thrown for a loop by Elder

by integ 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• Room 215
    Room 215

Integ... without a doubt there's a '"remnant" of compassionate elders mixed in with the total. Also, sad to say, that men of this quality are being marginalized by the Society's increasingly hard line posture and will at some time in the future be forced to the point of decision.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Integ, I can only echo what most others here have said. What's funny is that I had a similar experience a few months ago with an elder. He was very understanding and non-confrontational, told me about some of the things he had been through as a witness. When I left his house I was totally shook up, wondering if maybe I had closed the door on JW life too quickly. But as many have pointed out, there are many fine, decent, men serving as elders. They are totally sincere, and work very hard to fulfill what is expected of them. I am sure many of them have had many a sleepless night over issues that they have had to deal with. The problem is they are as trapped in a corrupt self-serving organization as anyone else in the Hall.

That which is crooked cannot be made straight.

NoAp

(of the "I will quit with the me-too posts now" class)

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Integ,

I understand how you feel. A well meaning 'sister' called me the other day, begging me to return, that she loves and misses me, ect. I believe she was sincere. Just as I know that she would sincerely shun me if she knew the half of what I don't believe anymore. I was reading a novel that had a character say 'The only people Jehovah's Witnesses like is other Jehovah's Witnesses!' Now that's the truth. I am amazed how warm, loving sincere people can turn on eachother in a heart beat if the borg tells them too. As others have already said, there are good JW's, I know a few and I will always love them. It doesn't change the fact that they belong to a religion that destroys lives.

• aunthill
    aunthill

Years ago, in the 1970's when the Elder arrangement had been just been instituted, my PO was a very caring and sympathetic man. He served as PO for one year. Well, after his year was up, he completely fell apart - stopped going to meetings, etc., poor guy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit