John 1:1 - Good information

by Dansk 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Soon I will try to comment on some of the posts in this Thread.

First, I wanted to say that I really liked Dansk's original post in this Thread, and I want to thank him for posting that list of Bible Translations, in which John 1:1 says that The Word is God.

Below, I am going to post his list, and I am going to add more Translations that read the same at John 1:1.

BIBLE TRANSLATIONS WHICH STATE THAT "THE WORD WAS GOD":

Douay-Rheims (1899) - "and the Word was God".

Rotherham - "and the Word was God".

King James Version (1611) - "the Word was God".

Jerusalem Bible - "and the Word was God".

The New Life Testament - "the Word was God".

The Berkley Version - "and the Word was God".

New Translation (Darby) - "the Word was God".

Darby (1889) - "and the Word was God".

New King James Version - "and the Word was God".

Modern King James Version - "the Word was God".

Revised Standard Version (RSV) - "and the Word was God".

New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) - "and the Word was God".

American Standard Version (ASV) - "and the Word was God".

The New International Version (NIV) - "the Word was God".

International Standard Version (ISV) - "and the Word was God".

Numeric English New Testament - "the Word was God".

The New American Standard Bible (NASB) - "and the Word was God".

The New Testament in Basic English - "and the Word was God".

Young's Literal Translation of the Bible - "and the Word was God".

Webster Bible (1833) - "and the Word was God".

The Literal Translation of the Holy Bible - "and the Word was God".

New Century Version - "and the Word was God".

New Living Translation (1996) - "In the beginning the Word already existed. He was with God, and he was God".

World English Bible - "and the Word was God".

Analytical-Literal Translation - "and the Word was God [or, was as to His essence God]".

Contemporary English Version - "The Word was with God and was truly God".

English Majority Text Version - "and the Word was God".

Holman Christian Standard Bible - "and the Word was God".

Wesley's New Testament - "and the Word was God".

Amplified Bible - "and the Word was God Himself".

English Standard Version - "and the Word was God".

21st Century King James Version - "and the Word was God".

Worldwide English New Testament - "The Word was God".

Wycliffe New Testament - "In the beginning was the word, and the word was at God, and God was the word. [In the beginning was the word, that is, God's Son, and the word was at God, and God was the word.]".

Good News Bible - "and the Word was God".

GOD'S WORD Translation - "and the Word was God".

"The Message" Bible - "The Word was God".

Third Milennium Bible - "and the Word was God".

Hebrew Names Version (2000) - "and the Word was God".

The New Testament in Modern Speech (Weymouth) - "and the Word was God".

The New Testament in Modern English (Montgomer) - "and the Word was God".

The New Testament in Modern English (Phillips) - "that word, was with God, and was God".

The text of the Emphatic Diaglott (published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society)

English Bible - "and what God was, the Word was". "and the Logos was God".

Today's English Version - "and he was the same as God".

New Translation of the Bible (Moffatt) - "the Logos was divine".

Complete Bible---An American Translation (Smith & Goodspeed) - "the Word was divine".

The NET Bible - "and the Word was fully God".

The New American Bible - "and the Word was God".

Recovery Version - "and the Word was God".

Concordant Version (Knoch) - "God was the Word".

Simple English Bible - "and the Message was Deity".

International English Bible; Extreme New Testament (2001) - "the Word was God* [Footnote: or Deity, Divine, which is a better translation, because the Greek definite article is not present before this Greek word]".

Philip Harner, JBL, Vol. 92 (1974) - "The Word had the same nature as God".

Translator's New Testament (1973) - "The Word was with God and shared his nature".

Revised English Bible (1989) - "what God was, the Word was".

Scholar's Version-The Five Gospels (1993) - "The Divine word and wisdom was there with God, and it was what God was".

I believe that is about 57 different Bible Translations, in which John 1:1 says The Word [Jesus] was God!

And I am sure there are more Translations, I just don't have the time to find them all.

Here is the Watchtower's "New World Translation":

John 1:1 (NWT): In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.

Below are some more Verses which show that, since the Word is God, He must be the True God, or He is a false god:

Isaiah 45:21-22: Declare and bring near; yes, let them take counsel together. Who has declared this of old? Who has told it from then? Is it not I, Yahweh? And there is no other God besides Me; a just God and a Savior; there is none besides Me. Turn to Me, and be saved, all the ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.

Exodus 20:2: I am Yahweh your God, who has brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.

Also, I would like to point out that the Jehovah's Witnesses [and some other Cults] make a big point of the fact that in John 1:1, where it says "the Word was God", there is no article [the word "The" in Greek; "Ho"] before the word God.

However, there is also NO article before the word "God" in the Greek, in the following Scriptures either, but the Watchtower's New World Translation does not say "a god" in these Verses - why is that?:

John 1:12 (NWT): However, as many as did receive him, to them he gave authority to become God’s children, because they were exercising faith in his name;

Why doesn't the Watchtower translate that Verse like this:

However, as many as did receive him, to them he gave authority to become a god’s children, because they were exercising faith in his name

John 1:18 (NWT): No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is in the bosom [position] with the Father is the one that has explained him.

No man has seen a god at any time; the only-begotten god who is in the bosom [position] with the Father is the one that has explained him.

Mark 15:39 (NWT): Now, when the army officer that was standing by with him in view saw he had expired under these circumstances, he said: "Certainly this man was God’s Son."

Now, when the army officer that was standing by with him in view saw he had expired under these circumstances, he said: "Certainly this man was a god’s Son."

I will post more info soon.

If anyone wants to E-Mail me for any reason, here's my E-Mail Address: [email protected]

• yucca
    yucca

heres a simple demonstration of the trinity. u have 1 egg. shell , yolk, white but 1 egg. there are 324 messianic prophecies in the old testament concerning JESUS. The old testament is the new testament concealed. The new testament is the old testament revealed.there are web sites that explain trinity. Pray and ask God for understanding when you read the bible

• yucca
    yucca

heres a simple demonstration of the trinity. u have 1 egg. shell , yolk, white but 1 egg. there are 324 messianic prophecies in the old testament concerning JESUS. The old testament is the new testament concealed. The new testament is the old testament revealed.there are web sites that explain trinity. Pray and ask God for understanding when you read the bible

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Herk said:

If ordinary readers had never heard of the Trinity or of JWs, I really doubt they would see a hint of Jesus Christ in John 1:1.

Herk, I honestly do not know how anyone could read the Scriptures and NOT immediately realize that Jesus is The Word [Logo]:

John 1:1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14-17: And the Word became Flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. John testified concerning Him and has cried out, saying, "This was He of whom I said, 'He who comes after me, has come to be before me, because He was before me.' " And out of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace. For the Law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came to be through Jesus Christ.

1 John 1:1-3: That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have gazed upon, and our hands have handled, concerning the Word of Life -- and the Life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and we declare to you the Eternal Life which was with the Father and was manifested to us -- that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, in order that you also may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.

1 John 5:7: For there are Three that bear witness in Heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit: and these Three are One.

Revelation 19:11-13: And I saw Heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns, having Names written, and a Name written that no one knows except Himself. And He is clothed in a robe having been dipped in Blood, and His Name is called The Word of God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit