Did anyone else think that Sept 11 was Armageddon?

by Freedomrules 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Freedomrules
    Freedomrules

I was in Washington at the time (I work for the govt) when the attack occurred. I had a massive panic attack at first and then steeled myself and worked through the night as part of our emergency response team.

I was embarassed by my reaction. did anyone else have a similar experience?

• blondie
    blondie

No, Babylon the Great had not been destroyed yet which the WTS says is a prerequisite before Armageddon can come. So no thinking JW who believes what the WTS/FDS says should have been worried.

Personally, I just live my life the best I can and don't worry about that stuff any more.

Blondie

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002
    Did anyone else think that Sept 11 was Armageddon?

No. Not for one nanosecond.

Prior to 9/11, Americans were living in a self-imposed state of security in which they felt United States soil was invulnerable to attack. After all, it had not happened in 60 years, not since Pearl Harbor in Hawaii on December 7th, 1941, so this generation had never experienced it.(myself included)

If a person took the time to study history and world events, it was a foregone conclusion that eventually something horrible was going to take place here on United States soil.

Granted, there were the bombings of the WTC in 93, and also the Oklahoma City bombing in 95, but at the time that was attributed to a few isolated madmen acting out of resentment of government (Tim McVeigh and Terry Nichols)

I am talking something on such a catastrophic scale. Israel had been enduring terrorist attacks on almost a daily basis for years. It was only a matter of time before that hatred filtered West to the US.

So no, I did not think for one moment it was Armaggedon. Anymore than I would have thought the 1991 Gulf War was the beginning of Armaggedon, or 50 years ago people thought World War II was Armaggedon. However, the Jehovah's Witnesses do not waste EVERY opportunity to incite the ranks and proclaim that the end is ever so near, as they did 50 years ago, as they did 10 years ago, as they did on 9/11, and as they do now.

edited to correct a mistake, I had WTC on my mind and Oklahoma's perpetrators, had to correct the mixup.

• JH
    JH

No, not Armageddon, but a new era in world trouble.

Looking back at this, the terrorists didn't expect so much damage. It was a lucky shot for them. They didn't expect more than 4 or 5 stories destroyed in the world trade center.

Armageddon is a biblical term to bring fear, while what happened in NY and Washington was real.

• Freedomrules
    Freedomrules

Actually, Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols blew up the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. The WTC bombing of 1993 was an international terrorism act, masterminded by the Blind Sheikh, whose name I can't remember right now...Ramzi Youssef?

• obiwan
    obiwan

No, but I ahd wondered how many jw's dropped what they were doing and ran to the nearest kingdom hall.lol

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

No, but I did think it was Armageddon when the Lakers were beaten by the Spurs in game 6.

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

No,

Was working in the Boston area at the time and had put my significant other on a plane that morning to fly back to Oregon. Had to sit down and do the mental math to figure out that her plane would have to have circled for almost 2 hours to be one of the ones that involved. Long wait for several hours to get a call from here when they grounded all flights. Not an experience I would care to repeat.

Goshawk

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

I didn't think so, but that's what spurred my not-so-bright husband to return to the "truth". The end is soooooooooo close now.....See???

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

No, that never even crossed my mind. I WAS horrified, and didn't leave my spot in front of the TV for anything but mandatory activities for many many days.

I was even MORE horrified and disgusted when I began to read about the loving acts of the Boys in Brooklyn that were reported here....the rotten dehumanized hypocrites.

Annie......of the "SO glad I'm out" class.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit