Have fun with todays text!!

by unique1 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• unique1
    unique1

My mom in yet another attempt to strengthen me, has decided to send me the daily text. Today's was especially repulsive. Just thought I would share.

Our Leader has given the congregations "gifts in men." (Eph. 4:8) Our attitude and actions toward them speak volumes as to whether we accept Christ's leadership. It is only right that we 'show ourselves thankful' for the spiritually qualified men that Christ has given. (Col. 3:15) They also deserve our respect. "Let the older men who preside in a fine way be reckoned worthy of double honor," wrote the apostle Paul. (1Tim. 5:17) How can we display our gratitude and esteem for the older men - elders, or overseers - in the congregation? Paul answers: "Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you and be submissive." (Heb. 13:17) Yes, we are to obey them and be submissive, to yield, to them.

OK, Discuss.

• dubla
    dubla

Yes, we are to obey them and be submissive, to yield, to them.

yeah, obey them......obey men, yield to their commands......not at all cult-like....

aa

• integ
    integ

In other words "Listen to, and obey, EVERYTHING the Elders say to you, even if they tell you to drink your own urine, do it, they are God's messengers". Would it not be to your best benefit? Surely.

• unique1
    unique1

My comment: While I do agree with the respect your elders (those older than you) part, that is about all I agree with.

My most recent motto goes well with this. God left the Saducess and Pharisees in charge of his people back in the day but that doesn't mean that they were always right. If Jesus obeyed the Saducees, he wouldn't have done half of the things he did. I think we should obey God as ruler rather than man, just like Jesus did. But that of course, is merely my opinion.

• unique1
    unique1

Integ: Plan on doing that this afternoon. The Watchtower said Urine was the healthiest thing we could drink. Putting back lots and lots of vitamins and protiens into our bodies. They have got to be right, they are after all Jehovah's Faithful and Discreet Slave.

J/K

• Matty
    Matty

Why did your mom leave out the day's scripture?

Extremely telling I think. She obviously cares more about the comments from the Watchtower Society than she does about the bible.

Well, today's text is a doozy for Jehovah's Witnesses:

He gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelizers, some as shepherds and teachers. -- Ephesians 4:11.

This is a difficult verse for many Witnesses to explain away. What's with the "some"? We are all teachers and evangelisers surely?

• unique1
    unique1

I don't know why she didn't include it. I guess she forgot, she usually includes it.

• caligirl
    caligirl

Nanu Nanu

( I read the first words and some insane connection in my brain immediately thought of the Mork & Mindy show and his response to messages from "the leader" - don't ask me why - must be lack of sleep)

On the more serious side, this is truly nauseating. "Yes, we are to obey them and be submissive, to yield, to them." Please pass a barf bag! That is just sick! To equate Christ's leadership with the elders is just insane, offensive and insulting! I also notice that Our Leader is not specifically defined, just capitalized to imply god-like status. I read that and I see "The Governing Body" but of course they mean to imply Jehovah's control over the whole situation. I am repulsed, and yet at the same time, greatly amused by this text. Ultimately, it is just so sad to have ever been controlled by these wackos and I am so grateful that this is no longer the case.

• logansrun
    logansrun

The JWs would state that the "teachers" and "evangelizers" mentioned in this verse (as well as the verse in James where it states, "Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers...") refer to special teachers and evangelizers, ie COs, DOs, missionaries, Bethelites. If you think that sounds like adding a layer of meaning to the scripture that is not really there, well, yeah -- that's exactly what they have done!

Bradley

• integ
    integ

Yes Unique. Are we not grateful to the Faithful Steward for giving us this food (urine) at the proper time? Watchtower 5/20/2005----The Faithful and discreet Slave surely have our best interests at heart by shepherding, and protecting us, from independant thinking? At first glance we may have had the "worldly tendency" to not yield to the Societies direction in the matter of urine drinking. Thinking 'I don't need to drink urine" "I'm just fine with my current liquid intake". Displaying an independant spirit in this matter can only lead to everlasting "cutting off" by aligning ourselves with "Satans' wicked system" and it's "Me First" attitude. Did not Boaz yield to Jehovahs' direction when thoughts of independance tempted him? Surely. We all do well to heed the Faithful Slave's direction on ALL MATTERS pertaining to personal and congregational issues. By doing so we show that we are indeed 'holding fast to what is fine". Admittedly, drinking your own urine may seem distasteful at first, but by so doing we show we are "obedient in all things" and may one day have a chance to drink from the river of life, if and only IF, we stay close to Jah's Organization. NEXT ISSUE: Eating your own shit......Not as bad as you may think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit