Political campaigns disgust me

by Reborn2002 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I do not care if you endorse the Republican party, Democrats, Independents, or even the Green Party. But to see such inordinate amounts of money go into campaigns disgusts me. The economy is flailing and people are homeless and starving, all the while these fatcats live high off the hog and mingle at dinners while kissing one another's asses.

This is not a post directed specifically at any candidate. I only embed this article from MSNBC News to relay to others something I read today that just disgusted me when I looked at the financial numbers.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/916719.asp?0cv=CB10

• dubla
    dubla
    I do not care if you endorse the Republican party, Democrats, Independents, or even the Green Party. But to see such inordinate amounts of money go into campaigns disgusts me. The economy is flailing and people are homeless and starving, all the while these fatcats live high off the hog and mingle at dinners while kissing one another's asses.

i agree 100%......you couldnt have put my thoughts on it any better....its appalling.

aa

• teejay
    teejay

I agree, Jason. Politicians (all of them) give the impression that it's all a game being played on the public. What do they care? It's not their money. Yeah, campaigns might demand a little of their time – might be a little hard work for once – but everywhere they go they get treated like kings and in the end, keep holding office. It's a scam, but whatta ya gonna do?

Just curious: do you vote? I never have, but I think I will this time.

• Realist
    Realist

the intrinsic corruptness of the system is never better displayed than on these occations.

• Gopher
    Gopher

What gets me is the fact that big money buys influence.

The country I live in (USA) is supposedly governed "by the people, for the people", a representative democracy.

True, I can vote and have my say as to who gets into office. But after that, I don't have the money to influence the way things go. If I belonged to a union or was affiliated with some influential lobby, then their influence and money might help shape the way things are.

But other than election day, I have little or no ability to influence my government. I don't have the big $$$.

• dubla
    dubla

not to change the subject on you reborn, but while we are talking about a disgusting waste of money.........

aa

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Every chance of reform soon has gone out the window; the reform act has been shot down, and so PAC money is again allowed into elections.

Just for fun, do a search on who paid what to the politicians in the last presidential election.

• Realist
    Realist

has anyone seen the movie the distinguished gentleman with eddy murphy????

Dubla,

very true! nike is producing its shoes in the 3rd world using child labor so it can spend millions and millions on these idiotic sports stars! what a disgusting world.

• Azalo
    Azalo

People who cry over how much athletes get paid are just jealous. CEO's make more in one year than atheletes do in their whole career, now that is disgusting.

As for campaign finance I agree with Reborn I think that every candidate who gets the necessary signatures to be put on the ballot should get a set amount from each state where they are on the ballot and thats it. They should work like they had to in the old days. I am going to vote though because aside from dissent and protest it is the only voice that I have.

• Realist
    Realist

Azlo,

right....there is always a bigger fish somewhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit