Local Needs Talk Given About My Family

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

This week, the local needs talk dealt with showing loyalty to Jehovah and His Organization. The account of Achan and his family was discussed. Because they did not report what Achan had done, the entire family was punished by Jehovah with death. Then it was said that if we knew that a family member was violating God's laws and still did not report it to the elders, those persons would all be adversely judged by God. We were told that we have a responsibility to seek the elders' loving care so that they might help the erring one. I guess next time my daughter dates or gets engaged to an "unbeliever", we're supposed to tell the elders.

• JH
    JH

The elders want to know everything. The more they know, the more they can control. And they say God wants this.

There are certain things that elders should not know. It's none of their business. Do we know everything about elders, and everything in their personal lives?

They are obsessed with the image that they give. They want to look pure from the exterior, so that others will be impressed.

• blondie
    blondie

Well, minimus, if they were the caring, loving shepherds they purport to be, they would have known by having a close relationship with her as one of the sheep.

Proverbs 27:23 (NWT)

You ought to know positively the appearance of your flock. Set your heart to your droves;

What a bunch of pompous asses!

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

I think that the elders haven't really inquired too much about what's happening because they are a bit afraid to approach me. I've made it known that if I wanted their help that I would approach them. I told them when they talked about having a shepherding call, that I didn't want them over. All that they do now is ask how we're doing and tell us that they miss us. And then they scurry away.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Good for you minimus! Don't let them push you around or try to intimidate you! The way they are handling this is very passive agressive and shows how pompous and controlling they are. Take care! :) ~Aztec

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Minimus. I had to sit through one of those " talks ", and I can't believe I didn't stand up at the time and just tell them all to just FOOK OFF !

And that fargan Achan story, That got to be the jws "most rented video" version of a reproof talk.

I honestly don't know how you can put up with that crap.

• blondie
    blondie

I always wonder why they feel everyone must tattle to them about the rank and file, but they can't tell the police some brother is sexually molesting a child.

Blondie

• Huxley
    Huxley

Damn good point Blondie.

I think they want to be the warehouse of information. Go to them first and they will see how far it needs to go.. argggggggggg!!!!

Huxley

• Huxley
    Huxley

That story about Achan really bothers me.

Some guy swipes a little booty, and the almighty punishes all the Israelites in battle. Then he punishes the family when Achan's stash is discovered. Always seemed totally unjust to me.

Huxley

• minimus
    minimus

If the elders were to talk to my daughter, she would have either lied to them, not talked to them or listened to their voices and not heard a word they'd have said. All they would have done is "mark" her. But "marking is totally ineffective when you don't go to any meetings. So the next best thing is to try to publicly admonish the family. I went over to one elder after and said, "THAT WAS AN INTERSESTING TALK". He just half smiled and walked away. Unfortunately, my mother was very bothered that she was labeled as disloyal and asked me not to talk to her about negative things about "the truth", because it's stressing her out. So I'll keep quiet until SHE brings it up again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit