Up date on moi

by shera 29 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Sorry, perhaps I should have said "eliminates all symptoms/indications of autism." The inventors of the Sonshine program "cured" their severely autistic boy. He now seems completely normal, graduated college, got married, etc.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

BTW, it's called the SonRise program, not Sonshine.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I found their main web site:

http://www.son-rise.org/

When my wife started this program, we watched a documentary on the creators and the success they had with their son. Simply amazing. They have been able to help many, many others with this program.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I have an austic nephew...I am not sure how severe, since he is in a dub family and I never see them (just not close..not a shunning thing/they live about 6 hours away)

I admire that you were able to be strong to figure out what was best for both you and your son.

Keep your chin up, and never forget to come here when you need encouragement.

• Brummie
    Brummie

drwtsn...Thank you for the url. I find this fascinating since we use all of the techniques mentioned there when working with adults, we do help to moderate and change the challanging behaviour but the autism is permanent. The adults didnt have all of this information available when they were children so its great to see the awareness and the advances being made now.

The sonrise program sounds excellent for younger people, I am going to be looking into it and am about to study for qualifications to teach younger folk who have autism. This is timely so thanks again.

One thing that I commented on recently when discussing "cures" for autism, is that the autism is very much a part of who the person is, if you take away the autism you take away the identification of the person. This story you have highlighted might change my mind. If these seemingly miraculous changes can be made from an early age then there is a case...i'm sceptical at the moment.

Brummie

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Brummie, I don't blame you for being skeptical. I had always thought autism was permanent and there wasn't much you could do about it. Watching the documentary of the Kaufman's was incredible.

I apologize if I came across wrong. My wife has MS and we hate hearing about all of these supposed "cures" from people who mean well. I hope the information I was able to provide will be of some benefit. I regret using the word "cure"...

My wife should be joining these forums soon; if you guys are interested she would be very happy to discuss her experiences with the SonRise program and the autistic boy she is helping. It is heart-warming.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Your wife will enjoy it here, there are a few posters here who have children or relatives with autism. Petty, Shera, Utopian Raindrops and others. Dont worry about using the word "cure" it was just coincidental that I picked up on it because I was having the same discussion just yesterday with someone I work with who was talking about "stem cells" curing autism. I'm all for advancement but sometimes people forget that these adults are autistic by nature and you cant replace their nature. Its not a disease. Imagine adults waking up in the morning and finding they are totally different people with nothing in common with who they were yesterday...

thanks again, I've bookmarked the url

Brummie

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

The son-rise program (like many others) can help with the "symptoms" of autism, but as Brummie has said, there is no cure. We ourselves incorporate many of the techniques in the above mentioned program, but we also have to incorporate many techniques from many programs (i.e. ABA, Playtime (alot like son-rise, etc. etc.). It also depends on the level of autism - so many fall within the "spectrum" and there is no "cure" - so each much follow the techniques that work with their particular child.

We also follow a specific diet, that although "pooh-pooh'd" by the medical industry showed much progress for our child. We eliminated certain toxic elements (i.e. gluten & caisens) and this turned on the "light" for him - it didn't cure him, but it did turn "On" his brain.

Shera - take it slow & steady.....when you have an opportunity, research the web for any techniques that you might find useful....also, please enlist on the Autism-Michigan Yahoo group - I'm there & you will find many many parents like myself to give much needed advice & encouragement. If there are any materials you feel may help, please don't hesitate to ask - I have lots! :)

• shera
    shera

Thanks to everyone here,I hate to sound like a downer.The sunrise is in the good ol' USA,they really can't offer me anything,I do get a booklet from them every so often.I get so when I see all these therpies and other things out there for him and they are out of reach.There is a geneva cetre in Tronto and I asked them is there were able to help in any way.The answer was no,I have to be a resident of Ontario.

DARN IT,I live in the worst province in Canada when it comes to helping people like Matthew.He does have a good program in school,the teachers have been doing the best they can,but when I ask them to help me out and give me info.They never do....whats wrong with people here? I don't know if they keep forgetting or they just can't show me their teaching skills?

Even our autism society,recieved 1 000 000.00 buck a roos and none of this helped my son.I think it went into the pockets for people who work for the society.,and thier austic children or family members.

I would love to move but there is a broken families involved and we don't want to leave any children behind.

I really want to learn P.E.C.S the professional way,would there be any way someone could send me a trustworty place I could order a one? I don't have a printer so I cannot print a form up.

I asked for a good respite care worker,but I still don't get enough help with respite care money to hire someone I want.I get a big 250.00 a month and these people want to make a job out of this....blaaaaaahhhh.

Like always you have all brought a smile to my face and I thankyou.You are all so great!

I wubs you,

Heather

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

PECS - there are plenty of books on how to incorporate a pec's system for your son - and lots of good websites to download the "icons" you need - but this too shall take patience & time.

If you need help - send me a list of the pec's cards you think matthew could use, along with the type of "schedule" cards as well - or do you need a book on how to do PEC's? We tried w/Nick - and he uses 250+ cards at school - but at home he has refused to use that type of communication (flushes the cards down the toilet) - but it can help children verbalize more as they see the picture associated w/the sound you are making.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit