Does becoming (or remaining) one of Jehovah's Witnesses result in Poverty? Pew Research results differ from Watchtower claims.

by Balaamsass2 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

While not questioning the veracity of the above figures - there is one HUGH variable that is seemingly unaccounted for.

It stood out a mile for me when I first glanced over the PEW stats... but that's the kinda person I am

Disappointingly, the income statistics are 'total family income' with apparently NO information etc regarding SIZE of family group - it's not individual income, but combined for whole family.

How many working age adults make up each family? A single person living by themselves, a married couple with a working age child at home - both make up just one family each.

I think statistically the term normally used would be household with the guide if members contribute to a common household budget such as food they are one household (therefore a household can be made up of unrelated people sharing a house) - likewise people living in a 'bedsit' / own room without sharing food costs etc would each be an individual household.

• sir82
    sir82

I don't think the GB bothers with stuff like this, but there are still a handful of moderately intelligent & capable Bethelites around - accountants, attorneys, etc.

I'm virtually certain they read stuff like this, and it has to - HAS to - give them pause.

I'd bet that well over half of worldwide contribution income comes from the USA....

...the USA where the percentage of JW households earning less than $50,000 per year increased from 65% (!) to 73% (!!!) in just 7 years. Factor in inflation, and the news is even worse.

$50,000 a year for a family leaves precious little for any "extras", including donations to religious "charities".

With their fanatical, hysterical screeds against higher education, the prospects are even dimmer for the future.

What are they going to do when the money from the Brooklyn property sales, and the shameless Kingdom Hall cash grab, is all gone?

As I said, the GB couldn't care less, they've got their lakeside resort and will probably all (except maybe Sanderson & Jackson) be dead by the time the real money woes hit.

But what about the 45 year old Bethel lifer? Where's he going to live, who's going to support him, when the money runs out in 20 or so years?

Are you reading this, lackey Bethel "apostate website" monitor?

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Just getting to the meetings cost me £80 a month in commuting. That's quite an expense for a family of 2 adults and 1 baby and only the father working.

Never donated a penny to the org in all my life. Used to feel bad about it, I'm proud of it now though.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

Look at the Hindu religion. Complete opposite as the JW's.

• Mephis
    Mephis

With the smaller percentages sample size becomes a big problem with JWs. Wouldn't take too much note of increase in college degrees, and the question which indicates some JWs are 'living in sin' would suggest a very broad sample base to say the least.

The broader trends are interesting. It's a religion which actively sets out to guilt trip people over having a well paid job and for being financially secure - while offering televised productions of the perfect family, in the perfect home, living on whatever income a couple of pioneers can scrape together.

• Chook
    Chook

It boils down to what value you put on time , because Jw church takes a LOT of irredeemable time

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Giving up expensive bad habits?

You mean, like suit dry cleaning bills? What about gas and vehicle wear for field circus? Worldwide Damnation Fund donations? Other field circus supplies? And what about those poisonburgers those pious-sneers always seem to have every day for lunch because of field circus? I am sure those items add up.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

If I had been fool enough to listen to all the religion said, the answer would have been Yes for me....However, I rejected the poverty the religion was pushing, mostly for single women. I went against the insane nonsense they were suggesting, namely that I quit my decent job!

However, it was my observation that not everybody is poor in the Jehovah's Witness religion.

(1). Elderly people who came in AFTER they earned their living and had a decent pension are not poor. They lived very well.

(2). Others who came in AFTER they got their college education and career are not poor. (If they were fool enough to quit their good job to pioneer, at least they could get one back at a later date because they had their degree.)

(3). Also, those who have a business are not poor.

But, these people are not the majority of Witnesses...Many Witnesses fall into the category of those who are just about making ends meet. They are hampered by the fact that they do not have a college degree, which is necessary in today's world. The playing field has changed.

However, the religion is still criticizing college. Any person gullible enough to believe people who have NO idea what it is like to live in the real world is going to suffer the consequences of living in a fool's paradise!

• Half banana
    Half banana

The org prefers compliant, uneducated followers since they are easier to hoodwink but not to be overlooked is the mental poverty of being a JW, wasting your life as a guilt ridden, good for nothing slave of the WTBTS.

• Half banana
    Half banana

LongHairGal said,

"Many Witnesses fall into the category of those who are just about making ends meet. They are hampered by the fact that they do not have a college degree, which is necessary in today's world".

And it seems this is almost the exemplary form of JW culture; "followers" being forced by their poverty to remain dependent throughout their lives on the very doubtful wisdom and authority of the GB.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit