Getting older, losing loved ones

by Gorbatchov 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Just reading a posting about relive a day for one year of your live...

Getting older, I am so sad thinking about years ago and missing my family members.

Am I the only one believing they would never die?

Now my father and mother are 70.

I can't believe living without them.

How are you living with that?

G.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hi, Gorby:

We relate, feeling sad along with you.

I am your parents' age and now wish my parents were here so that I could tell them I love and appreciate them. Likewise, those of us who are estranged from JW family -- will we ever get to see them, talk with them, hug them before we ourselves die?

My family believe what I taught them; I was the first JW in my family. Their thought is if we inactive, lost sheep die before Armaggedon, Jehovah may, in his mercy, resurrect us into the New World.

I want to be with my family NOW!

• steve2
    steve2

The death of parents is very difficult for children at the best of times; but it's made even more difficult by religious beliefs that promise deliverance from death but repeatedly fail to deliver.

With each successive generation of end-times believers, there is a constant refrain of thoughts such as, "We did not expect to grow old and die in this system...yet we are." Count the number of generations who have died out since Chuck Russell started preaching 'the end is near'.

• karter
    karter

Every day i read the obituary as long as my name is not in there i consider this to be a good day.

Karter.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Hi Gorby your parents have reached the biblical three score and ten years of their life .hopefully they will go on for much longer .

I was told my children would never have to go to high school one is now 55 and the other 49 (both out of jw)

Hopefully it will still be a long time before they see both parents pass away LOL

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

My mom became a JW when we were little kids, and we followed.
    My father was opposed to any of us being JWs.

My dad died before I woke up, and a day doesn't go by that I don't wish I could tell him he was RIGHT all along, and that I am sorry.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

I feel your sadness Gorbatchov, my parents firmly believed they would live to see the new system but my mother died in 1988 and my dad in 1994. I'm getting up to their age now and even my psychologist talks about me being in my final years!

I'm just sad that every one of my years has been dominated by 'the truth' I don't miss my mum, she brought us into this, my dad was opposed but came into eventually and then left when he was quite old. I wish he was here to talk to. When he kept saying the truth was wrong, I wouldn't listen. I wish I could have him back. Enjoy every moment of your family, here's wishing your parents will go on for a long, long time yet. X

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Oh Gorby of course I understand. I feel the same way. I never took care of myself believing Jehovah would make it right. I never truly grieved believing I would see them again. Two close friends took their own lives and I think about them constantly - I know there are things I could have done to stop them, and now I can never make it right with them.

Ttdtt My grandfather was an atheist and I gave him hell. I would give anything to see the only man that ever loved me again and tell him I'm sorry, that he was right and give him the biggest hug.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Gorby - My 59th birthday this month and it's not nice. I have seen couples get wed, bring up children, the children get wed or whatever young people do these days............and ultimately death.

Now that I am convinced there is no afterlife, the thought of death is abhorrent to me. Life is precious.

I was led to believe I'd never die, or I'd come back with my loved ones. It's a nice thought but rubbish. I feel conned out of a life I could have had.

None of this sits well with me.......................

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

So sorry about your sadness. Facing the realities of life is very tough, which is why so many people try to look for shortcuts or ways to escape it. That's also why so many of these groups that take advantage of people are successful. The realities of life are tough, not easy to deal with. But we can learn to live with them.

I hope you enjoy the time you have with your loved ones and make the best out of it, and stop wasting time in this life preparing for a next one that may or may not happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit