It wasn't a Racial Thing...Really

by Yerusalyim 14 Replies latest social current

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Hamas,

What's your point? As a 5th grader I'd NEVER IN MY LIFE, heard that term used as a racial statement. I was raised in what turns out to be a pretty progressive household for it's time and location. My brothers best friend was black and ate with us a lot, and my brother at his house, and we never thought that to be unusual. We refered to Chuck as our other brother. I was trying to get next to his sister at an early age. It wasn't until 8th grade that I began to see the racial side of my hometown.

So, I accept no blame for that incident. There was no way I could have known Alvin would have been offended. Once I discovered why he reacted as he did, I never again used the term. Alvin never gave me a chance. I learned lessons later from that, but Alvin will never know that it wasn't racial. I just hope that he's allowed others to explain what they mean before he automatically attributes someone's innocent words to racism.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Yeru:

I know what you mean but some take offense when they shouldn't . When Anthony was in 8th grade he and his friend <black> were joking around before clase. His math teacher was psycho I mean certified nutball, the bell hadn't even rung yet. He and Anthony were saying something and calling each other boy, WE HAVE always used the term on Ant as a term of affection. "We love you boy", "The boy this the boy that".

Well, she grabbed Anthony by the arm and pulled him out of class and accused him of being racist. I called the school board (no ONE makes my baby cry). It so happened that the assistant Superintendant was a black woman. When psycho lady explained what happened and Anthony explained what happened the Superintendant freaked she explained that she had no right to accuse Anthony of anything, Anthony had said it because he adored his friend and his friend was using the same term GEESH

What was really funny was listening to psycho trying to explain how racist it was to a black woman.

• Scully
    Scully

Good story Yeru. It just goes to show how - without even realizing it or intent - words can act as triggers to other people and cause them to react in ways that surprise us. It also shows how important it is to be willing to clarify something we take issue with, when someone says something that triggers us and causes us to feel offended. Often times, when we communicate with the person we find out that what they said wasn't meant to offend us.

Love, Scully

• teejay
    teejay

Yeru,

Even though you suffered back then, Alvin has suffered worse. He lost a good friend... someone willing to have his back for life. He definitely got the worst end of the deal.

Edited to add:

Yeru, there's little question that some of your political views need a little tweaking, but I have no doubt that you are a man of high integrity. Yeah... I'd break bread with you any time, Brutha. Now... in anticipation of the ... uh... "discussion" that was likely to break out I'd ask the host(ess) to remove all the steak knives from the table, but yeah... you cool with me.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I'm cool with steak knives. I might throw bread at ya though. I'd break bread with anyone here, I might break it ON them, but I'd break it none the less.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit