Reasons for NOT Returning

by Saved_JW 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Saved_JW
    Saved_JW

I left the Watchtower in the Winter of 2008. My first year out was by far the most difficult. I had every intention of returning to the Watchtower for the very purpose of being able to speak with my friends and family. I had already concluded that the teachings were not the "truth" [after reading Crisis of Conscience] So coming back was more emotional then anything.

The longer I was away however, the easier it became to deal with the emotional trauma. Much of my coping was being able to talk to struggling Jehovah's Witnesses over the years. I have found that they have helped me more then I had helped them. Its for this reason I wanted to discuss a few of the reasons why I will not return to the Watchtower. I hope that this can help some lurkers on this board who are considering this as an option.

1- Legalism

Phil 3:7-11

"But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in[a] Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead. "

I look back at my past experience in the Watchtower which was full of Legalism. I was really a slave to the tenants and regulations imposed upon me. I thought of myself as righteous, but in reality, I was living in a way to promote myself, advance myself and give glory to myself, not God. This is exactly what Paul was going through. He had much to boast about himself and his accomplishments as a Pharisee. But looking back, he considered it all garbage when compared to knowing Jesus.

I didn't pick the easiest path. [The Watchtower would have been easier, living by works, and having the social approval of friends and family to reinforce fallacious beliefs] I chose the path that was fulfilling. Because no longer am I about promoting myself, I live for God.

2- Life of Illusion

If you think about it. Being in the Watchtower is a lot like being an actor. Jesus actually condemned the Pharisees by calling them hypocrites. This word in greek means "a stage actor"

In ancient times a stage actor was really at the bottom of the social ladder [unlike today] they made their living pretending to be somebody they are not. This often times meant wearing a mask during a performance. People never really saw WHO the person was , only the person they were portraying.

Jesus was comparing the Pharisees to these stage actors who wore a religious mask. Who feigned righteousness and piety, but on the inside were wolves.

What a fitting description of the Watchtower mindset. The Organization itself prides itself on being "Clean" on the outside. But inside is decayed and spiritually dead. They feign righteousness by what they wear and how they act [in public] but the reality is quite different.

I had to ask myself.... If I return to the Watchtower, would I be comfortable returning to a life of a stage actor? Whats even worse, knowing full well the deceptive nature of the Watchtower, and its false teachings, would I feel comfortable living a life inconsistent with my beliefs?

IN a way I think that would be worse then the Rank and File JW, at least they live their life in blissful ignorance of the deception before them.

3- Fake Relationships

The Watchtower is masterful at using a mechanism of fear to control and manipulate people into conformity. They do this by social peer pressure. [Yes the very mechanism they preach against in other contexts] The result is a social standard in the JW community governed by fear, not freedom of expression.

This is all but guaranteed with the checks and balances within the authority structure itself. "Independent Thinking" is strongly discouraged and any thought not in conformity to the Organization will quickly be escalated to the elders. The result is relationships that are very shallow. The relationship's are effectively guided and manipulated by social standards that are not genuine. Sure your friends and family will be there for the good times, but what about those times of depression when you really need to be open and honest with them? You can kiss that hope goodbye. These psudo relationships are one of the reason why I did not want to return to the Watchtower.

In fact, I remember a conversation I had with my dad a few years back. One of the things he told me [intentional on encouraging me] was "Love is waiting for you"

I couldn't help but laugh at that statement. What he was really saying was that the natural love a parent has for a child is currently suspended, conditional upon my return to the Watchtower. That was evidence enough for me to rethink the value of the relationships found in the WT, even with family ties.

4- Broken Testimony

Think for a moment about the tidal wave of gossip that possibly surrounded in the Kingdom Hall the moment you left. Many people were left questioning "Why?"

The biggest testimony we have against the Watchtower is to be a shining example of success outside the Watchtower. Whether you realize it or not, people are always wondering how you are doing from time to time. They have to consciously suppress any negative emotion [cognitive dissonance] that may trail behind the reasons for you leaving the Watchtower.

What if you Returned? Well, there would be no reason for them to suppress those emotions anymore. Their testimony in the Watchtower would then be reinforced as a result of your return. All of that time you spent outside would have been wasted.

One of the things that scared me was what Jesus said at Matthew 10:33

"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33"But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven."

The thought of them making that announcement on the stage ____ Is now one of Jehovah's Witnesses.... would be tantamount of denying Jesus for the acceptance of men. No thank you

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Love this post

Thank you very much

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Saved, your post reminds me of something I observed right away when I left the jw's and joined a new church. In the first sermon I heard, the pastor spoke of his own human weaknesses, how he felt when his daughter was born and he learned she had severe physical abnormalities. It was almost shocking to me. Not once in any talk did I ever hear a witness brother say anything of their own personal weaknesses or struggles or lapses in faith. Not once! Everyone has to pretend they are perfect all the time. It's difficult to find any genuine witnesses who aren't 'pretending.' Even among friends, you don't talk about these very real things. It's not part of their culture, which is built around 'appearances.'

It's still hard for me to admit my own failures to other people, but I'm learning, and its a much healthier practice than pretending I'm perfect.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    Great post. Excellent testimony for anyone thinking about going back. Really makes you think. You give very logical and reasonable things to say.
  • airborne
    airborne

An important scripture for me when I DA'd in 2014 (after twenty years) was John 14:6, which I put in my letter to the elders.

Jesus says there "I am the way, THE TRUTH, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Great post.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Very good reasons to not return, it is like complying with blackmail.

If I can quote a person from the Borean Pickets web page:

"Duplicity is not a quality that identifies a heart filled with holy spirit." If the WT is duplicitous, it cannot be filled, as it claims to be, with holy spirit.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Very informative post on not returning.
  • Bugbear
    Bugbear

Thank you for your post Saved JW.

I have been studying the Bible for almost 20 years….After graduating in History and Science comparing to the the Bible scriptures I have have come to to the conclusion that the Bible cannot give you any reason to believe in it at all. So I wonder, why do you use the Bible as as a FACIT to your believes? I think that most people will do better of by thinking by themselves. Not using all old Christian or Islamic propaganda to examine their believe. Nor of them are a fact or a FACIT, to the world?

Bugbear

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    cant disagree with any of that, good points
  • Alive!
    Alive!

Thank you for your excellent post Saved JW.

If someone was looking for 'a Christian' reason not to be a JW - this provides a great example.

When I look back, I see an unhealthy emphasis on 'looking good'

The buildings were kept in tip top condition - renovations and redecorating was a constant thing in our circuit - spending hundreds of thousands and a huge amount of manpower on needless projects, working bees....replacing perfectly good chattels and interior furnishings with new, new, new.

Sadly, the same level of care was not given to the downtrodden souls and hearts of those in need.

An in-law made the comment 'that religion eats it's own'.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit