Final Observations

by Esmeralda 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

I'm an observant person.

I became that way back in what I call the 'wallflower years' of my life, when I could very easily blend into the woodwork of any room I walked into without anyone looking up. I became a student of human nature and watched how people interacted, and that study has come in handy at many points.

Sometimes, though, I don't realize when I'm opening a can of worms. The now ridiculously long thread I started the other day is the latest example. I didn't think folks would reply. I hoped they wouldn't. I asked them not to. I guess its reverse psychology, because nearly everyone responded.

I had the thought after the fact that if I put my viewpoint out there, and people did respond, that it might degrade. It turned out like a bad science experiment in the end: it exploded.

But I don't think it was a worthless experiment. It showed, pretty clearly I think, the true colors of many of the posters. I was given responses that were meant to be condescending. Nothing compared to the whippings I used to get on H2O, mind you, but still they were intended to put me in my place.

How dare I not feel welcome?! See how welcome you are! SEE HOW WELCOME YOU ARE?! Even typed in capital letters so that the most simple minded of us could understand, and the half blind like me could see.Very thoughtful.

Everyone has been going on about their right to freely express their opinions and how they love that freedom but it seems when others express their feelings suddenly, they're uncomfortable.

I said that it made me feel bad when people complained that the board was better before the new people arrived. I hoped that if they knew that the statement effected others that way, that maybe they'd stop saying it, at least publicly. Maybe they could say it to each other in e mail.

Instead, I got restaurant and coffee shop and Krispy Kreme metaphors. I didn't know that there was a whole process to being accepted in this online community. I've been in lots of them. Usually, you introduce yourself, behave, and eventually you start to feel at home.

I feel like I'm trespassing here. And if an H2O war veteran like me can feel that, what about lurkers who are thinking about posting for the first time? Are they going to feel like they can safely jump in? Or will they think, gee, I better not put my two cents worth in or else I'll end up taking someone else's imaginary 'table'.

So, I would humbly submit the following warning labels for exJW chat rooms/message boards, this one and others:

Warning: Contents under pressure. Do not expose to heat, sparks or open flames.

This is the disclaimer label on the spray that I use to clean my bathroom. I was thinking about
    the boards while carrying out this task, and the words seemed to fit.

When you get so many people together with so many issues, you're going to end up with more baggage
    than Samsonite. I'm amazed at the amount of congregational behavior that people have carried out of the Kingdom Hall with them.

I think it's a shame that there is a counter that keeps track of the number of posts, effectively dividing people into 'classes'. It has left me feeling, at times, like I used to when the elders determined my worth by how many hours in field service I turned in. How would it be if the classes were called "Publisher Class" "Aux. Pioneer Class", Regular, Special, pioneer class, Elder class and all the way on up to Governing Body Class? How appealing would the labels be then?

Some folks on the boards try to lead and get frustrated when others don't follow their example. Be they the Science sector, folks who've rediscovered their Christianity since leaving the Borg etc. Still preaching, trying to get converts for whatever they've used to fill the void that leaving the Tower left in their lives. They still believe that what they believe is right and therefore should be right for everyone else too. I learned quickly not to waste my breath going round and round with them.

"If abused, may be habit forming."

Try to fill the whole void in your life after leaving the Borg with exJW online activities and you will end up feeling emotionally strung out in no time.

"Void where prohibited."

Board posters who want to get along with others should govern their behavior around minors, and emotionally charged topics (such as pedophelia) carefully. VERY carefully.

"Please don't feed the animals."

If you know that someone is about as lucid or reasonable as a rabid racoon, don't keep trying to debate them, following them from thread to thread to try to make your point . They won't hear you and you'll just succeed in annoying other people.

"This substance is not for everyone. Some may experience serious side effects. Discontinue use if irritation persists."

If the environment works for you, great. If not, don't try to make it what you want to be. Reform doesn't work, for the Watchtower, or for any group environment.

"This site is in no way intended to substitute for proper medical care."

Okay, many ex JW's need psychiatrists. This is a fact. And since we're venting our stuff here, it's bound
    to collide and get messy. I've done my psychiatrist time so I feel that I can say this without prejudice.

"Your mileage may vary."

How long you keep posting on the boards will depend on several factors: how far you come in your recovery, how long it takes you to redefine yourself. Eventually, I believe, everyone moves on.

So in the end, after spending about a year and a half reading, and posting to message boards the only thing I can say is that they are a wonderful resource for people who have questions about the organization and the newly out. But they should come with a few warnings. They're sort of like halfway houses, where folks go after the life altering event of leaving the organization.

Myself, I think I'm ready to try to make it 'out there' in the world. I'm ready to mainstream! *lol*

"The opinions expressed herein are not those of the management of this network."

In other words, I don't expect anyone to agree with anything I've said here. I won't be offended by whatever replies are posted, because contrary to popular belief, I don't take what anyone says here personally. You can't please everyone, and you won't even end up pleasing yourself if you try.

Simon, I hope I haven't stepped on too many toes during my time here. I just wanted to contribute. Thanks for the opportunity.

Be well and happy everyone! Life is too short not to be.

"This is the end of our broadcast day."

• ianao
    ianao

Esmeralda:

Want to know what's REALLY SAD!?

Whether you like it or not, NONE OF THIS SHIT WAS AN ISSUE BEFORE THE (H)ELL(2)(O)FFER FOLKS CAME OVER TO THIS DB.

SAD... But TRUE.

Folks would get mad, folks would make up, folks would learn from their mistakes.

Not now. Now, it's a big pile of RUBBISH. Not that I personally blame anyone, as I have my own chip to contend with.

Really wish you would stick around though, as you are one of the more "reasonable" posters.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Well I didn't post to the other thread becuase I didn't feel like it. I read this post and don't really understand why you feel the way you do. I remember when you first started posting here, and I was glad to see you and you got a big welcome thread!!!

I started posting here at the end of January. I guess I'm not the kind of person that wonders if I'm excepted or not, I just jump right in. And I felt right at home from the start, maybe it's just me, but I really don't see the basis for people getting upset.

If something upsets you then don't read the post. I've stayed out of several posts because I 'didn't feel like it', but that doesn't mean people aren't wanted.

I dont' know I just don't get it, I think this place is a great coffee house, bring your own table and chairs if you need to! I guess perhaps this is why we have Starbucks, and Seattle's Best, and several other kinds of places, find your nitch, or make one! That's all I can say!

Venice

• shalom
    shalom

ianao,

i agree. i lurked here for a while before the influx of posters from h20 and the atmosphere has definitely changed. my opinion is so what?
    it's still a great place to be and exchange ideas and make friends. ignore the people you don't like and talk to the ones you do. and if we all do that (because most of us dislike the same few characters) those people will eventually get a clue and leave. and if they don't, well they do provide some amusement i suppose.

shalom
    p.s i would just like to add that i have felt very welcomed by the 'older' posters and have not been given the impression that they want all of us newbies to leave

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Hey Essie, my special little sister, don't let the screen door hit you on the way out. I'm counting on seeing your name on the big screen sometime, be sure and tell us when you land your first big role! And keep taking those drama lessons! They are definately working.

• shalom
  • jimmyjames
    jimmyjames

Hi Es,

: I said that it made me feel bad when people complained that the board was better before the new people arrived

Anyone who complains about that hasn't learned what a discussion board is for yet. What they're really looking for is a private mailing group, and that's where they need to go. It's easy enough to set one up, and it also takes less than a minute to set up a private chat room at talk city.

What's really sorry is when people complain about the "atmosphere" or "morale" of a discussion board. Each post begins with the posters name and no one holds their eyes open and forces them to read the posts of people they don't want to read. It's not like a real house where you have to hear whatever someone says whether you like it or not. They have total control over what they read and who they listen to. Whining about someone else's presence on the board is just nonsense.

: I think it's a shame that there is a counter that keeps track of the number of posts, effectively dividing people into 'classes'. It has left me feeling, at times, like I used to when the elders determined my worth by how many hours in field service I turned in

It's one of the most useless features a discussion board can have. It tells you nothing about whether a person's posts are interesting or thought-provoking or worth spending time reading. I'd rather read a newbie who has something to say than a "jedi-member" (that's the highest one, right?), 90% of whoms posts amounted to something like:

(((((((so-and-so)))))))!!!!! I think so too!

: How long you keep posting on the boards will depend on several factors: how far you come in your recovery, how long it takes you to redefine yourself. Eventually, I believe, everyone moves on

Or how many online friends you make on these boards. I've hardly talked about JW-related things in quite a while. I post here and chat because I admire a lot of posters I've met and want to stay in touch and read what they have to say.

jimmyjames

P.S. Don't take off for good Essie. The board will be missing a bright mind.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I am still new and I jumped right in. Screw anybody who doesn't like me responding and posting to everything. I'm opinionated and I don't care.

I for one will miss you Esmeralda. I didn't get to know you well (or at all) but I liked your name.

Good luck to you.

p.s. People like Venice are the true problems around here!

. o O (slipnslidemaster)

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Esmeralda:

Don't you think you might be overreacting a bit to some perceived impressions on your part? Taking things a little too personally, despite your assertion to the contrary?

I'm sorry, but I've not seen any instances of the so-called "old timers" (and the oldest of them is all of about 14 months old!) being unwelcoming to newer ones. Quite the opposite, in fact. Mildly reminiscing about how things were is not the same as wishing to go back to those times and be rid of new aquaintances.

Now in this post there is an negative emotional reaction from you to those who posted in your previous thread to try and assure you of your welcomehood. Damned if they do, damned if they don't, sort of thing. I don't get it. (Bloody dumb male! )

This is a discussion board. That's all. We share our experiences, get and give good advice occasionally, disagree sometimes. But it's not, or should not become, such an important part of our life that we stew about it during the day, or allow what we read on it to harm our happiness and mental peace.

Maybe then it's a good idea to reduce involvement. It's your choice. If you do decide to no longer participate, then please accept my best wishes to you. If you continue, I, like many others, will be glad and enjoy reading your thoughts.

Find your own balance you must, as Simo...er Yoda would say.

Expatbrit.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Oh, and Jimmyjames:

((((((Jimmyjames))))))!!!!! I think so too!

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit