ending on this earth. She was such a beautiful and bright spirit, and no doubt still is--wherever she is somewhere out there in our vast Universe.
    Aloha, Christie

You accepted Christie's request.

Thank you ever so much, Christie.
    As sad as this information is, there is comfort in knowing facts rather than speculation. My own Mom died of cancer. She too turned ashen grey. Three times she'd fought it and won. I don't think she thought she'd lose the final time.
    As a writer, I can explore the landscape of my life and the remarkable people I've met and known by spilling it all out in black and white. Ironically, memories are never black and white. People and places have the truest colors of all. It is so good to know Marta had genuine friends such as yourself, Christie.
    I firmly hold this to be true. As long as someone who loves us carries us in their heart and continues to remember who we really were--we never die.
    Once again, much obliged.
    All the best and Cheers! Terry
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

And thanks to writers such as yourself, Terry, she's now in the hearts of those who didn't know her, too.

Thanks, Pete.

I think I shouldn't have sat around after writing about her listening to Michael Franks music for the last twenty-four hours

PS music is likely to do that to you. Pleasure and pain in a warm embrace 🎶🎶

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Thanks. (Big smile).

• humbled
    humbled

That is a huge happiness for Christie to contact you. Connections matter. They matter.

Thanks for all your efforts, Terry, trying to help bridge our broken connections with ourselves and others.

• Terry
    Terry

I just heard Michael Franks song Popsicle Toes and once again my thoughts turned
    toward Marta and this little story I posted.
    Wherever you are, my dear, I wish you all the best.

• asp59
    asp59

Have you read the Book ' You'll never eat lunch in this town again ' ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit