Does becoming (or remaining) one of Jehovah's Witnesses result in Poverty? Pew Research results differ from Watchtower claims.

by Balaamsass2 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

As a J.W. "raised in the truth" during the 50s, 60s,and 70s I repeatedly read and heard from the platform how reading the magazines weekly "was the equivalent of a college education" and how many had turned their family economic situation around by being "trustworthy" and giving up expensive bad habits most "worldly people" had. Sounded good.

What is the reality? How does avoiding higher education, and then spending up to 20 hours a week getting ready for, commuting, and then participating in meetings and field service affect family finances?

I find the Pew research numbers interesting. They posted their "Religion in America " 2014 study on Facebook again this week. " OCTOBER 11, 2016

How income varies among U.S. religious groups"

J.W.s had the fewest number of families earning over 100,000 per year. J.W. families also had the THIRD highest number of families living in poverty. Interesting fruits from Watchtower Bible and Tract Society and the "discrete" slave.

"Among those denominations with the lowest household income are two historically black churches, the National Baptist Convention (9% live in households with incomes of at least $100,000) and the Church of God in Christ (9%). Jehovah’s Witnesses also have low household income (4%). In all three of these groups, nearly half of all members have household incomes of less than $30,000 per year."

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/10/11/how-income-varies-among-u-s-religious-groups/

• Londo111
    Londo111

It's bad news for Watchtower...there's little "silver and gold" to be had.

• Giordano
    Giordano

48% of JW's earn $30,000 a year or less. With just 4% earning $100,000 or more.

Obviously their lack of higher education has hurt their earning capacity coupled with a lifetime acceptance of their ever changing 'truth'.

Being discouraged to apply critical thinking creates a mental short fall that also affects their ability to better their lot in life.

As pioneers my wife and I had to spend at least 25 hours a week in FS plus another 20 to 25 hours in meetings and meeting prep.

When we left the religion we regained control of our time and quickly caught up to our non JW peers.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Another factor to consider is the aging population of JWs. These are people who have no plans for retirement and are forced to rely on Social Security. This automatically puts this group into a poverty state.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I believe the data they used is from 2014, which is the same as I've used here.....

What's interesting is to compare, not just the religions with each other, but the religions with themselves over time, say seven years?

Over a seven year period JW's have seen a

• 15% INCREASE in the lowest income bracket

• 55% DECREASE in the highest income bracket

Remember money is worth less in 2014 than 2007 - https://www.measuringworth.com

• A wage of $30,000.00 from 2007, would need to be $34,100.00 in 2014 (nominal GDP per capita)

• A wage of $100,000.00 from 2014, would be $88,100.00 in 2007 (nominal GDP per capita)

• sir82
    sir82

Interesting chart comparison - seems to correspond to the time period where money has become more and more of a pressing issue for WT leadership.

I used to think that "tithing", or some slightly more palatably worded variation of it, would be a solution to the WTS money woes, but this chart seems to say otherwise.

Look at the Mormon nos. vs. the JW numbers.

Tithing won't help.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Interesting chart comparison - seems to correspond to the time period where money has become more and more of a pressing issue for WT leadership.

Over the same seven year time period JW's have seen a

• 50% INCREASE in reporting a college degree
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Thank Jeehoobity, that some of the elderly Sister's "worldly" husbands bought houses, with basements..... Otherwise, where would all the Dubs live?

DD

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

And over the same seven years

• White JW's have DECREASED by 21%
      • Hispanic JW's INCREASED by 33%
    • redvip2000
      redvip2000

Over the same seven year time period JW's have seen a

50% INCREASE in reporting a college degree

Indeed this is an interesting aspect, because you would then expect income to be climbing somewhat, but instead it's declining. In my mind this means as someone already said that this is probably due to the average age of JWs steadily increasing. While younger ones steadily leave the cult, the remaining ones leave the work force into retirement and begin to make less money.

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit