What Do JWs Think Of Those Like Us That Have Left?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Depends on the person. I have had people look at me like I just raped her mother, others like the are so sad to see me leave and not come back. Some have looked at me like I was Satan in person.

• minimus
    minimus

Mick u r funny

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    What do JW's think of those like us that have left?

The same that we think about Anthony Morris III

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

What do active Witnesses think of those who left? They don't. That is for one of two reasons -

1. That would require thinking of someone other than themselves. I always found Witnesses to be rather selfish people.

2. They don't because that would require thinking and thinking is discouraged by the Governing Body. The Governing Body will do all the thinking.

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

I am assuming the question is for ex-jw to say what they think JWs think about ex-members.

But here is what a JW thinks, well it's one JW, I can't speak for the others. I am a pimi, and I find it fascinating and sad also. I find it fascinating because many of you (not all) used to be as convinced about what you believed was the true religion, as you are now about believing it is not. And believing in God, and now some are atheists. A complete 180 degree turn. The sad part is, this must be quite mentally taxing on some of you (not all) and especially if as a result you lose family to shunning in the process. I don't feel sorry for you, in the sense that we all make life choices, and usually when we want to gain something, we have to give something else up. That is a fact of life. But I am glad you have found a support system such as this forum here.

I don't think most of you are "mentally diseased", but you have merely made your choices, and see things differently now. I understand why some of you are angry for various reasons. I think if there was no shunning policy, most of you would be quite happy and would have no need to feel bitter or say nasty things about the WT. But there are some, who insist that other people see things their way. And even if there was no shunning policy there would be conflict because of that. But for the most part, you all just believe differently now. And you are entitled to that of course.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Nitty Gritty:

You do have a point. As one psychologist says, "Pick your damn sacrifice." Freedom sometimes requires change and change always requires sacrifice. Some people prefer to the security of familiarity over freedom.

The problem comes in when the choice is not a choice. I was born to Witness parents. They did as the Watchtower tells them - raise your children to be Witnesses. So, at the age of 14 I was baptized. Not because I wanted to be baptized, but because I was steamrolled into it by my parents.

We see all too often children who stand firm in their desire not to be a Witness thrown out on the streets by the Witness parents. They do this out of fear of their status within the organization. This is a fact and it cannot be denied.

So, yes, I made a sacrifice. I sacrificed my relationship with my parents and siblings by following facts, documented historical evidence, archeologic evidence, geological evidence, logic and reason. I separated myself from my family by deciding not to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I knew my family would choose their obedience to the Governing Body over their familial ties to me.

The difference is that I accept them, even while they practice their faith while they reject me because of their obedience to a man-made organization that condemns former believers and openly pines for our death (see Anthony Morris III recent video). I respect anyone's beliefs and would never do anything to actively try to get them to change. Faith is a very personal thing. So, unless my family earnestly asked me to share with them why I no longer share their beliefs I will keep that to myself.

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

@ truth_b_known

I agree, it is a bummer being raised in the religion, getting baptized as a minor, and then changing your mind later. I have my own views about shunning family, I feel it is up to each individual to decide and should not be dictated by anyone. The Bible is not clear about shunning with a one size fits all model.

Most JWs do not believe they are following man, or a man made organization. When you believe the Bible is from God, then the pattern for the Christian congregation and its principles are laid out there, and so you are following God. But if someone doesn’t believe the Bible is from God, then all that is irrelevant of course.

Yes, Anthony Morris has some strong opinions, and they are not always the opinion of everyone else.

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades

@ nitty gritty you say you are PIMI

A PIMI that filters or Mentally in that FILTERS is that correct?

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades

What about a PIMI JW sending a message to you saying those taking the lead in the congregation told everyone to view you not as a FRIEND but more like an ENEMY. The video of AM says it all.

The fact that some were asked to seek those for who have left or become inactive coming from the PROMPT of a watchtower article and members followed the content of the article says a lot about how they view those who LEFT.

• newleaver1
    newleaver1

@ nitty-gritty as someone who was disfellowshipped quite recently in march we are not mentally diseased or all bitter as you may think. I have seen a lot of injustice throughout my 24 being baptized. I think there are a lot of sincere people in the religon but it is also if your face fits you get invited to places.

I dont hate the people in the religon. If i can ask you something where in the bible does it say a daughter should stop speaking to her father? God wants parents to be able to being their children up. That is why the disfellowshipping policy needs to be looked at.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit