Question regarding WT policy of divorce in the Philippines

by joe134cd 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I was told the other day by a Philippino work colleague, that to obtain a legal divorce in the Philippines is so drawn out and expensive, that it can put it beyond the reach of most people. Most don’t even bother getting one. So my question is what is the situation with jw who are in reality separated /divorced but in practical terms can’t legally finalise it.

• Incognito
    Incognito

Even when there has been a legal divorce, JWs consider the couple to continue remaining married.

In the JW religion, the only valid reason for divorce is adultery. Unless one spouse has committed adultery, neither can pursue a romantic relationship with another person.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

This matter has been raised before multiple times.

I am just commenting from the little brain I have left, but there is an exception that if "Caesar" makes it nearly impossible to have a legal divorce even though there is evidence that adultery has occurred, that the JW mate can sign some sort of paperwork and provide it to the congregation.

I know someone here has facts on this as I am at work at the moment.

Rub a Dub

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

my wife is filipina.

back in 2012 she was living in the UK--with a student visa. she was married to a filipino. she obtained a divorce here in the UK. so she was then single again anywhere in the world--except the Philippines.

in order to straighten that out--she applied for annulment in the Philippines--which to all intents and purposes is a divorce--the only difference being fat cat lawyers and greedy judges all get their snout in the trough. so it is only affordable to the wealthiest people. unless she can get a foreigner to come up with the cash.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Divorce is illegal in Philippines. The is a process to get the marriage annulled, which is what can be expensive.

JWs are allowed to marry again, even though it is not legally recognised, if the previous marriage has ended up in separation on what is deemed by the elders to be Scriptural grounds.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The Catholic church has a strong influence in that country , that's why divorce has its complications.

• blondie
    blondie

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1974808#h=8:0-9:1276

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1977205#h=29:0-48:580

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101973073#h=20:0-20:1279

tp73 p 150-151

16. In lands where secular law does not allow for divorce on any basis whatsoever, how do Jehovah’s Christian witnesses show due respect for God’s law on the matter?

16 What if the laws of a land do not allow any divorce, even on the ground of sexual immorality? An innocent mate in such case might be able to obtain a divorce in a country where divorce is permitted. Circumstances, of course, may not make this possible. But some form of legal separation may be available in one’s own country and could then be sought. Whichever the case, the innocent mate could separate from the guilty one and present definite proof of Scriptural grounds for divorce to the elders who serve in a judicial capacity in the local congregation of Jehovah’s Christian witnesses. Then if that one were later to decide to take another mate, the congregation would not act to remove him as an adulterer from the congregation, provided a written statement is filed with the congregation. This statement must contain a vow of faithfulness to the present mate and agreement to obtain a legal marriage certificate if the estranged legal mate should die. Nevertheless, the individual would have to face whatever consequences this might result in for him as far as the world outside the congregation is concerned. For the world does not generally recognize that God’s law is superior to human laws and that such human laws have only relative authority.​—Compare Acts 5:29.

Additional:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2012928?q=divorce+government&p=par

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i am surprised at the previous post. the law in that country would prevent a divorce--therefore no subsequent marriage, yet the watchtower cooks up its own way out of the problem.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

yet the watchtower cooks up its own way out of the problem.

Yes the WTS will endeavor itself to retain members so they will twist situations to serve that intent.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Leave the JW's?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit