Is it just me...

by arrowstar 25 Replies latest social relationships

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

pr - Thank you so much for your thoughts. It's a pleasure to meet you.

I know what you mean about sharing things with someone. I also understand about being fine living single. Quite a complicated world we live in, isn't it? Keep searching...never give up.

((Robdar))

You little ol' romantic you. Yes...there must be a spark. Definitely. There is someone who I've been seeing that has told me that he loves me and would make me happy all the days of my life. But if I were to say "yes" to that then I would be lying to myself and the relationship would be a lie. I won't do that. My heart belongs to another and he knows that. I've been very honest with this man.

Robyn, like you I'm a romantic at heart. I've often told people that "nothing bad happens in the pink bubble". Silly, yes I know. But there are some days when it's all I have to get me through the day.

I've given that part of my heart and that scares me. But I'm here to tell you, I don't regret it. If I'm going to really live life, I can't hold back. You have to take the good with the bad. It's all a risk. Every last bit of it. If you don't put it out there...give it all you've got...then you're missing out on a world of delights.

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I appreciate it.

Lisa

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Lisa,

I've given that part of my heart and that scares me. But I'm here to tell you, I don't regret it. If I'm going to really live life, I can't hold back. You have to take the good with the bad. It's all a risk. Every last bit of it. If you don't put it out there...give it all you've got...then you're missing out on a world of delights.

That is so true! I made the decision when Neil and I started dating that I couldn't fear what might happen. (pain) I HAD to lay my heart on the line in order for me to FULLY experience the good. Yes, that meant I would FULLY experience the bad (lotso pain!) but it was a risk I was willing to take. I had yet to have a relationship where I had fully given myself over to someone and none of those relationships worked.

Neil and I took a lot of risks with each other that we'd never taken in previous relationships. I told him from the beginning (2nd date) that I wasn't going to have sex again until I was married. I really like him and was scared this might make him not want date #3. But he stuck around. For another two years until we wed. (I've never met a man that was willing to do that!) I told him about a week later that the reason my first marriage failed was because I had an affair. I thought this might scare him off as well. It didn't. Neil expressed to me some personal issues that he struggled with. (I won't share them as these are his to share with you) He was scared it might scare me off. It didn't. I think the mutual fears laid out on the table made us realize that HONESTY and complete disclosure of souls was something that was necessary in order to positively progress. Was it scary? Hell yes it was scary! The night I told him about my first marriage I BAWLED. I was prepared for him to break it off. But he didn't. It's the risk that makes it worthwhile in the end.

If something tragic were to happen to one of us...the other would be sad, distraught. But we would not regret one thing we've done together. We honestly feel what we've experienced is of a divine nature. Pure and wholly what was meant to be. Good and bad combined. It is the first relationship I've ever had where I feel like I am completely accepted, loved unconditionally by another human. It is a difficult place to be at times because it is such unfamiliar territory to me. But if I died tonight, I'd die a happy woman. I would have experienced everything I've ever wanted. So anything else is just icing on the cake! Life is good.

Andi

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

((Andi))

You and Neil are very lucky. Congratulations on finding each other. May your lives together be filled with joy, laughter and love.

You're right...Life is good

Lisa

• Introspection
    Introspection
    I felt that perhaps I would be able to get a wider view.

If I had to sum up my input this would be it, a wider view..

I would say the desire for intimacy and for feeling complete is in all of us, but basically it depends on how far you take it. From the perspective of a lonely single person, of course it is incomplete to be alone, from that perspective. This can happen with all kinds of relationships, it can be your relationship to your parents or whatever, you are whole as an individual but not as a part of a greater whole - but basically we tend to take a view of an individual isolated from a greater whole. That's what being lonely is all about, because in a sense you are alone when you are at one with another, but of course not lonely. There's so much intimacy that you don't feel separate, and at the same time if it is a healthy relationship you don't lose your sense of individuality, it is there simultaneously.

I think the key is there's a big difference between feeling you are one with someone and actually being and functioning as one from a deep intimacy. Those who have studied psychology to some degree probably knows that the initial feel-good phase of a relationship creates enmeshment where you kind of lose yourself and only identify with the relationship itself, so while that is a natural part of the process it does go deeper than that.

This is perhaps where I depart from the common view - my thing is not to emphasize the individual or the intimacy in the relationship or any thing really, but just not to stay focused on any of it. This doesn't mean I don't want a relationship or anything like that, but it has the sense that what we like or don't like is all the same in that it's all a part of life. I think often what happens is not so much the unpleasant feelings that arise, but not knowing why they arise because we are so focused on a part rather than the whole, and we don't have that wider view to put things in perspective. In fact, often times what happens is we just project our own fantasies - either into the other person or into the future, or both. Now I have nothing against hoping for a better future, but I say just know what it is - and if it's going to involve someone else in a relationship why not share that so you can atleast be in on it together? While I think it's a good idea to get to know each other as individuals, I think people get too caught up in that sometimes, too. I mean do you even know yourself that well? Now it kind of depends how far you want to take that question too, but I hate to see people distance themselves from each other because they only think they're a certain way when that's really just trivial stuff.

So having said all of that, I think it can be very simple. I think the main criteria is just to know yourself, and then you just need to be honest in dealing with others, to have a measure of integrity. One thing that kind of relates is that I don't really think in terms of better or worse anymore, just what is fitting or what works together. This is why I think love is really the same as being free, because - well, to take that scripture "the truth will set you free" and applying it to yourself, it is the truth about yourself, but of course the truth about other people you might be in relationship with and just things in general. This is really a very different idea from the better or worse kind of judgement, because you don't have this concept of what a 'good' relationship is supposed to look like. All relationships are going to be different - it's just whatever works. What is based on falsehood will not work in the long run, even if you think you've got a really good idea - that's just our minds going off in to la la land again. You can just imagine how free love feels when it's based on truth right, if it is based on some falsehood there will always be a sense of unease, because that's just not who you are.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

((Introspection)) - You hit the nail on the head there. Thank you so much for your insight.

All relationships are going to be different - it's just whatever works.

That is so true. What works with one may not work with another. But like you said...

...just to know yourself, and then you just need to be honest in dealing with others, to have a measure of integrity.

Exactly!! Honesty. Integrity. Those are key elements.

Thank you again...and it's a pleasure to meet you.

Lisa

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Aztec, Jim_TX, Billygoat, Mulan, SheilaM, Reborn2002, pr_capone, Robdar and Introspection -

Thank you all for your thoughts, insights, and perspectives. I didn't know if I would get a response to my topic when I posted it. What I received was such a gift, I can't thank you enough.

*hugstoyouallfromthenewbie*

Lisa of the grateful class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit