After all these years, I finally made it to Brooklyn Bethel!

by dubstepped 35 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

@ dubstepped:

This is whats currently on my arm:

Seiko Spurtura Kinetic GMT. (model # SUN017P1) A lot of bang for the buck. I've had it for like 4 years now, it's really fantastic.

http://en.uhrenlounge.de/shop/gfx/products/fotos/reference/26736_sun017p1_7.jpg

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

@pepperheart - If you like the watch, it counts.

@WingCommander - Nice watch! A classic Seiko look. I'll have to share a pic or two of mine later when I get home.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Watch geek here, too! At one point, my collection was worth over $50,000.00. I am an Accutron and Hamilton Electric collector. I specialize in watches from the 50's and 60's.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

@Sparky - Didn't Accutron make some tuning fork watches like Bulova? I always wanted one of those.

I clean houses with my wife so collections of $15-50k are out of my league. I liked looking at those stores in the diamond district because they were things I'll likely never buy. The Tourneau store was my favorite though because it had everything from Casio and Nixon to Patek Phillipe and Vacheron Constantine. I actually could have afforded something there, though the trip alone cost enough that I wasn't going to buy anything.

The antique pocket watch that my mom threw out because she thought it had a false religious symbol on it (mentioned in my podcast) was a Hamilton. It was gold and had a gold chain and knife with my grandpa's initials engraved in it.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Yes, dubstepped, the original ACCUTRON was the tuning fork movement. Those are the ones that I collect. In the last few years, I have been collecting a few ACCUTRON automatics that have been new to the market. The automatics I wear on a daily basis and find them to be an excellent and durable timepiece.

I remember the story about the pocket watch from your podcast. What ever made our parents so unbalanced as to do such things? My maternal grandfather loved me like a son since he had no sons of his own. When he died, I was to inherit the flag from his military funeral and his officers sword. My mother told my grandmother that in no uncertain terms would I accept these items. The American flag I can see but the sword should have been a 'grey' area for me to accept. I loved my grandfather deeply.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Damn Sparky, sorry about the sword and the flag. Cults make people do crazy things for stupid reasons. It was my maternal grandfather that left me the watch too, and my mom got rid of it. There just aren't a lot of good moments growing up in something like we did. Thankfully I had people like my grandfather in my life too. My grandpa would tell me how proud he was of me and taught me things unlike my own parents.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit