It wasn't a Racial Thing...Really

by Yerusalyim 14 Replies latest social current

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

This has been on my mind for a while, and not really JW related, but I wanted to share anyhow.

Back in 5th grade (oh so many years ago, right at about 30 years, close to that) anyhow...I had a friend named Alvin. Alvin was black...that never seemed to be an issue for us. However, one day in late spring, Alvin and I were walking home together. Alvin was saying something and I said, "Boy, don't be so ridiculous" or something of that nature. Right away he piped in with "Don't call me boy." I just stared at him confused as he stormed away. Alvin didn't speak to me the rest of the year, and moved away to Gary Indiana that summer.

OK, I'd NEVER heard the term "boy" used in a deragatory manner before. For me, at that time it was like saying "Man, I really liked that movie." Instead I'd say, "Boy, I really liked that movie." I thought he was mad because I called him a boy instead of a man. I was in high school before I figured out that "boy" was a sensitive word for blacks.

What I learned from this, eventually, was that some words can be emotionally charged on the receiving end. I'm a bit more culturally aware than I was back then, and don't refer to blacks as "boy" in any context.

What I hope Alvin could have learned from this, and maybe did later, is that not everything is a racial slur. Get clarification before the leap to the assumption that someone is prejudice like that.

Anyway, that's what's been on my mind for some reason.

Ya'll be cool.

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Wow. Very enlightening!

B'

• Hamas
    Hamas

Have you never seen 'Escape from Alcatraz' with Clint Eastwood?

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

As 5th graders you were boys. It isn't your fault he responded the way that he did.

• Valis
    Valis

I remember when I was in the first grade...It was Terrel, Texas...I was helping my black friend find something he had lost in the field by the school...two black kids were walking by and one of them said something to me and I yelled back..."ni**er"...The tall one came back and punched me in the stomach...I lost my breath and when I asked my friend why he didn't help me I got a rather stern look...I never used that word in a derogatory way again in my whole life..Funny how you think or remember such things Yeru...hope all is well w/you..have a good afternoon.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Hey, thats strange I'm from terrel tx too. Did you know jamie fox was from there as well? Jamie is the one that punched you btw. LOL

B'

• Valis
    Valis

Merc..hmm....I don't remember names from there, but the stories....the woman who was whoring out her daughters...the Dudleys? Maybe I'm hallucinating this...my dad drove a bus in the late 70's there and early 80's for the schools....I learned to appreciate the cheerleaders (terrel tigers) from an early age...eheheh...We always passed the country club to get to the hall.....the cops stopped my dad many times passing it trying to make it on time....Freakin memories...*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Actually Valis, Jamie Fox is a black comedian (used to have his own show) and yes he is from Terrel. I know his father as well.

Merc'

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Hamas,

I've seen escape from Alcatraz, why?

I don't like the "N" word, NO ONE should use it, including blacks.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Well, the black guy in that hates being called 'boy'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit