Did You Feel That You Were Being Controlled WHILE You Were A Witness?

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Of course! We were all controlled by the wt to some extent. We probably all believed that we were just following the bible's counsel. What we didn't realize is that the wt created and sold to us their own version of reality!

The wt became masterful at creating narratives and convincing others, namely us, that they were true!

.just saying!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Controlled?

No.

Not free?

Yes.

• Holden Caufield
    Holden Caufield

I felt that way toward the end myself this year 2018 marks 10 yrs being out.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I had to think for a minute about this question. I don't think I felt controlled while I was in, but I clearly was. I was duped to think I had "free will," which I clearly did not.

Cult mentality. sigh

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I can say I’m glad my deluded self didn’t require a life saving blood transfusion while I was a JW.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

As a born-in I didn't like some of the things I was not able to do but I didn't connect the word control to how I felt. It wasn't until I started waking up about the wt. cult where I made the connection. The cult was hammer deep into me. Still Totally ADD

• minimus
    minimus

Once you accept that you are in a cult, you recognize that you are under their control.

• AnonVet
    AnonVet

Hell yes.

Especially at the assemblies.

Park over there, not where it makes most sense.

Limit yourself to two towels.

Take your trash home with you.

Put your bags under your seat.

The list was endless.

I was happy to not go to those things any more. My spouse went for a year after I left, but finally let loose after a year and now we both don't go to anything.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

M:

They didn’t accomplish much with me.

I came in as a young working adult. I already had independence and this sort of makes a person less susceptible. It became apparent to me that Jehovah’s Witnesses’ nerviness and intrusiveness knew no bounds. I instinctively kept them at bay and rebuffed “suggestions” that I quit my full time job to be more spiritual 🙄. Glad I never did that. I also didn’t allow myself to get cornered to do favors.

Another way they tried to be controlling was to instigate shunning by a certain individual and their family because I refused a shepherding call. This didn’t work though because I just ignored them back. Shunning doesn’t work without an audience and me not reacting robbed them of an audience.

Looking back on all this nonsense and drama just impresses upon me how controlling and manipulative the whole religion is. I can’t imagine anybody in their right mind wanting to subject themselves to this.👎🏻

• zeb
    zeb

anon vet. Assemblies.

Yes this used to intrigue me that everyone had to be told to behave as any 'worldly' person would without being told.

I often thought 'how silly do they think we are?'.. well they obviously though 'we' were all very silly.

The worst behaviors in seating, parking,and at hotels all featured the born ins ---

LHG. Yes they hated anyone with any independence. I recall meetings after meetings that hammered the need for those who were without kids to go pioneering. It gave me the shits! There was but one couple who were enjoying their double incomes and nice house and didn't give a toss for pioneering. No it was not us we had kids.

control? control? the word should have been up on those buildings not 'Watchtower'..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit