Political campaigns disgust me

by Reborn2002 23 Replies latest jw friends

• dubla
    dubla
    People who cry over how much athletes get paid are just jealous.

i certainly wasnt crying about athletes getting paid.....i believe they deserve to paid, and paid well....the only reason they get paid the amounts they do is becuase they bring in huge amounts of revenue for the team owners. imo though, paying an 18 year old kid $90,000,000 to wear a pair of shoes is a colossal waste of money, no matter how you slice it.

CEO's make more in one year than atheletes do in their whole career, now that is disgusting.

that is an absolutely preposterous statement, and its so far from the truth that i almost feel bad responding to it. there might, might be a few ceos that make the type of money you are talking about (actually id have to see the figures to even believe that), but they are definitely not the average. id actually venture to say that the opposite is true, that being: the average ceos dont make as much in their entire career as a lot of athletes make in a year.

aa

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I agree with dubla. Not to get into specifics, but let us state the obvious. Unless you are talking about extreme exceptions like Jack Welch of GE, Bill Gates of Microsoft, or Steve Jobs of Apple, there is NO WAY that the average CEO of a business makes as much money as the average professional entertainer. Entertainment is where the $$$ is.

With CEOS, you tend to have annual salary and stocks. Those stock options are often long-term compensation depending on their performance. With professional athletes, you have annual salary (guaranteed), product endorsements, appearance (such as a book) signings, etc.

Alex Rodriguez of the Texas Rangers baseball team makes over $25 million a year for over 10 years, and that is just baseball salary. We aren't even adding on product endorsements (shoes, clothing line, etc.) and appearance fees.

Movie stars? Also entertainment. Jim Carrey, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, and many others command well over $20 million a film. When they do several films a year, you do the math.

How many basketball and baseball stars do you know making double-digit millions a year? Hundreds.

How many movie stars do you know making double-digit millions a year? Hundreds.

How many businessmen do you know making double-digit millions a year? A select few in the upper echelon of Wall Street and Fortune 500 companies. Look at the average compensation. Yes, businessmen do make millions in salary, but not NEAR the inordinate amounts of money entertainers (athletes and actors) receive.

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

George Bush's new speach on re-election:

Lies, lies, lies, lies.....more lies, lies, half-truth's, lies.........pause to look at auto-cue to read more lies.....lies....mis-representation of the facts......lies, lies.

• ignored_one
    ignored_one
    George Bush's new speach on re-election:
    Lies, lies, lies, lies.....more lies, lies, half-truth's, lies.........pause to look at auto-cue to read more lies.....lies....mis-representation of the facts......lies, lies.

I think you'll find that's the standard line no matter what politician they are.

Ignored One.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002
    I think you'll find that's the standard line no matter what politician they are.

I agree 110%

Some people perceive by some of my comments that I am solely a George W. Bush basher. This is not the case. I find fault with almost all politicians. Bush just happens to be the most prevalent currently because he is the sitting President of the United States. If this board had existed when Bill Clinton was in office and I posted here, it would have been the same regarding his immoral practices which humiliated America in front of other world powers, and political handling of the Kosovo conflict.

Dubla-

If you read this, any chance you can find some charts demonstrating the annual salaries of some Fortune 500 companies versus the median income for entertainers, specifically actors and professional athletes? I am sure that would help others see the folly of stating CEO's in general earn more than entertainers.

But back to the topic of the thread I started. POLITICS DISGUSTS ME. The older and more cynical I get, the more I learn toward anarchy

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Ignored one....

Totally agree. Just that the thread was started with a piece on Bush.

All the blatant lying in Tony Blair's government at the moment is un-believable isn't it...especially regarding the new European Union constitution.

I think it's all falling apart at the seams. Years ago, everyone knew they were lying but didn't say so, now even the mainstream media (Daily Mail) are saying that they are lying.

• Jayson
    Jayson

I vote absentee ballot. Campaign money is wasted on me. I'm done before the lies I mean ads come out.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

NBA players earn their money, AFAIAC. They are the stars that bring people to the show. Otherwise why doesnt the CBA , WNBA, or USBL have the same kind of revenues? Star power. Le Bron has probably been overhyped, and even if he isn't, it's hard to imagine him being able to take a garbage team like the Cavs to the playoffs, much less the championship. But we won't know till he starts playing.

Now baseball on the otherhand...

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

$$$ $$

Another myth about "the rich" has been shattered – namely the conventional wisdom that they are all Republicans – thanks to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics. A December 18, 2002 Washington Times editorial reports that donors giving "small and medium amounts" in 2002 overwhelmingly supported the GOP, while "rich or deep-pocketed givers" hugely backed the Democrats!

Those giving $200 to $999: GOP $68 million; Democrats $44 million. Those giving $1,000 to $9,999: GOP $317 million; Democrats $307 million. The "fabulously wealthy" donors of $10,000+ gave $111 million to the GOP – a whopping $29 million less than the $140 million they lavished on the Democrats! Among those who gave $100,000+, the Democrats raised $72 million – more than double the $34 million the GOP took.

In addition, the GOP attracted 40% more individual donors! (George W. Bush set an all-time fund-raising record by collecting the most money from one-thousand-dollar donors in the history of presidential politics.) Far more people giving small amounts exist as contributors to the Republican Party - while Democrats skunked the GOP among the super-rich. That's no surprise, since nine of the twelve richest members of the United States Senate are Democrats.

• crownboy
    crownboy

....And don't forget the second richest man in the world is a Democrat, ThiChi. However, I have to wonder about those statistics you threw out. Did the Democrats get a lot of money from unions, etc., which looked like it came from super- rich people? I have a hard time believing that too many rich people would not favour the Republican tax plan over the Democratic one (except for the Hollywood guys).

I definitely agree with the main topic of this thread. Publicly financed elections would go a large way in eliminating the problem we see in politics today.

While LeBron James' contract would not have been approved if I was Nike's CEO, I tend to think people in general pick on athlete's salaries too much. They wouldn't be getting it if we didn't care about them so much (so stop watching the Dolphins choke every year , dubla. j/k. sort of ). I think Alex Rodriguez' $252 million was way less outrageous than Derek Jeter's $189 million. And this is coming from a Yankee fan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit