When You Were A JW Did You Ever Stand For The National Anthem?

by minimus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

In the early days I often stayed seated until I learned to come into the movies or sporting event after the Anthem was played.

When I first woke up to TTATT I was at a sporting event with my niece and her husband JW`s and I forgot about the Anthem being played so I stood up and my niece said Uncle smiddy ??? And nothing more was said about it.

• JaniceA
    JaniceA

I remember standing for both.

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

I was always taught to stand merely as a sign of respect. I never sang the words or placed my hand over my heart, though.

• minimus
    minimus

You were not supposed to stand for the anthem. Only the pledge of allegiance you could stand for. That was the rule.

• amicabl
    amicabl

Stand but not sing. In Australia nobody seems to know the words, all you hear is a mumble.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I as forced to do it by a teacher in school.

• pbrow
    pbrow

You stand out of respect for the ideals that the flag stands for. I was a born in but stood out of respect.

Kneeling or sitting is a perfect example of freedom of speech but make no mistake it is disrespectful to do so.

pbrow

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

isnt standing for the anthem part of " caesars things "

• St George of England
    St George of England

Yes I sat down at my degree ceremony, most embarrassing.

Years later the "direction" changed-

*** w02 9/15 p. 24 “Salvation Belongs to Jehovah” ***
    "When national anthems are played, usually all a person has to do to show that he shares the sentiments of the song is to stand up. In such cases, Christians remain seated. If they are already standing when the national anthem is played, however, there is no need for them to take the special action of sitting down. It is not as though they had specifically chosen to stand for the anthem. On the other hand, if a group are expected to stand and sing, then merely standing up out of respect but not singing would not constitute sharing in the sentiments of the song."

Also in the 1960' and 70's (UK) it was customary to play the NA at the end of the last film at the cinema. Most JW's I knew would leave as the credits were coming up to save any embarrassment. One cinema I used to visit never played the NA but always played "A groovey kind of love". Never knew why!

George

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

When I left I started, felt a litle weird, but I always felt it was an act of respect not worship

:0)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit