Bad News For Vivamus!!!

by ISP 21 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP
    Smoking to be banned in Amsterdam coffee shops

Smoking is to be banned in Amsterdam's famous coffee shops where cannabis is sold without fear of prosecution.

Under a new public smoking ban, coffee shops will still be able to sell joints but customers may have to go outside to smoke them.

Holland's new national health guidelines, due to take effect from the start of next year, were aimed at second-hand smoke from tobacco, not marijuana.

But they are also threatening the liberal Dutch drugs policy which attracts tourists from all over the world.

"The whole point of going to a coffee shop is to smoke," complained Arjan Roskam, chairman of the Union for Cannabis Retailers.

The head of the Dutch anti-smoking lobby, Clean Air Now, conceded that banning smoking in coffee shops was not the goal.

But Willem van den Oetelaar still backed the move. "It's not our priority, but it is a good thing," he said.

The Netherlands boasts around 800 cannabis cafés, the first of which was opened in 1972. The sale of marijuana remains officially illegal in the Netherlands, but its use has been decriminalised.

• Brummie
    Brummie

She is going to be so traumatised by this! Lets rally around her folks, she's gonna need our support.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

LOL poor thing. I thought she logged online from home?

• JH
    JH

Was he in the non smokers section?

• Robdar
    Robdar

This news entirely sucks. It's idiotic to have de-criminalized maryjane and then not allow you to smoke it inside the coffee shop.

Speaking from experience, if you smoke the herb outside, the Dutch give you dirty looks. It's funny, you can be in the red light district toking on a number and a fornicating Dutchman, who is so drunk he can't walk, will stumble to the other side of the street and give you a self righteous look for smoking the spliff.

Poor Viv. Poor me. I was looking forward to taking another trip to Holland. It gets cold and having to sit outside and smoke a doobie is not my idea of a good time. I guess I will take it back to my hotel room and mellow up.

Robyn

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

*Breathes in*

NO WAY thats gonna be happening!

*Breathes out*

There is a lot of talk about prohibiting smokers in public places like restaurants, and even the non-smokers agree thats its ridiculous. As for forbidding the MJ smokers, I can't see it happening. Honestly, my country is incapable of such a inane *doesn't even know if its really a word* act of utter horrible-ness.

*Breathes in again*

-

European District Overbeer

• Prisca
    Prisca
    There is a lot of talk about prohibiting smokers in public places like restaurants, and even the non-smokers agree thats its ridiculous

What's so ridiculous about it?

Here in Australia, you can not smoke in public places. That includes all restaurants, cafes, shops, hospitals, offices, places of entertainment etc. You can only smoke outside, and at public bars, clubs etc.

I'm glad of the law's rule. I can't stand cigarette smoke. Passive smoking does kill.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Passive smoking does kill

Actually, there's been a bit of controversy recently over a new study that casts doubt on the idea of passive smoking being so deadly. That being said, I can't really survive very long around people smoking - it sets my asthma very easily.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Whats ridiculous about it, is that when going to a bar, I want a cigarette. Our bars, are smoker-friendly. If that law should go through, profits for that sector will go down, cuz people want to have that smoke.

It's bloody absurd that I would have to go in exhile when I want to have a fag. Good restaurants, bars etc, have GOOD ventilation installed, that do keep the smokers section and non-smokers section seperated.

And the idea that one cannot smoke MJ in a coffeshop anymore, well, thats absurd, shocking and ridiculous.

-

European District Overbeer

• Prisca
    Prisca
    Actually, there's been a bit of controversy recently over a new study that casts doubt on the idea of passive smoking being so deadly.

Yes, I heard about that study. Funny that it was funded by a tabacco company

Passive smoking does kill. My mother was a non-smoker (JW from the time she was 3). By the time she was 50, she developed lung cancer. The Drs said her lungs were that of a smoker. Why? Because she lived at home until she was 28. Her father was a heavy smoker. Having left school at 15, and with a sick mother to tend to, she spent most of her time at home. Thus, she breathed in her father's second-hand smoke, which affected her lungs.

Having seen a person literally die from passive smoking (gradually getting sicker over time, and finally on the hospital bed), I have very strong views on this subject.

If that law should go through, profits for that sector will go down, cuz people want to have that smoke.

The cafes might find that people who were turned away (or for health reasons) from cafes etc because of the smoke, might return! Surely a smoker can do without for the 5mins or so it takes to drink a cup of coffee!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit