To Veil or Not to Veil, that is the question.

by Yerusalyim 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002
    I believe driving is a right.. since you should be able to go where you want, provided you don't infringe on people's land or rights. I believe that how you get there is none of the government's business, as long as no one is wreaking any havoc. Whether you want to get somewhere by motor vehicle or horse.. as long as it doesn't interfere with other people, you have a perfectly legal right to get there. I realize that laws are necessary to protect people from accidents and stuff, but that is my own ideal.

Wrong. Driving is a privilege that must be earned. To legally drive you have to own a car (title or registration, etc.), you have to have appropriate insurance, you have to pass the driving exam to be deemed competent to get behind the wheel for both the safety of yourself and others. If it was an inherent right then you might as well let anyone and everyone get behind the wheel even if they are not capable and maybe they can kill someone on the road, maybe it will be you or someone you love eh?

Hell,if driving is your right, then flying is my right. I think I will go commandeer a plane and ignore all FAA regulations and park right at O'Hare International.

By your logic, alcoholics could say they can drive home from the bar. After all, driving is their right.

Regarding people being able to go where you want? Absolutely. They have planes, trains, buses, taxis, bicycles, hell, even riding in someone else's car with them driving. The point is there are MANY other means of transportation besides you driving. You must abide by the law.

None of the government's business? Your absolutely right. Police should not patrol the roads looking for people who violate the law. You must abide by the law.

Yes, people have a right to get where they are going. They do not necessarily have an inherent right to any and all means of transit though.

• riz
    riz

Not to veil.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

While we are at it, take a trip down to your local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) and have a look at the manual for the driving exam.

If you read the entire booklet, it is outlined in simple English that driving is a priviledge, and not a right. It also goes into explicit detail as to why this is the case. If you signed your driver's license and accepted it then you agreed to abide by any and all terms therein.

This goes to show people should pay more attention to whay they read and participate in.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Simon,

One point you might have missed is that here in the good ole US of A State's Rights supercede Federal laws in most cases. Each state can make it's own laws regarding issues such as drivers licenses, etc. I don't know if that's true in the UK.

Also, just because Illinois gave her a DL with a Veiled photo doesn't mean that's what the LAW allows, some clerk might have given her an exemption, I honestly don't know. Florida apparently has a different view on the matter. But, with changing laws and attitudes since 9-11 I think she's ultimately fighting a losing battle I think.

Look, I'm all for religious accomodation, that's how I make my living in the military, I'm passionate about it; but common sense needs to win out sometimes.

• Realist
    Realist

its easy...either she wants to drive or she wants to obey the invisible man in the sky. both is not possible (unless she eases up a little).

such bullshit lawsuits should not even pass a preliminary test. its rediculous that judges have to spend time for such nonsense.

• rem
    rem
    I believe driving is a right.. since you should be able to go where you want, provided you don't infringe on people's land or rights. I believe that how you get there is none of the government's business, as long as no one is wreaking any havoc. Whether you want to get somewhere by motor vehicle or horse.. as long as it doesn't interfere with other people, you have a perfectly legal right to get there.

Ummm... no. Driving on public roads (funded by tax dollars) is not a right, but a privilege. You have a right to drive around on your private property all you want.

rem

• seawolf
    seawolf
    If the law already allows for her to be veiled then it's Ok. If not, they she either takes the veil off for the photo which she doesn't have to go round showing to people unless she commits a driving offense or she doesn't drive.

Actually, quite often you have to show your drivers license when using checks. I've even had to show my drivers license several times when using a credit card because some places have had a lot of problems with stolen credit cards. I hand him/her the credit card, s/he swipes it through the machine and asks me to see my drivers license. Quite often s/he compares my signature in addition to my photo.

I don't see how any of this photo ID is going to happen with her drivers license being all black except for two eyes? What's the point in taking her picture if that's all there is? No picture, no license.

I do find it interesting that she already got a license where she lived before and didn't remove her veil.

Look, I'm all for religious accomodation, that's how I make my living in the military, I'm passionate about it; but common sense needs to win out sometimes.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Valis
    Valis

*LOL* rem...I guess she could suit up w/the hijab and cruise her driveway with impunity...*LOL*

um riz...can you please change your avatar? You're ruining my fantasies..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• riz
    riz

hey valis- what about my fantasies? don't they count? next you'll ask me to put on a veil

• Hamas
    Hamas
    Mohammed Atta and other hijackers/extremists had the right to practice Islam

Or so you believe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit