Finally told my mother I'm no longer a believer

by YellowLab 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• YellowLab
    YellowLab

For those who don't know, I did the fade about 8 years ago or so.

I finally had a frank talk with my mother the other day about how I no longer consider myself a Witness. She has been a Witness for about 40 years now. I told her everything, how my family has celebrated holidays, birthdays, and even gone to another church. She was a bit taken back about the church thing, but in the end she said "Well, you need to do what you feel is right for your life. It's not my place to interfere with what you choose to do with your life." And that was pretty much the end of it. No shunning, no hard feelings, and a HUGE weight off my shoulders.

Family should stick together no matter what.

YellowLab

• obiwan
    obiwan

I am so jelous, seriously, I'm glad it went so well. I know alot of us on this forum are happy for you and wish thier family could do the same as yours.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Glad to hear it YellowLab

Sounds like she is treating you like an adult with your own opinons. Good for you

Hugs

j2bf

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Great Yellow Lab I am very happy for you.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I'm happy for you. Congrats. Mom must be a grand ole gal.

• onacruse
    onacruse

YL, that is just great, really great...fantastic.

Check your p/m box, eh?

Craig

• blondie
    blondie

That is great, Yellow Lab. I am a fader too, but not for even a year, let alone 8 years. You are happy which is the best testimony to her that your choice was good for you.

Blondie

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

I am so happy for you Yellowlab!

I had a similar experience recently with my mom. I haven't gone to a meeting in over 4 years. When I see my mom, we never discuss any of this. But on the day of the Memorial, it all came out in the open, and I told her I didn't believe the JW's and I intended on never going back. I was so afraid of her reaction, but she was cool about it. I was so relieved! Now if only some of the other posters parents could be so cool and realize that a religion is NOT worth losing your family over. We are sooo fortunate that our mothers are the way they are.( huh, never thought I would say that about my mom, lol )

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

wow, that's terrific to know that some of us can just leave quietly without any hassle! I wish i my mother had been that way.

• marsal
    marsal

I am DF'd. My sister, brother-in-law, and their adult children are the only family members I have that are JWs. They have been JWs for well over 20 years. My brother-in-law has been an elder for at least 20 years and my nephew (only 32) is a PO. None of them have ever shunned me.

My heart breaks when I read the stories on this forum of any of you who are shunned by family members. That has to be so very painful.

Marianne

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit